• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2021-on V85TT E5 Performance thread

To start here are my bike mods;

2021 (Euro5) V85
- Arrow Headers and De-cat
- Mistral Muff
- BMC Airfilter (rest of airbox as OEM)
- Evap Mod
- TIP Mod

Ok so now we know that, but I must admit I have found the upmap maps not as good, or should say not as fine tuned as I was expecting. From outset, I want to say the bike idles, runs, revs and goes sooo much better than stock, so no complaints there, but more so the lean / flat spots im getting from various maps. Now of coarse this could be just due to my particular mods, which as we know OTS maps cater to a degree of so much generic mods which would mean a OTS map will never be 99%. Humbly agree and acknowledge this as a fact. But, in all fairness, after trialling 2 different maps - Full Zard System (No Baffle) this was the first map I tried thinking it was the best suited, it went great, but the fuelling was horrendous with severe bucking ect around the 3-3500rpm range which made riding a terrible experience...so ok that map might be just right for as they say, "full zard system" so fair enough they do say that, so went and purchased the "Aftermarket Link pipe and Muff" map to see how I would go. Well, it a lot better overall in terms of fuelling AFR from the very reduced bucking at that rpm, but it is still there? I suppose I just thought the maps would be a little more spot on? I had many modern classic triumphs which I would remap from TTP in England and they were so darn good. I still recommend them as it does transform the bike, but guess, for me, and I reiterate this for me and my mods here in Australia, I find the overall finesse of the maps lacking, but indeed do they transform the bike....solution...save up for a PC6 from Todd...was thinking of just getting the rapid bike module but thought I have the upmap device now may as well utilise that with Todd and his PC6. Anyway just thought I would post my experience so far, many have suggested they experienced this too but after 1000kms it got better for them, so maybe its just a little bit of waiting?

PS, have tried contacting both upMap and Guareschi but no reply as yet....3wks and counting;P

Save up for a PC6... Anyway just thought I would post my experience so far, many have suggested they experienced this too but after 1000kms it got better for them, so maybe its just a little bit of waiting?
PS, have tried contacting both upMap and Guareschi but no reply as yet....3wks and counting;P
I'll combine this with the E5 Performance thread, but my Dyno and AFR data shows a big need for improvement over UpMap's offerings.
The only downside (for now) is no timing adjustment with the PC6 (but possibly soon). My tweaks offer astonishing improvement over UM only.
Don't hold your breath on a reply.

Hi Fluff,

I too am an owner of a 2021 E5 V85TT, and considering the Mistral big bore manifold kit. I am planning to add the air filter too.
Would you say it's made a difference in performance and keeping the engine a little cooler?
I too had a GS for a while, although that was also a great bike, the Guzzi feels a little more involving to ride ;)

thanks in advance
Mark
Hello Mark; I also have a v85tt and made recent modifications with good success;
Hello All; I recently did the SAS delete kit and tip over valve, evap tank modifications;
-2022 V85 E5 Travel
-SAS delete kit installed; ( Yes; one bolt on right side plate was a challenge ) installed plug that came with kit on air box ; capped all other connected hoses and left unit plugged in.
-Tip valve and evap mods; gutted tip valve and left hose going to evap canister; cut other hose off top of canister and plugged all other hoses including one that goes to manifold also left unit plugged in.
-installed Mistral big bore header kit and y-pipe without catalyst, MassMoto carbon slipon with db killer, K&N air filter
-Then performed Upmap download; once complete; I took bike for a ride; smoother throughout the rpm range in all gears; much more lively feeling; seemed like less heat off cylinders; The only negative drawback is I have a flashing yellow check engine light; error code P1309; called UpMap in Italy talk to Simone very knowledgeable. He had me reload map and the error/engine light has cleared and since then the bike runs flawless. Good luck John

Hello; I also didn’t like the E5 lean/hot running of my V85tt; so I did do the decat and the UpMap and it seems to run cooler and richer without any major sacrifice in fuel economy. Good luck John

Thought it would be a good time to give a 2mth review - 1,000km of the Upmap map I have been running. Bike and mods here;
2021 (Euro 5) V85tt
- Arrow HEADERS and De-cat
- Mistral muff
- DNA airfilter
- GTM SAS blanks
- Upmap with "aftermarket tune"

Ok so here we go, long story short from the beginning was using the full system map from upmap which was horrid for me and the above mods....would buck violently at certain rpms due to running lean - which was very surprising to me to be honest, so changed to the aftermarket map which did improve things but certainly not near perfect.

So without re-writing the wheel as it were the bike certainly performs much better than stock, goes alot better than stock, alot cooler than stock, all round an improvement - that is the obvious and undeniable

But after 2mths here are my negative observations;

- Since getting colder here in Straya - Australia, it doesn't like first up cold starts and at times finds it hard or dislikes it - to me feels and smells like overly rich but could be wrong as don't have and data to support this

- Still have lean bucking at particular rpms although much less than my original full system map

- I use 98 Ron octane here in Straya - the highest avaliable as even in stock form anything less resulted in severe pinging with anything less, even with the tune under WOT it will still ping using 98...whether this is tune or timing - lack of ability to change timing might be the culprit?

