• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ZARD slip-on

Phang

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
PDSCN6618.jpg

This is an initial impression on the ZARD slip-on I fitted 2 weeks ago.

Bike is 2009 Griso 8V SE running on the stock map as delivered. Dealer tried to upload the GRS8V068 map twice but not successful. The bike is bone stock, running fine for the past 6500km (4000miles) on stock map and muffler.

I always want to have a little growl from the stock muffler so I ordered a ZARD homologated slip-on, that’s a street legal muffler with db killer tack welded to the end cap.

I have rode the bike 3 times since the change, each ride was 120km (75 miles) with a mix of highway and city riding. Here are my impressions after the change:-

- No noticeable back fire, no popping on deceleration and throttle closing.
- The rush felt during transition from pre 5500rpm to 5500rpm and beyond is less pronounced. The engine is pulling linearly with no “step” around 5500rpm.
- Engine rpm dropped to idling rpm very fast when I close the throttle and pull in the clutch lever, as if a lighten flywheel is fitted.
- Engine surge a little when I hold a steady throttle below 4000rpm, very annoying.

I am not sure I like the new muffler, I will give myself more time to get use to the new power delivery characteristic. Honestly, the bike felt not as fast based on my butt dyno but the sound of the new pipe is intoxicating.

Phang

Phang, there shuld be no impediment to loading the #68 map. As far as I know, and by what Navigator tells me, the only other alternative map is one for the Japanese market.

I would guess that either there is some glitch in their Navigator, (Have all the recent updates been done? What version are they running?) or they are doing somethng wrong. Nothing to be ashamed of in that, we are told next to nothing about how the whole rotten device works, it's left up to us to work it out!

If your mob want to email me I'll talk 'em through it. Not trying to tread on anybody's toes, but I don't see why it should be a problem??

Otherwise, if you want to pull the ECU and ride your Kawa for a week or two you can send it to me and I'll stick it on my b1ke and upload the map for you.

Pete

That’s very kind of you Pete. Thank you!

We have only 2 Griso 8V in the country so I don’t expect them to do it (map uploading) very often too. I will send a PM to you on this matter.

Phang

Phang, also be aware that the TPS will need to be set/verified... either a dealer or the VDST Kit I offer can do it. I've noticed that the TPS does wonder, even in as little as a few days on occasion. I've only seen one (out of dozens I've seen here at my garage) that stayed dead on.

Hi Todd, the first thing I checked when I rode the bike home with the new muffler was the TPS value. (I got my VDSTS from you ;) )

It was 4.6 The last TPS value check was 3 months/3000km/1800miles ago, it was 4.6 too.

The surging was not unbearable, it is more like a bad hair cut, you only notice it and frown when you deliberately pay attention to it.

Phang

1Dec2010a.jpg

Phang, good to hear of another TPS not wondering... I know you have the VDST Kit (thanks again), I just posted because it is information that is rarely posted, and contributes to immensely better running.

Mine had the same low rpm surging at 20 mph. It was fixed when Pete loaded the 068 map and I put the db killer back in the Zard (mine is removeable with a circlip).

I was wondering about the TPS re-set but, thinking about it, the signal that comes from the TPS should remain constant. It's how it is interpreted by the ECU that changes with the re-set. The TPS itself is only a simple rheostat innit?

Anyway I can have a look at that if Phang sends me his ECU. If he has the VDSTS it isn't an issue anyway.

I must say that I don't see TPS signals varying much either. When I re-set mine when I did the last map upgrade which was donkeys years ago it went to 4.8, which is where they all go with the #68 map, and it resolutely refuses to change ever since. The only thing that should cause it to change after all is wear in various linkages and spindles allowing the pysical position of the RH butterfly to change.

Pete

Just for discussion purposes as my bike is still under warranty, my dealer maybe reading this now or they may read this in the future before the warranty expire in another 18 months. No, I am not going to pick up my wrenches
wink.gif

I just flip through the Guzzi manual, it seems the ECU removal on Griso is rather straight forward, anyone has done this before? Do you need to remove the tank?

Phang

ecuremoval.jpg

Some times you'll find that the bolts are reluctant to come out, the ones that hold on the ECU at the front. There is another 8mm head on the engine side pf the mounts and sometimes its easier to drop it off there. Really though, its no big deal on a Griso.

Pete

I just went through the part fiches of Griso 8V. Apparently, besides the obvious ornamental bits, the only difference between a normal G8V and a GSE is the exhaust mid pipe.

The part number for the exhaust mid pipe is GU06124800 for normal G8V. Griso SE has a different part number 978885.

Online articles that I have read say GSE has different camshafts, some say it has camshafts from Stelvio, different fuel injectors, different airbox. When I check and compare the part numbers in the part fiches, they are all the same as the normal G8V.

If the GRS8V068 map can improve the fueling on a normal G8V, I am sure it can do the same to the GSE since the mechanical difference between the two models are very minimum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I also made a comparison between pre-2010 models and 2010 model while browsing through the part fiches. 2010 model has quiet a bit of changes comparing to the 07,08 and 09 G8V models. These are the parts bearing a new part number for 2010.

Exhaust headers
Muffler
ECU
Injectors?
Mirrors (black plastic aprilia mirror as in GSE)
Cylinder heads
Camshafts

Phang

Hi Pete, is next week a good time if I send the ECU to you?

I have a question, do you need the ignition key of my bike as well?

I am not sure the code of the immobilizer key is store in the dash unit or the ECU. If the code is store in the ECU, your Griso Verde key code will not be recognized by my ECU when you stick it to your Griso Verde.

Phang

I just took a photo of the Griso 8V SE ECU. There are 3 set of codes on the ECU casing that match the codes display at the bottom of VDSTS window.

IAW5AM - ECU type obviously
MG978406.0 – ECU part number
2230G801 – Original Map number :?:

2009G8VSE.jpg

1Dec2010a.jpg

Well my toothy friend your ECU lobbed into my mailbox today. I'll slip it onto the Griso Verde tomorrow AM and see if I can re-programme it, (I don't see it being an issue.). You want me to send it back how? I usually use Australia Post but if you'd prefer another way lemme know.

Pete

Thanks for informing me Pete, Australia Post website shows it was delivered at 12:49pm Bungendore time. Quite impressive as it only takes 3 working days to reach you.

Please take your time, I am not in a hurry to ride the Griso. I've learnt that you are “cripple” at the moment :mrgreen: so don’t strain your back fiddling with the ECUs while you are still on crutches/wheelchair. You can always do it at a later time.

Australia Post is fine for me. If Singapore Post can deliver the ECU to you in one piece, I have no doubt on Australia Post.

Phang

Yes, I'm a cripple. Result of a botched vasectomy years ago. Never let a miserable Boer doctor stick a knife in your nuts! OK! :blink: . Can't do much at the moment apart from ride, (Which doesn't hurt at all!!! Wah-Hey! and drink beer!!! My entire nether regions are like the magma chamber of a super-volcano full of pus! Lovely!

Hope I haven't spoilt yer dinner! :mrgreen:

Nah. If I can re-flash it I'll have it done tomorrow morning. In the post tomorrow or the next day!!

Pete

Back