• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Wrecked my Guzzi... Engine Swap?

Arron Jackson

Just got it firing!
Hey guys,

New to the forum. I was riding my 2016 V7 Stone on a long trip and had a flickering oil light come on during acceleration while I was in the middle of nowhere. When I got to town I filled her up with oil but the next day I only made it a few hundred feet before there was a loud ting sound coming from the engine and a loss of power.

It seems that due to parts availability and peace of mind that either parting the bike out or swapping the engine are my only options. I was wondering if you could provide me with information as to which engines will swap over and what gaskets, etc I will need for the job. My dad can help me with the swap and I think it should be doable in our home garage, let me know if I'm wrong.

Are these suitable donors?

ebay.com/itm/312088976851

ebay.com/itm/303370236126

Do note that links to other sites are not permitted. Look below the banner there is a note about hyperlinks. Buying an engine you still don't know what you are getting. The V7 engine is pretty straight forward so you may be ahead of the game to rebuild the engine you have.

at least find out what's broken before you go looking into a swap.

the shipping alone on either of those engines might be most of the parts you need.

at least find out what's broken before you go looking into a swap.

the shipping alone on either of those engines might be most of the parts you need.

It could be straightforward like a camshaft or other, but the fact that the engine was run dry means that there's substantial risk for other components to show their damage later on

Do note that links to other sites are not permitted. Look below the banner there is a note about hyperlinks. Buying an engine you still don't know what you are getting. The V7 engine is pretty straight forward so you may be ahead of the game to rebuild the engine you have.

True, I guess an eBay engine could be shady. Waiting for parts to arrive for a Guzzi engine takes months, as well as the uncertainty of the condition of the other internals. That's mostly why I'm considering an engine swap.

It could be straightforward like a camshaft or other, but the fact that the engine was run dry means that there's substantial risk for other components to show their damage later on
yes, there's risk, that's why I'm suggesting you check. dismantle, look, measure, etc. if you've already given up on the engine, there's no real risk and much to be gained.

yes, there's risk, that's why I'm suggesting you check. dismantle, look, measure, etc. if you've already given up on the engine, there's no real risk and much to be gained.

Fair enough. It's out of my skill set tbh. I'm thinking an engine swap will be more economical that paying someone to dissect the engine.

Engine swaps are definitely the most economical for a low oil destroyed engine. Know that most all engines on eBay should be considered for parts only, regardless of what they say in the description or on running videos. Most I've gotten from eBay weren't worthy of the shipping cost alone. They all had issues. Most are major crash damaged/complete write-off loss bikes.

For your 2016, you do not want a V7 III engine for the simple reasons of how many headaches it will cause getting it to run correctly with the the stock TB/ECU.

Only thing is it takes same ECU as yours. I'd try to get one from your country, cheaper shipping or closer pick-up.
On the smallblock the crank goes real quick w/o oil.

First before you assume you wrecked the engine have you read the below posts. Yours might be one of the bad units. I don't know about Canada, but if it's still in warranty I'd go begging to Guzzi if this is it. If they don't step up to the plate with a new engine totally maybe if you cover labor they will. What about a class action suit. There were quite a few of these. The Atlanta dealer had 2 engines sitting on his floor when I was there this week.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/posts/159523/

Back