• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ZARD slip-on

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out (with the pipe, not your sack Pete). My Griso SE should be arriving in March according to my dealer. They are in US customs now :)

Like the sound-clips I've heard of the Termi pipe, but LOVE the sound of the Zard. Have to verify with my dealer if he'll honor the warranty with the Zard, but I am NOT paying Termi $1200 for a steel slip-on just because it has an eagle stamped on it. I only see the Zard listed as being for the 2v/4v models, so I'm curious about its behavior on the 8v.

The bike looks awesome Phang! Get well soon Pete (ouch)

Dunno what the problem was your end Phang? Map went in fine here. I have also re-set the TPS as this is obviously an interpretive thing done by the ECU but it might be worth you just making sure it all looks OK on your bike. TPS should be at 4.8 degrees with the #68 map in. ECU works fine, I ran it in my bike before replacing it with mine.

Any special instructions on how to send it back? I'll pop it in the post this arvo.

Pete

I have no idea, I am not allowed to walk into the dealer workshop nor talking to the mechanic who actually attempt to upload the #68 map.

No special instruction as long as you don’t sneeze some deadly kangaroo/goat induced virus onto the ECU, just re-use the improvised box and send it back to me via Australia Post. Let me know the total freight charges incurred, I’ll reimburse you via PayPal.

Thanks Pete :)

Phang

It's on its way again EMS. I have a consignment noteand a number of EE722364956AU. Whether that will allow you to track it I have no idea? I included a lock of my pelt so that immigration have cause to blow it up on the air-strip. Make sure you use a toxilogical mask and tweezers to take it out of the bag...... :mrgreen:

Pete

The postman rang my door bell 10 mnutes ago...

I am holding it in my hand again after 10 days, amazing :whistle:

Now if you will excuse me, I got to plug the brain back to the carcass :mrgreen:

G8VSEECU.jpg

Thank you again Pete.

Phang

S'not rocket science mate.

Plug in your VDSTS and a.) Check the TPS setting, (Why you should have to correct this as a separate operation I don't know as it is simply a different interpretation of a signal???) it should be 4.8 degrees, (give or take 0.1 of a degree of so. Throttle snapped shut.) and b.) see what it describes the map as for refference for other board users with VDSTS.

Pete

First thing I checked when I hooked up the ECU, battery and VDSTS is the System ID…. Yes! It shows 2229GRS8V68 instead of the old Map number :woohoo:

SystemID.jpg

oldsystemid.jpg

Before I reset the TPS, the value was 5.7 even though Pete had reset the TPS before he return it to me. A quick run using the VDSTS brought the value back to the magical 4.8, exactly as Pete said.

TPSreadingbeforereset.jpg

TPSreadingafterreset.jpg

I have checked for error code before I fire up the engine, engine started fine with no explosion and now I have to wait for the rain to stop before I can hit the road.

Phang

Interesting the difference in perception of the TPS reading with VDSTS vs. Navigator/Texa. Since no 'Physical'/'Mechanical' items are touched all it can be is an interpretation by the ECU and a reading thereof that is displayed. Next time I'm out in Ca. or around someone else who has VDSTS it will be interesting to do a comparison betwixt the two tools and how they interpret the data supplied.

Pete

I think the minute differences between your TPS and mine is from the slight variation of the TPS mounting position in relation to the butterfly valve spindle. It could be my throttle stop screws are set 1/4 turn more than yours :mrgreen:

Throttle resting at throttle stop screw position may produce slightly different TPS resistance values on individual engine, as long as the ECU is learning that position as throttle fully close position and set it as 4.8, it should have no issue in my opinion.

Phang

I am back from a week long lunar new year holiday in my Malaysia home town.

I only managed to ride the Griso loaded with new #68 map yesterday even though I have refitted the ECU a week ago.

Short version – Hugh improvement over the stock map. (Thanks Pete!)

Long version:

I rode the bike twice yesterday, once in the cooler 24ºC (75ºF) morning and the other in the 32ºC (90ºF) afternoon.

