Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

XMSN output oil seal stuck

Discussion in 'Loop & Tonti' started by Nathan Stanley, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Nathan Stanley

Nathan Stanley Just got it firing!

This is my last, and longest lasting oil leak to correct before the bike goes back together to ride. The PO used a non-standard seal in this spot. It is metallic, thin, and didn’t actually seal at all against the speedo drive. There isn’t any seal material, it’s just a flat washer-like piece, although it is imprinted with numbers like a seal would be. The trouble is, a liquid compound was used to affix it in place to the rear cover, and has a blue hue. I’m guessing blue thread-lock. I wanted to complete this job without crabbing the frame and completely removing the xmsn. I drilled some holes in the seal in attempts to get some purchase on it, but it is in there pretty solidly. Any recommendations that require less work than complete disassembly?
    Thanks!

upload_2020-7-18_10-17-41.jpeg

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

It looks like you have removed the speedometer drive collar, if you haven't do so but don't drop the little steel ball that locks the collar to the output shaft. It is in the longest groove on the output shaft. Then see if you can get a cotter pin puller behind the seal and carefully work it out. I've done it a couple times, but didn't have to fight the blue stuff. Perhaps heating the area first with an electric heat gun will help by softening the sealant and expanding the case in that area.

3. Nathan Stanley

Thank you, John. Yep, retaining nut, speedo drive, and drive ball are removed.
    I don’t have a heat gun, but I suppose I could try carefully and slowly with a bbq lighter. I could always use an offset plier; better pick one of those up. That will probably give the best bite on the material.

4. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

If you have a harbor freight or similar nearby you can pick one up relatively cheap. You will find it comes in handy for many uses. I don't recommend using an open flame as gearbox oil will burn.

harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-56434.html

5. Nathan Stanley

Harbor freight heat gun... check.
    Offset pliers... check.
    Stuck seal... out in 3 minutes!

john zibell likes this.
  6. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Ok, you got me here.

Offset pliers? What are you talking about? Do you mean pliers with a bent tip?

I’m confused because I’ve never heard or seen that term.

When I cannot fit a standard “anchor shaped” seal puller, this little bugger gets the job done! Hook it, hold the bent end keeping your hand safely below the round metal striker, then and tap the round striker with a small hammer. Done!

Mayhew Pro 37019 Seal Puller

C0798CBE-A4EB-4076-8624-75D68D31DED5.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  7. Nathan Stanley

Yes, bent tip needle nose or long nose pliers. After a short trip to the search engine, I realize that they don’t have a common nomenclature. It seems to change depending on manufacturer.
    Either way, they worked. I think most seal tools would get the job done, aside from the anchor type, but I wasn’t making any progress because of the thread lock that was used to glue it in place. The heat gun softened it enough to release.
    That tool you posted looks pretty nifty! I’m not sure it would have worked in the space I was confined to.