• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Agip engine oil

grisomd

Just got it firing!
I cannot believe that this subject has not been done to death on this forum, but I have not been able to find much discussion on engine oil via the search engine. My question is, how essential is it to use the Agip 10W-60 engine oil in my new Griso ? I've seen a few posts where people refer to it, and it's being difficult to get, and being expensive etc. But surely there are lub oils commonly available here in the US which are perfectly suitable for use in a basic, pushrod operated V twin engine like this MG engine ? What brands, type and grades of oil are people using ? (10W-60 does not seem like a very common grade of oil here, but maybe it is in Italy, and that's why MG are specifying it ?). Thanks for any input.

Search engine doesn't always find what your looking for. You have to try each section.

10w60 is found a high performance shops. I use Redline 10w60 and get it locally at a BMW car mechanic shop found him through google. Oddly the local Napa parts shop that carries Redline product doesn't carry or is able to order it.

I ordered my last batch of Agip 10w60 on line. I was about the same price as other synth oils including the shipping.

What ever you do don't use a different weight oil on your 8V. You're Griso is still under warranty, right? You'll just give MGNA an excuse to not honor the warranty if the need arises.

grisomd said:
I cannot believe that this subject has not been done to death on this forum, but I have not been able to find much discussion on engine oil via the search engine. My question is, how essential is it to use the Agip 10W-60 engine oil in my new Griso ? I've seen a few posts where people refer to it, and it's being difficult to get, and being expensive etc. But surely there are lub oils commonly available here in the US which are perfectly suitable for use in a basic, pushrod operated V twin engine like this MG engine ? What brands, type and grades of oil are people using ? (10W-60 does not seem like a very common grade of oil here, but maybe it is in Italy, and that's why MG are specifying it ?). Thanks for any input.

Using the Search tab from these tabs: "Board index Search Members FAQ Logout"
found at the top of the forum.
(As opposed to the to the Search field found in the top right of the entire page.)
And searching for either "10w60" or "AGIP"; I find a multitude of pages.

FWIW;
I've tried both AGIP 10w60 + Motul 10w60. And had Used Oil Analysis done on both.
After 3,000 miles the AGIP may have had more additives remaining; but the Motul showed less wear.
Since after 260,000 miles with only Motul 300V 10w40; my GSXR was still running great.
I'm sticking with Motul in my Griso.

BTW;
I considered Redline 10w60 because it's U.S. made and since the Griso has a dry clutch and a separate gearbox.
In theory Energy Conserving oil "should" not harm the Griso.
But although Redline advertizes their 10w60 as SG rated. When I bought some of it; it was not labeled SG.

Some good responses. Thanks. Yeh, the dry clutch, separate from the engine means no contamination of the oil from the clutch plate material, as happens with wet clutches bathed in the engine oil. That must contribute greatly to keeping the oil clean. I have 700 miles on the new bike so far. Checked the oil a few times. Clean enough to see through. It has not used any either.
The shop manual indicates that alternative "top branded" oils can be used, as long as they meet or exceed API SG. But you are probably right, better to stick to the 10W-60 viscosity, in case warranty work required for any reason. Great bike. I am enjoying it.

Here is an e-mail I received from Motul a few months ago when I inquired with them regarding types (300V vs. 7100) and weights of their oils for use in my Moto Guzzi and Ducati. I used to use Agip myself but it's harder to find these days so I switched to the Motul.

"The biggest difference between 300V and 7100 is objective.
300V is formulated for Racing-use.
We have pursued the driving performance only.
Therefore, it does not care about standards and approvals.
If you need pull out performance of engine extremely, 300V is suitable.
On the other hand, 7100 is formulated for High performance in city-use.
It has some standards and approvals.
Please choice according to your riding style.
(If you need more technical information, do not hesitate to ask us.)
Our recommendations for your motorcycles are the following.

Ducati SS900 '93
300V 4T FACTORY LINE 10W-40 or 15W-50
7100 4T 10W-40

Moto Guzzi Sport 1100 '96
300V 4T FACTORY LINE 15W-50
7100 4T 10W-60

Your sincerely,
MOTUL USA, INC."

sorry to hi jack this post, but since we are talking about oil. I went oil shopping the other day and the shop recommand me the Bel-Ray EXS 5w60. its full synethetic and 5w so i think its better than 10w? so my question is would there be any problem if i use that instead of 10w60 ?

Actually, I don't think your 8-valve engine is pushrod operated. Aren't those engines overhead-cam, turned by a chain?

MrMorrisSD said:
Actually, I don't think your 8-valve engine is pushrod operated. Aren't those engines overhead-cam, turned by a chain?

Well, kind of. It is a high cam, not an overhead cam. There are still very short push rods, (cam followers), that drive rocker arms which open two valves each. Each rocker arm has two adjusters for valve lash.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

Many of the newer Euro bikes are speccing 10w60 - KTM, Ducati and others as well as MG. My suspicion is that it will be more, not less, common with time.

As well as the suggestions already made, I have found I can get Elf/Total 10w60 that has all the same certifications as Motul or Agip - I buy it by the case (18 liters) and it comes in around $8.20 - $8.50 a liter. Much less than the retail rate. Since I put 36,000 miles a year on the Norge, even a case doesn't hang around that long :S

WHY said:
sorry to hi jack this post, but since we are talking about oil. I went oil shopping the other day and the shop recommand me the Bel-Ray EXS 5w60. its full synethetic and 5w so i think its better than 10w? so my question is would there be any problem if i use that instead of 10w60 ?

5w isn't better than 10w, it's just thinner when it is cold. Too thin isn't necessarily a good thing.

I'm guessing that some shops "recommend" what they have in stock. My MG dealer doesn't stock 10w-60 so unless I pre-order it I don't get it (they use Mobil 1 V Twin by default, which is 20w-50).

Personally, I assume that the factory asks for 10w-60 because that's what they want to see in the bike. Easiest thing to do is use 10w-60 and not worry about it.

Back