• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

CA 1400 first impressions and high revving repair

countryguz

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I took possession of my 2014 CA 3 weeks ago with 2086 miles on it. It was ownd by one person for 8 years and he put 1994 miles on it and stored it in a climate controlled garage with his other cars and cycles. He sold it last year to someone in VA and he owned it for a year and only put 92 miles on it. I bought it 3 weeks ago and have put 1620 miles on it. When I took it for a test drive at the dealer the engine revved high just during the test drive. It idled erratic and I kept thinking it needed to relearn or something like that. I figured it was stored and batt was removed and needed time to relearn. Anyway, I bought it and during my first 1400 miles I kept thinking about the high revs and kept reading the forum about bad valves, bad clutch switch, bad temp sensor and suggestions/fixes by others. The throttle always felt like my 2003 CAEV1100 and I was wondering why a ride-by-wire would feel stiff and tight and like old technology. I rode my EV1100 for 20 years and I just got used to it. So, I focused on the throttle cables and noticed that one adjuster was actually loose and the other one was tight. Both weather slip boots were pushed back. Ah! I said to myself...I then made the correct adjustments and bam! the catching, tight, stiff feeling went away and it felt like a ride-by-wire throttle should feel. The throttle was always keeping the engine revving and it just never settled into a steady 1250RPM plus-minus. I took it for a test today of 250 miles and it never high revved when I down shifted or was slow maneuvering and I felt safe and confident with the bike. The RPM's are rock steady now where they should be. Perfect ride today!

My first impressions after 1620 miles is that the bike is everything that I hoped for and much more. On my EV1100 I always wanted that 6th gear and wished for cruise control. Those older throttles sure built up your wrist after a few hundred miles. I really like the fuel gauge and the clock (as strange as that may sound). The TC and ABS are nice too. The weight is perfect for those long drives and I do not feel the road. The overall performance of the acceleration, power and handling in the curves is superb. I jump on this bike and it feels a part of me and I think that I am on my muscle bound EV1100 that took a weight training course for strength, endurance and speed! Yeah I know I am 10 years behind, but I tried HD and Indians just to give me a data point and circled back to a Guzzi. But Guzzi no longer makes the bike I wanted, so I went the USED route and feel good about it.

I find it interesting that people own bikes and put such little miles on them. I just purchased a used 2016 Eldorado in June with 1470 miles on it from the original owner. Since I couldn't rely on the owner's service record, I immediately had a complete service done. All fluids changed, valves reset and software updated. I've put a 1000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. I'm amazed at how many low milage 1400 models are out there.

I find it interesting that people own bikes and put such little miles on them. I just purchased a used 2016 Eldorado in June with 1470 miles on it from the original owner. Since I couldn't rely on the owner's service record, I immediately had a complete service done. All fluids changed, valves reset and software updated. I've put a 1000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. I'm amazed at how many low milage 1400 models are out there.
I think sometimes people like the "idea" of riding motorcycles but tend to not like it the first time they get hit in the face with a bug.

Back