These are the things I have noticed, and ofcoarse based on "my bike and my mods". I would certainly recommend one to use the Upmap device and map to be "better' than stock, but the maps are really a good compromise of generality of the v85tt. Most might not experience the above depending on the mods you have done, but it really is a stepping stone to get your bike as near to perfect and functional to your mods by getting the GTM PC6 and auto time devices. This will fill in all the gaps plus some.

It's tax time here Straya so waiting for my assessment to be done, and without a doubt, after 2 plus months of having the Upmap map, although better than stock without any argument, I can't wait to put my order in for Todd's PC6 and auto tune which will finally complete the package with the love it deserves.

Hello Todd. I am completely thrilled with my 2023 V85 TT Adventure, well almost. The power is good, but my main issue is I object to thought of the engine not performing to its potential and being choked down by devices such as the catalytic converter and lean fueling. I have been looking and doing lots of reading here and elsewhere to determinea good solution for me. It seems to me the beast system (for me and my budget) is the GTM headers and Y, but I would like to use the stock muffler for now. I understand the cannister delete, SAS blockoff, tip valve defeat and air box work go hand and hand with your system too. However, I am still unclear about the fueling/mapping solution. It looks like the GTM Upmap is one of the best options. I take it that it is tuned to GTMs specifications based upon the type of mods done to the bike, right?

So this would be a recommended package: GTM V85TT headers & Y, GTM Upmap ECU VT85 flash tool, SAS kit, air box mod and high-flow air filter with stock muffler.

Am I correct with what I have written above? Thank you.

Tim

Hi KR, not to speak for Todd, but no the Upmap map WILL NOT be GTM tailored unfortunately . As the Upmap Map will be a OTC map, it will most certainly be a band aid map which will perform better than stock, bit won't be absolutely right for your mods...at best it will be almost good enough... how do I know... well I'm going through the same now. Only way to do this properly is Todd's PC6 with the auto tune, that way you will be basically getting a free dyno and afr run each time you ride and the best possible gains for your mods alone. I have the Upmap map and with my mods it works....almost but it is better than stock. If o have any advice for you if you want to go the Upmap map way, don't....and I repeat don't change anything in the airbox, including filter. Although they say it ok, my tune and lean bucking say otherwise😉👌

Thanks, Warnzie. I'm not necessarily looking to ultimately extract the absolute most power and torque from the engine. I just want to get rid of unnecessary junk on the bike including the cat and cannister, and then map the fueling accordingly. So if the Upmap is better without opening up the air box, we'll that's swell with me.

Regarding the Power Commander 6 with Autotune, it seems as though that's the next (highest?) level because then, no matter the scenario; weather conditions, modifications, etc., it will map the AFR accordingly and you're always good-ro-go, right?

Thanks.

Tim

Am I correct with what I have written above? Thank you.
No. ALL of your answers are in this thread. Start at the beginning and *read*. Please.
I do not respond to all posts here, especially to those who name me in their post(s). Email ONLY via the (GTM) STORE link top of every page.

Hi,

does anyone have experience with their V85TT E5 with a Zard can and a Mistral big bore manifold kit? I was reading on a german forum that this setup is far too loud for long journeys / neighbours.
I have a Zard end can, and considering the Mistral big bore manifold kit to go with it.
The guy on the forum also talks of "torque gaps" with this setup.
Any advice is appreciated before I order my Mistral big bore manifold kit :)

The guy on the forum also talks of "torque gaps" with this setup.

Most assuredly. All Moto Guzzi motorcycles run excessively lean in stock configuration as a result of the E5 standards and other worldwide regulations against emissions.

If you realize this then you will understand that if you do all of those modifications to your motorcycle, I assure you 100% that it will be running catastrophically lean.

You will need a solid fueling solution to put the motorcycle into proper air/fuel ratios.

I would highly recommend that you check the fueling options for your motorcycle in the STORE.

Last edited:
does anyone have experience with their V85TT E5 with a Zard can and a Mistral big bore manifold kit?
You’re new here, so question, did you read this thread from the start? I have dyno’ed and fuel corrected almost every combo on the market, including our own (GTM). You’re posting on a site that links to our sister site using the STORE tab above. Sales support this site you are here asking for (free) information on. You’ll not get my opinion, rather facts that I live in as a Guzzi-focused business owner. While we are both a Zard and Mistral dealer, you’ll see what we sell and endorse there.
Manifold is generally an intake term here, headers better define them. The E5 model runs insanely lean and has catalytic converters in the headers. The fueling MUST be corrected.
Mistral leaves a ~5 hp deficit to our GTM header & Y set. Links on the first post here.

Back