• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 Knock

Catamountrdr

Just got it firing!
Not quite finding answer on the various forums...maybe. I bought a new 2017 V7 in Seattle. Brought it to central Idaho (6,000 foot elevation) in January. It has started to knock loudly under load...as in from a standing start and with each upshift. I have 1,200 miles on it and run non-ethanol premium in it. My feeling is that it is drive train related. Using a stethoscope when idling there appears to be no alarming noises from the engine, but there is a fair amount of noise from the gear box. Also, the bike appears to be running hot, as in a hot rubber smell when parked in shop after a ride.
Thanks for any suggestions.

It has started to knock loudly under load...as in from a standing start and with each upshift. Also, the bike appears to be running hot, as in a hot rubber smell when parked in shop after a ride. Thanks for any suggestions.
Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you are new to Guzzi? You are describing engine detonation and lean running. Extremely well covered topic on this site. Try a search or two.
What octane do you have there? I know higher elevation towns often don’t offer above 89 (which is a problem). Both my ‘17 Stone & Racer had these running issues in stock trim. If you want to solve both it and the lean running, I can solve it for you via this; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool - read the Reviews there.
Hope you'll add your info to the Registry also here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

Not a new purchase Todd. Bike has been in the family for three years. The reason it has been ridden so little is that my 87 year old Dad was riding it. I, myself, am a vintage BSA, BMW guy. However, I did buy my first Moto Guzzi in 1972...a 125 trials bike.

Anyway, as much as I would like to hop on that high tech bandwagon for big bucks, guess I will stick to my Amals, DeLorto's and Bings with points ignition. A hell of a lot less money and easily wrenched on. Looks like the Goose is relegated to a hanger queen. It does look nice nestled in there between the perfectly running 1960's BSA's and BMW's. Funny...I thought that the electronics and injection would make for a more reliable and rideable machine.

Not a new purchase Todd. Bike has been in the family for three years. The reason it has been ridden so little is that my 87 year old Dad was riding it. I, myself, am a vintage BSA, BMW guy. However, I did buy my first Moto Guzzi in 1972...a 125 trials bike. Anyway, as much as I would like to hop on that high tech bandwagon for big bucks, guess I will stick to my Amals, DeLorto's and Bings with points ignition. A hell of a lot less money and easily wrenched on. Looks like the Goose is relegated to a hanger queen. It does look nice nestled in there between the perfectly running 1960's BSA's and BMW's. Funny...I thought that the electronics and injection would make for a more reliable and rideable machine.
Gotcha, good on Dad! Hope he got some enjoyment from it. Unfortunately, such is the modern life of an air-cooled engine in stringent times of emissions. I grew up in gas soaked hands with carbs too, racing from my early youth. Once I figured out digital tuning, I'm happy to never touch them again. I know it's a good deal of money, but I again suggest you read the reviews and the posts here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-v9-gtm-ecu-flash-tool.15762/

Either way, hope you'll post on the Registry linked above.

Todd,

Thanks for staying with me on this. The reason I have sort of dismissed the ECU/Injection issue is that my plugs are showing a nice light brown color and are not showing signs of a lean mixture. BTW...I forgot that although we bought the bike in 2017 it was a NOS 2015.
Anyway, after my discussion with you and several other people I took the bike out for a more thorough evaluation...see below comments. BTW...is there a shop manual available for this bike (2015 V7 Special)? I can't seem to find one listed anywhere.

"Hey...you guys are just like the vintage BSA forums. All good information. The first dealer service was done at Dave's shop in Seattle (Guzzology author). My Dad wasn't particularly happy with the engine service as the mech was a trainee and made a classic mistake on the oil service. Dad never put enough miles (1,248) on it to take it back and now I have the bike in Idaho.

So, the snow is finally gone and it is 50 degrees and sunny. Great day for a ride. After all the previous discussion I took the bike out of the shop and fired it up. Started and idled just fine but I could hear a rotational knock. Very subtle, but increasing as the throttle is advanced. The sound is coming from the back of the engine/gearbox area. Noticed that pulling in the clutch increased the noise level in general.

Anyway, hopped on, put her in gear and pulled away. Definite rotational knock. Heard it through all four blocks of my town until I hit the highway and closed my visor. Took her up to 80 and kept it there for 10 miles. As I slowed down and pulled a U-turn to head back I heard some noise from the drive train, but was busy trying not to dump it in the gravel so didn't look down and try to pin point the noise. Ten miles later as I was pulling into town and downshifting I noticed a howling from the drive train that I could hear through the helmet. Each time I down shifted I got the howling until my speed dropped. When I got to 25 mph in town I noticed the knock again. Definitely rotational. Engine didn't seem to be running hot. There was more noise from the gearbox when actuating the clutch than there was when I first started the bike. Pulled the plugs and they are showing a nice, clean tan color.

Sorry for the long winded report. I'm just used to BSA's and BMW's. You know...the domestic Euro imports. Not my first Moto Guzzi. Just 48 years newer than my last one."

well it's not right and there is no history of problems with the 2015 other thn the 2 minutes needed to warm it up before ridding. I assume u checked the rear end and transmission oil level but I'd dump them and check for crap and use the right amount and type. transmission is a quart 90# and rear end 90/140 about 5.4-5.6 oz. then I'd pull the rear tire and see that the bolts on the housing are tight. next would be the drive shaft. all pretty simple for a guy that can make a amal carb run.

Back