First thing I noticed after I fired up the engine was the punches felt from the two pistons were “meatier”. I have a relatively insensitive butt, if I can feel the difference there must be something different under the seat.

Now, surging at steady throttle opening is gone. Back firing on trailing throttle is gone. Engine output restored to stock condition based on my butt dyno and the post 5500rpm rush is restored as well as the grin on my face :mrgreen:

The green hornet was on old map/stock muffler for first 6500km (4000miles) and I rode/tortured on the old map/ZARD for another 1500km (~1000miles). The #68 map ironed out the annoying surge and back firing I experienced after the muffler change but is it not perfect.

While the throttle respond is smooth with the #68, it will hesitate and feel vague during the transition from throttle fully close to small throttle opening, especially when the ambient temperature is warmer. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being unrideable and 10 being Honda-like. I will rate the old map/stock muffler=7, old map/ZARD=4 and #68/ZARD=8.

In my opinion, any further improvement in terms of power delivery smoothness from #68 map will dangerously kill the Guzzi-ness and make the bike ride like an Honda STX.

Phang

You have removed as much free play as possible from the throttle cables haven't you? That is by far the biggest contributor to on/off 'Snatchiness' of the throttle I've found.

Pete

I have adjusted the throttle cables when I first got the bike 8 months ago, they are probably a little stretched now, thanks for reminding, I’ll check the free play again :mrgreen:

Phang

I just came back from a ride after adjusting the throttle cable slack.

1/6 turn of the throttle cable adjuster magically improved the on/off snatchiness. Sometimes I just refuse to believe such minute adjustment can affect the ride quality of the bike :dry:

Phang

changi.jpg

Congrats Phang! Glad its smoothing out for you. My Tenni will be a 2011 model, so I'm hoping the '68 map is already in it. I'll definitely check the map version as soon as it arrives and is uncrated. Grateful to you and Pete for sharing your trials and experience.

What's your final verdict over stock if you include sound quality?

Hi speedtriple, 2011 SE should run sweet out of the crate though I am curious to see the version of map loaded to the newer Grisos.

First of all, I like the appearance of the stock muffler, so the ZARD didn’t score a point here. The ZARD is not better or worse looking, it is just different in my opinion.

I am sure there is some weight saving but as I mentioned, I have an insensitive butt, I don’t feel the difference when I am on the bike.

The sound worth all the effort and money. Mine is the homologated model (ZG070SSO-B), the sound magnitude of the muffler is quite close to the anti social threshold even with the dB killer installed. It is challenging for me to describe how it sounds in English, the youtube video clip of the ZARD with dB killer below sounds very close to the real thing if you listen to it with proper speakers or earphones (not crappy notebook/laptop built in speakers)

[youtube]UYmAeNLxzYY[/youtube]

That’s only half of the story listening to it at idling and stationary. The addictive and intoxicating part is during the engine pulling from 4000rpm in the lower 4 gears where it emanates a drumming resonance, that’s how a motorcycle should sound :mrgreen:

Phang

Awesome! That is the exact video that made me want the Zard from the beginning. Its great to hear first-hand that the pipe actually sounds that good. While I am most interested in it for the sound, I admit I like the looks slightly better than stock on the SE. I think it fits the retro theme of it just a little better.

My pipe actually arrived last week, now I just need the bike :lol: Thanks for all the feedback Phang!

Man I wish I could have some cheerleaders for my mufflers like those here. :silly:

GT-Rx said:
Man I wish I could have some cheerleaders for my mufflers like those here. :silly:

Make a WAV file or video and post it up! I find that nowadays how a bike sounds when I'm not on it isn't important and as I always ride with earplugs which cuts out most of the higher frequencies and some of the mechanical noise how the machine a.) runs and b.) looks is of far greater importance. I really like the look of the slip-ons you have but can't justify any more expense on the big G as it works very nicely with the Termi.

Pete

Back