• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bulb blowing fuse and SERVICE red light

FirstGuzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi all, hope you can help, have tried trawling threads but can’t find anything the same…..

I have a Cali 1400, 2013, I am not technical, but can follow instructions 😀

First thing was I had the red warning light and SERVICE appear on the instrument panel. It took me ages to figure it out but it was down to a simple fuse blown. Changed fuse and thought would solve problem - had to pay £60 for someone to plug into the software to reset the warning light as it wouldn’t go off on its own. but I thought - problem solved, however when I got the bike home I tested all the lights and it’s the main headlight bulb that is causing it to blow, every time I switch it on it goes.

I spoke to the repair shop and they said it could be an expensive job to find and fix the problem as if it’s not the bulb itself it could be anywhere. I haven’t ridden the bike much all winter and it was fine last summer, so seems odd that the wiring somewhere might break on its own?

Anyone any ideas in what I could DIY to try and narrow it down before I end up spending a fortune on an hourly rate for someone else to do it?
thanks in advance….

Tim

Check carefully for insulation/wire damage where the wires rub the frame and bend as the handlebars are moved.

Fairly easy. Only 2 bulbs in light. 2 plugs for wires to loom. About 4 screws that hold it on top of forks and go around dash on ea side.
Take it off, unplug wires, look how to take apart. I would disconnect batt 1st.
They do have this in the Service Manual, just looked.
It's available in downloads section.

Keep in mind that your license plate light also is controlled with the headlight switch. Last year, my wiring harness under the rear fender came loose enough to rub the tire. First indicator was a blown fuse for the lights. Fuse replacement fixed it, never happened again. Several months later, a rear turn signal quit working, thought it was a bulb, found the damaged wiring harness was the cause. I'm sure that also caused the fuse to blow.

Many thanks for that - great advice . Sadly for me came a day late 😀 having spent all day taking the headlight unit apart (surely they could make that easier!) and checking all the wiring, I then checked the licence plate wiring - exactly as you said, had come loose and worn against the tyre!

Back