• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Aftermarket Silencer Issue

SandSquid

Just got it firing!
Hello. I’m new here, I just purchased my first MG a couple weeks ago, a 2016 V7 II Stone with 3000 miles. Love the bike! But l have an issue with the aftermarket silencers the previous owner installed. They’re garbage (see pic below) and I want to replace them. Problem is, the rear foot rest brackets were removed and are lost in the void. So no going back to that config unless I can find some decent used ones and reinstall them.

In the meantime, however, I can’t get these current ones tight enough around the header pipe. They’re not going anywhere because the silencer mounting strap is tight and the headers are as well, but it feels wonky to me as there is still a tiny bit of movability by hand at the join when everything is tightened down as much as possible. There are two metal exhaust shims under each silencer where they connect to the header pipe, but I’m not sure if I just need a third one or a different shim altogether.

I don't really mind the current mounting style, with the strap attached the way it is, I had aftermarket reverse cone silencers on my last bike mounted the same way and I was totally cool with it. So, maybe just some suggestion on some well-fitting black silencers for this bike that won’t break the bank would suffice. I just need to figure something out, and your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance IMG 0053

Those are just a $100 set of will fit all bikes. They will fall apart soon. If! The rest of the bike is nice and you plan to keep it buy the full set from the store here. It will need fuel changes too. The 16 v7 II was real lean and an odd ball one off year. Or a old fashioned muffler shop could fix them sort of for another $100 bucks.

Those are just a $100 set of will fit all bikes. They will fall apart soon. If! The rest of the bike is nice and you plan to keep it buy the full set from the store here. It will need fuel changes too. The 16 v7 II was real lean and an odd ball one off year. Or a old fashioned muffler shop could fix them sort of for another $100 bucks.
The rest of the bike is nice and I plan on keeping it. Taking a pic of this eyesore and leaving the rest of the bike out does an injustice. There seems to be a lot to choose from at this store, but I didn't see any that wouldn't require me to find and reinstall the pillion foot rest fittings. Unless I missed something.

Please…

Send GTM an email at info@guzzitech.com as he often has many take off parts from his custom work or work in his workshop in Orange, CA.

Not everything he has is posted on the store. Way too many things, but for $300 you could easily snatch these and he probably has the footpeg brackets.

Did you look at the USED PARTS in the STORE?

Maybe these can fit?

You never know until you ask!

Last edited:
Please…

Send GTM an email at info@guzzitech.com as he often has many take off parts from his custom work or work in his workshop in Orange, CA.

Not everything he has is posted on the store. Way too many things, but for $300 you could easily snatch these and he probably has the footpeg brackets.

Did you look at the USED PARTS in the STORE?

Maybe these can fit?

You never know until you ask!
Great idea!

I saw the black pipes from the V7 III and wondered if they would fit. I have no qualms going back to the original mounting configuration, its just a matter of finding the parts, which I found overseas but they're expensive to ship so it's almost 400 bucks when all is said and done, and that's just to get to the point where I can install Guzzi-specific silencers/mufflers.

I'll send them an email!

So I've been talking with GTM throughout the day. And...

1. No V7 III exhaust parts are compatible with the V7 II
2. I'm probably going back to complete stock, which is fine. Mainly because I can't really afford to purchase decent aftermarket mufflers and a flash unit to map the fueling. It's fine, I actually like the lower look of the stock system. Plus, it'll get me away from the junk that's on the bike currently while I build the funds to get the performance silencers + flash unit.
3. He's going to check tomorrow to see if there are some passenger foot rest supports available.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I’m sorry, I am a V7, V9, V85 moron.

It’s the one platform I don’t own and when I operated my shop, none of my customers ever had one. In fact, I’ve never encountered one in person except at Bill Hagan’s house and then I just looked at it from afar.

I’m glad the used stock pipes will be yours.

I know you will be much happier returning it to stock running condition. That garbage muffler just blows my mind that somebody would actually do that to their motorcycle.

Now, ditch that awful exhaust tape. If you want to significantly reduce your heat, get your headers ceramic coated at Jet Hot Coatings.

My best friend and I did our Stelvio NTX’s and it was truly unbelievably amazing the amount of reduction in shed heat. Besides, they look awesome too! 3 years riding and no visible wear at all.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, I am a V7, V9, V85 moron.

It’s the one platform I don’t own and when I operated my shop, none of my customers ever had one. In fact, I’ve never encountered one in person except at Bill Hagan’s house and then I just looked at it from afar.

I’m glad the used stock pipes will be yours.

I know you will be much happier returning it to stock running condition. That garbage muffler just blows my mind that somebody would actually do that to their motorcycle.

Now, ditch that awful exhaust tape. If you want to significantly reduce your heat, get your headers ceramic coated at Jet Hot Coatings.

My best friend and I did out Stelvio NTX’s and it was truly unbelievably amazing the amount of reduction in shed heat.
Well, sir, there we disagree... to a point. I did the exhaust wrap last night. It's mostly an aesthetic thing that I like, which many people don't. I have no illusions of it being overly effective (though not completely ineffective on single-walled headers). I just like the look of it. So, the wrap stays ;) It's the same reason I wrap the grips in brown leather, want brown leather panniers, and install bar-end mirrors. It suits me. Besides, it really does look better when looking at the bike as a whole rather than that crappy image I added to my original post. But I do appreciate different points of view on the subject.

What makes it better is that my wife also likes the look of it, and even though we've been married nearly 28 years I still find myself trying to impress her whenever I can.

That said, I think you're right; I will be much happier returning the bike to stock running condition!

Last edited:
There is a reason there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry…😆

I just hate the stuff because I’ve diagnosed more than my fair share of pipes with rusted holes caused prematurely by it. However, I am in the Midwest where they use this god-awful liquid snow melt on the roads. It gets in that tape and literally in a year, the pipes are corroded beyond belief.

I wish you the very best with your “new to you” motorcycle! 👌👍🙏

Well, sir, there we disagree... to a point. I did the exhaust wrap last night. It's mostly an aesthetic thing that I like, which many people don't. I have no illusions of it being overly effective (though not completely ineffective on single-walled headers). I just like the look of it. So, the wrap stays ;) It's the same reason I wrap the grips in brown leather, want brown leather panniers, and install bar-end mirrors. It suits me. Besides, it really does look better when looking at the bike as a whole rather than that crappy image I added to my original post. But I do appreciate different points of view on the subject.

What makes it better is that my wife also likes the look of it, and even though we've been married nearly 28 years I still find myself trying to impress her whenever I can.

That said, I think you're right; I will be much happier returning the bike to stock running condition!
Love to see a picture of the whole bike..

Love to see a picture of the whole bike..

Just an update: I got ahold of a pair of exhaust hangers (pillion foot rest supports) a few weeks ago from a local guy here who had a box of random Guzzi stuff for my year bike (among others). So that worked out well. I definitely needed them for the conversion back to stock. As soon as the silencers arrive I'll get them installed (ordered them beginning of January so should see them soon) but see no reason why they shouldn't go on easy as pie. I took the bike out last week and I really do hate the overly loud sound of the cheap-o's that are on it. Maybe I'm finally at that age where I'm starting to prefer the quieter, classic tones of imported European bikes instead of the rip-your-face-off race-only noise. That said, I love how the bike feels. Fits me well and the miles I've put on have been nothing but enjoyable. I bought and installed a Dart classic translucent black fly screen also, and it looks sharp!

In the meantime, I'm going to wait to have everything done and will get a couple nice, full pics.

Back