• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 V7 clutch cable failure

Tobor

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey guys.....this one is for anyone with a new V7. After putting the first 160 km on mine this weekend, my clutch cable failed. Luckily I was able to pull into a parking lot and stall the bike. Was just a bit unsettling as a new rider to grab the clutch to downshift and have nothing but air when I pulled it.

Come to discover that the cable was not properly secured and was in contact with the right cylinder head. Cable got so hot that it stretched when I grabbed the clutch.

I suggest that anyone with a low mileage bike have a quick look at the routing of the cables.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,050
Thanks for that heads up! All our Stones have insulators on them to prevent overheating, though even my personal Stone's insulator is already a quarter melted through. I'm going to apply heat shields to all the insulators.

Neither Racer on our floor has any kind of insulation whatsoever and clutch cables were both on the cylinders. One had already split (after very low mileage ride).

Also the oil breather hoses (thanks Kev!) on most of the Stones were not secured in the provided hooks under the tank and were also lying on the cylinders.

I have pics up at Wildgoose.

My Stone has a large rubber insulator over the clutch cable where it connects the cylinder head. Still I may look at reinforcing that insulator or pulling the cable away from the head.

thanks my 2013 v7 Racer clutch cable was melting on the cylinder head and I zipped tied it to the throttle body so it's now in the between both cylinders.

Chris

I found the same thing on my V7R when I first brought her home.. if it wasn't for the bad weather that day and my boredom I wouldn't of found it and potentially suffered the same problem as you!

Yes... I don't like the idea of the insulation on the cable. This thing should be routed away from the cylinder head from the get go. I thought my clutch was burning out - it started slipping on the highway. After making an adjustment on the level it was better, but the lever is supe loose now. I decided to follow the cable all the way down and found that the cable was melting on the head. I ended up moving it above the spark plug cable so it rests there instead of on the engine.

Wow, good catch. I've got a little over 4500 miles on my '13 V7R and never noticed it. My clutch cable had wedged itself between two of the cylinder fins and had melted the plastic housing. I pulled it up and 'secured' it with a zip tie to a plastic hook.

Ccable1_zps1bd801c1.jpg

Ccable2_zps6efb483c.jpg

Wow. Same thing on my 2013 V7 Stone. Clutch cable wedged in between the fins and partially melted/split on the housing. The big rubber tube was too far down and not preventing the cable from resting on the cylinder.

Also, the right oil breather hose was not in the hook as well.

Gonna just zip tie the clutch cable so it's lying in-between the cylinders and not on them.

Cable looks fine, just the housing melted/split…any cause for concern or do I need to take action to replace that? Never noticed any problems with the clutch so I'm thinking I should be ok after the fix.

francod123 said:
Wow. Same thing on my 2013 V7 Stone. Clutch cable wedged in between the fins and partially melted/split on the housing. The big rubber tube was too far down and not preventing the cable from resting on the cylinder.

Also, the right oil breather hose was not in the hook as well.

Gonna just zip tie the clutch cable so it's lying in-between the cylinders and not on them.

Cable looks fine, just the housing melted/split…any cause for concern or do I need to take action to replace that? Never noticed any problems with the clutch so I'm thinking I should be ok after the fix.

I actually removed my breather hoses from the hook, because one was rubbing on the tank paint in that position (or maybe it was pushing the spark plug wire up into the tank paint) something like that.

Same issue on my 09 V7 Classic...zip tied the cable to a bracket up out of the way and will see if that does the trick. Srsly, MG engineers?

Wow, good catch. I've got a little over 4500 miles on my '13 V7R and never noticed it. My clutch cable had wedged itself between two of the cylinder fins and had melted the plastic housing. I pulled it up and 'secured' it with a zip tie to a plastic hook.

Ccable1_zps1bd801c1.jpg

Ccable2_zps6efb483c.jpg

You may want to check that your other breather line is looped into that hook as mine was laying against the cylinder as I was looking for a place to zip tie the clutch cable.

My V7 Stone clutch cable failed differently, at 8200 mi. The handlebar end of the cable snapped off without warning. Fortunately, it happened in my driveway as I was coming in from a long ride. Also fortunately, several months ago I bought a spare, "just in case". No obvious reason why the cable failed, there wasn't any binding or hard pulling required, no burning of the casing on the cylinder heads, etc. I'll chalk it up to a manufacturing defect.

You probably need to grease the nipple both at the clutch handle and at the clutch actuator arm. These need to rotate freely to prevent chaffing of the wires .

I think I got mine parked just before full failure this evening. Halfway through my ride, it was becoming very difficult to shift up from first, or back down to first. I also noticed that sitting at rest with no throttle and full clutch, the bike was idling forward. When I got home, I observed the clutch cable sitting directly on the right cylinder head. The cable had an inch or so of insulation, but that was set too low, and thus offered no protection. Low light, so I'll have to check the cable's integrity tomorrow morning.

HI, I have been having problem with the clutch slipping on my 2013 V7 and have just taken it in under warranty. Cable has melted through to steel sheathing. I have been told that the slipping is due to corrosion and that the cable is okay and won't be covered under warranty. I feel I will now have to take this up with Moto Guzzi.

gotta check the cable. we discussed here how the clutch cable was resting between the fins and melting it.

have been told that the slipping is due to corrosion and that the cable is okay and won't be covered under warranty. I feel I will now have to take this up with Moto Guzzi.
This absolutely should be a warranty item. The reason you have corrosion is because of the cable sheathing melting. Simple fix, and the cable is only $20US; So if your dealer won't honor that, shame on them. Does yours have the large rubber bumper around the cable where it rests on the cylinder?

Back