• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1100 hexagonal 14mm steering head allen

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My hexagonal 14mm steering head allen on top of the steering head in the middle of the bars is seized.
I guessing it is anti clock wise from the seat position looking forward to slacken the steering head. Please can anyone confirm this?

Sorry how do you separate the dials/clocks from the black mounting bracket. I want to repaint the rusty black bracket and the dials chrome rear?
I remove the self tapping screw and washer that goes front to back under the dials where the cables enter the dials. All is loose now. Do you undo the screws holding the dials rear plastic chrome cover to disconnect the dash cables? When you disconnect the dash dial from the cable and battery do you lose settings like security/imoboliser?? Getting the dials cables is nice to paint under them.

Thks My 14mm hex allen bolt has never been out. Turning anti clockwise as you look at the dash it turned a few mm then won't budge. I'm using a long bar extenstion and the torque is tipping the bike over with my sons holding the bike. Looking at the maintenance manual page 5.2.1 the pic shows the allen bolt being turned and bolt out at the bottom page pic. I'm guessing the bottom pic is showing the internal 30mm thread of the steering head tube. My guess is mine 14mm hex bolt is cross threaded at the factory? Because the allen bolt cap covers the whole steering tub head you can't get freeing lube into the tube internal thread. Any ideas how to get a siezed allen bolt off?

Thks My 14mm hex allen bolt has never been out. Turning anti clockwise as you look at the dash it turned a few mm then won't budge. I'm using a long bar extenstion and the torque is tipping the bike over with my sons holding the bike. Looking at the maintenance manual page 5.2.1 the pic shows the allen bolt being turned and bolt out at the bottom page pic. I'm guessing the bottom pic is showing the internal 30mm thread of the steering head tube. My guess is mine 14mm hex bolt is cross threaded at the factory? Because the allen bolt cap covers the whole steering tub head you can't get freeing lube into the tube internal thread. Any ideas how to get a siezed allen bolt off?

First, mix a 50/50 concoction of ATF and Acetone. This is so thin that it should wick under the head of the Allen. Do this for a couple days. Then turn back in, then out. Repeat often. You may gain a little each time. If this fails, then you may need to take the bike to a machine shop to get the Allen removed.

Thks for your continued advice john. Yes my bike is old and everything siezed. Looks like the years of water running down the perimeter of the 14mm allen bolt has sieze it in good. Shame I stripped the front of the bike first. Yes squirting wd40 in there will try again over the next few days. Might have to reassemble and get help.

Sorry how do you separate the dials/clocks from the black mounting bracket. I want to repaint the rusty black bracket and the dials chrome rear?
I remove the self tapping screw and washer that goes front to back under the dials where the cables enter the dials. All is loose now. Do you undo the screws holding the dials rear plastic chrome cover to disconnect the dash cables? When you disconnect the dash dial from the cable and battery do you lose settings like security/imoboliser?? Getting the dials cables is nice to paint under them.

You have to take the chrome plastic cover off the back of the gauge assembly first. On my 1200 Sport this means first removing the headlight to get to the bolts.

Once you get that cover off you'll see the plug-ins, I think you have to flip a lever to remove the plugs but I don't really remember. Then you'll be able to see the mounting points for the gauge assembly to the bracket.

Thks for your continued advice john. Yes my bike is old and everything siezed. Looks like the years of water running down the perimeter of the 14mm allen bolt has sieze it in good. Shame I stripped the front of the bike first. Yes squirting wd40 in there will try again over the next few days. Might have to reassemble and get help.
Use the atf and accetone mixture works 100 times better then wd40.

WD 40 is a terrible penetrating oil. see

Penetrating oil

I got 3 of my boys to hold the bike brute force and got out the 14mm hex. The threads are stripped maybe lugi cross threaded it. Next problem is getting the top yoke off to access the steering nuts. The handle bars are detached the head lamp brackets off. Even took off the screw that scecures the barrel ignition lock but the top yoke wont lift up. the manual page 5-23 says just 'Slide out the steering head moving it toward the instruments' not detailed enough.

So I hit the yoke harder for 5 mins and it lifted off.

I remove the fork dust seal and allen bolt slide hammerd the chrome stanchion from the leg but the oil seal is stuck in the leg. Most videos show the seal popping out when you slide the fork apart. My seals are corroded in. Any easy way to get them out?

Back