• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

7,500-mile service self-completed

TeeTwo

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
As reported elsewhere on this form (Oil change) I elected to change the oil at 6,000 miles (5,000 miles after the first dealer service @900). My Nav reached 7,500 miles so I completed the remaining service items per the MG service manual (attached), checking every box and documenting with photographs...just in case.

Just thought to share a couple of observations for those intending to undertake their own servicing.

Spark plugs

Removal requires a metric 14mm spark plug socket (in the US they are available at AutoZone $8.99, for a 14 & 18mm socket, 14mm is not sold separately). The OEM spec'd NGK plug middle electrode is iridium tipped. I have used NGK Iridium plugs on all my motorcycles that have plugs under the tank - and never checked them until 18-24K, I just changed them (or had them changed) when pulling the tank for valve checks. They have never been an issue. Nonetheless, I pulled them per the manual. Picture below.

PXL 20240430 150000559

They looked fine, I didn't even brass wire brush them. The gap was between 0.65-0.7mm. The NGK factory spec is 0.7mm. In the MG service manual under removal & check sparks plugs it states 0.7mm, in the aggregated tables of specifications it states 0.8mm. I left them be and re-inserted them. The gap on iridium's shouldn't be adjusted AFAIK, due to the possibility of damaging the tip.

Based on the NGK specs for iridium plug life and my experience of other iridium plugs I will probably not bother with this interim check in future, unless the performance of the motor suggests otherwise. I will simply change them at the valve check interval (15K).

Air filter

Changing an air-filter at 7,500-miles is atypical in my opinion, unless riding in a dusty environment. They are expensive @ $70, but I had one on hand and changed it to preserve the warranty credentials. However, as the photo exhibits below it didn't seem necessary, a couple of flies and tapped out pollen ('tis the season here in VA)...but generally clean. I did insert the new filter.

PXL 20240430 154843030

The air box underneath was oil free. The throttle butterflies are visible (the LHS requires a mirror to view) and were spotless. Once past warranty I will be changing the filter every 15K, which is more typical, unless the performance of the motor suggests otherwise.

To get the airbox cover and the inner frame out, move them slightly forward, then tilt up from the rear. The screws holding these parts in place are very coarse thread self-tappers into the plastic airbox, so snug them down but be careful not to over torque them.

Alternator Belt

An alternator belt should easily outlast the 15k replacement interval, but it is worth checking IMO (even after the warranty lapses). The V100 belt is very short, so it sees the pulleys a lot, and if road debris found its way in there it could damage the belt. It is not easy to see... from the RHS above the three-point engine mounting bracket. I checked in a couple of random spots where the belt stopped after turning over the motor.

PXL 20240430 151926332

Coolant Level

Is easy to see, but not so easy to take a photo for the record, unless well illuminated.

PXL 20240430 153229424

The boundary is also visible with underlighting.
PXL 20240430 153146391

The level was the same as day 1 and is just below the 'minimum' mark. The difference between max and min doesn't appear to be very great and not knowing the brand of coolant used at the factory I am not keen to add fluid from a different manufacturer (even if it is pink OAT), so have left it alone and will continue to check it periodically. Once the brand is known I will maintain it closer to maximum.

I have not had coolant issues others have reported.

All other visual checks OK, photo documented.

Cheers.

T2

Attachments

• MG V100-maint chart.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm old school and grew up using anti-seize on spark plug threads, however, being a longtime user of NGK plugs I overlooked adding information related to avoiding use of anti-seize on the V100 NGK plugs. Per the NGK website -

1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.

Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

Just so you know.

T2

Back