• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 750 - Advice

The_Happy_Drunk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello,

I've asked this on another forum and was recommended to join Guzzitech and ask here.

I currently own a BMW K100RT and am looking to upgrade. From the research I've done so far and based on my budget and needs, which is a daily commute (40 kilometres round trip) and the occasional tour. I think the Breva 750 seems to be one of the better options.

One of the reviews I've read mentioned regularly experiencing a "false 1st", also it mentioned that the front suspension was a little soft and the rear was the opposite.

Could anyone provide any feedback on these issues and any other things I should look at when inspecting a Breva 750. Also your personal opinion on the 750 would be most welcomed.

As I previously said, I think the Breva 750 will suit me perfectly, but obviously I will need to ride one first to ensure I will fit it :)

Kind regards
Leon

Oh dear. I just began writing the novel....:laugh:

The short story would be; 50000 kms passed without any mentionable issues. I've changed the fork springs and the rear shocks to Wilbers, both progressive. Did that very close to purchasing, and don't remember how the originals felt, just that I'm satisfied with my setup. Also I've adapted seat and pegs to my personal measures and for comfort.
Don't do any commuting, only long or extended voyages. Had a R100RS before the Breva, and don't miss it.

The gearbox at least isn't worse than the Beemers. Haven't found a false 1st yet, but - as with the Beemer - you'll need to learn how to get in 1st, and actually engage it, if that's what you mean.

It's an easy DIY bike concerning service, and things are obviously easy to get to - it's air cooled, and you can see where the cylinders are located...

Moto-Guzzis are build by hand in quite short series, but the basic constructions of motors and frames are old and generally very reliable - haven't seen any smallblocks at the 100000 miles+ club yet, but I'm sure they will be found.

Many here will probably fill in. Go have yourself a test ride!

Thanks,

The review mentioned pretty much what you have described about the first gear but referred to it as a false neutral. It also said that it wasn't as bad once you got used to it. I guess I will find out when I manage to get a test ride :)

Cheers
Leon.

You just engage the clutch very slightly, when kickin' in 1st, and it will slip in like that.
Ol' fashion Beemer-style, like. :laugh:

Well you shouldn’t ask me about the Little Breva because I am unquestionably biased no matter how hard I try to be objective. I think it is one of the most under-rated bikes on the road. I just turned 10.000 kilometers on mine in less than a year and I have nothing but praise for it.

The bike does not suffer from false neutrals; you simply have to know how 1st engages, which is as Anders pointed out above: you simply slip the clutch a minute fraction while going into first. I repeat, there is no false neutral.

I know little about the suspension. I have the standard Marzochi up front and the factory Sachs in back. (Remember that before 2005 the factory did not come with Sachs and the other shocks were apparently much poorer.) A little hard out back but it hasn’t affected the ride for me. The bike is very comfortable, even with the stock seat that I have. I can normally ride 2 to 3 hours in fair comfort, but I am a small guy at 5’ 7”.

The bike is surprisingly nimble and can do the twisties pretty well, even in stock configuration. I would love to try Anders’ with the Wilburs out back. (I keep inviting him to come down from the land of snow and ice, but to no avail.)

My bike has consumed a little oil – still does at 10.000 ks but nothing worrisome. (I did mount the Sumpspacer for that.) It has been perfectly reliable so far. Always starts – summer and winter for me in Spain. I use the bike nearly everyday. (This is not the land of sunshine only so I happen to know the bike is extremely safe with the Pirellis in the wet.)

In short: a nimble, practical, reliable bike that surprises most riders. Oh, I forgot character. Lot’s of Guzzi character as well.

The 1st gear issue isn't really an issue at all and it isn't exclusive to the breva 750. All the small blocks are like it as the gearbox is pretty much the same as it has always been on the V35, V50 and V65.

Both My V65's require the technique to get first when the bike is cold. One more so than the other but once the gearbox is warm then it changes into 1st easier. B)

Jane's 750 now has 55,000km on it and has been faultless. Easy to service, I do it all now. Probably the hardest thing has been replacing the front mudguard after changing the fork oil! I'd suggest changing the oil every 5000km rather than 7500km. I accidently dislodged the drive shaft from the back of the box when greasing the drive-shaft spline, but the whole swing arm assembly was surprisingly simple and easy to remove and replace - less than an hour. Sidestand needs regular greasing or it tightens up and the boot tang will bend if forced.

She's never complained about the suspension, and she sure knows how to drive it out of a corner. Did a Phillip Island track day on and it, too.

g/day.ive done 15000 ks in 6 months 1 up to nth qld. rear oil seal biew out ,was caused by mechanic ?? squashing the breather on the diff i dont know if it was done at the factory. 2 trips to sydney ,40000 klics.i found the seat the most uncomfortible i have ever had on long trips, semi fixed it with a sheepskin cover. other than that its a really good bike. i did a test ride on a v7 classic loved it .i am considering trading up, but change over is more than i can afford. ive been told they are sold out in oz.

Thanks for all of the great replies and advice.

I just got word of a nice tax refund coming my way, and at the exact same time a local dealer just called to say a 2003 Breva 750 had come into the shop, and would I like a test ride.

Of course I jumped at the chance. That was two days ago and I still haven't got the crazy grin of my face. Needless to say, the bike will be coming home to stay as soon as my cheque arrives :)

Compared to the Beemer, the gearbox is a dream and no sign of any false gears and I had no trouble finding first. The sound and feel of the engine is awesome! I found it to feel heaps lighter and nimble the K100RT, did I mention I have a crazy grin on my face?

This bike has a small Gearsack rack on the back and a small shield on the front which is cool. It's obviously feel different with the standard type of indicator switch and without the barn door attached to the front, compared to the Beemer. I felt the suspension, response, and general feel was much better than my current bike :)

I can't wait to get it home!

Cheers
Leon

I use my Breva as a commuter but only when weather is good. I commute 1 hr and find it very comfortable. There was a little numbness in the hands but a set of gelgrips fixed that. Have now 12,000 miles since 2004. I find the rear shocks harsh and am considering a change. My weight is on the light side (~155 lbs) which may have a little to do with it. I have had a few minor problems such as the well documented starter fuse. Blew about three last year, none this year. I believe it is all starter related as recently it would not start (twice this year)but put it gear and rock it back & forth does the trick. There was also an couple of fueling quirks over the years such fast idle (dirty throttle bodies)and not idleing well, all which were easily sorted out by the dealer. Burned a oil early on but after break-in (couple 1,000 miles)it is good. As far as the trans goes first thing on a cold morning sometimes requires a double up shift to go from first to second which goes away quickly. The convenience of a dealer within walking distance is what sold me on a Guzzi. Having access to dealer who knows the bikes is good as it would be for any. It was a good choice for me cause it fit well and was returning to cycling after 15 years.

As we all know, the '03 vintage Brevas are the finest. :dry: :laugh:

I wish you good luck with your new acquisition! You can't be disappointed.

Thanks, I'm sure I will be happy for a long time :)

Thanks for the heads up for the starter fuse and such. Not that I expect many problems, but it's always good to know these things may be pop up

Congratulations, Happy. You will not be disappointed. If that is your bike in the picture it is exactly like my 2005-2006. Clearly, you

yes, that's the actual bike. I'm still awaiting my funds .... shouldn't be long now :)

my Wife is worried that she won't see me for sometime after I pick the bike up ;-D

good point :) Also it's power to weight ratio, means there is a chance that it can be placed on the "Learner Legal" list. Which means I may never see the bike or my wife .... best I don't mention the power to weight ratio to her ;-)

Back