• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California Gas Tank Compatibility

GuzRider

Just got it firing!
so I'm the proud owner of a new to me 1997 fuel injected California. Nice bike. The power seems a little down from the big valve motors that I'm used to, but it's a lot more civilized, and seems to pull almost as hard with a lot less drama. One of the issues with this bike, and I knew about it when I bought it, was that the prior owner had problems with the tank leaking. There are a couple of pinhole leaks high up in the channel where the tank straddles the backbone of the frame. The prior owner tried to have it brazed, and then it looks like he reinforced that with a layer of JB weld. I probably would have gone straight to the JB weld myself, and probably with the same results, that, you guessed it, it's leaking again.

After pulling the tank, and looking at the fuel injection system, and bear in mind, I've never so much as touched a fuel injection system before, it looks like in this model, the bungs on either side of the tank feed into a T configuration pipe that feeds the fuel pump. Fuel return is handled by a return line that feeds into the tank at the front of the channel on the underside of the tank. Venting of the tank is accomplished by the shamefully ugly spout just forward of the filler cap. Comparing that to the later model tanks for Jackals and Bassos that I can find on Ebay, it looks like the newer tanks may have an internal crossover pipe to get fuel from both sides of the tank, with a single bung on the right side of the tank feeding the fuel pump, and a fuel level sensor just forward of the bung. Fuel return is handled as on my tank, and there's some sort of internal venting with the filler cap. I'm thinking one of these tanks should work fine on my 97 model, as long as I modify the fuel lines to adapt to the single petcock feeding the system.

Any thoughts on this? Sound engineering? Or should I just jam a chunk of hard cheddar cheese into the leak of the original tank, slap a little duct tape over it and call it a day?

IIRC, a local former owner of a pre-2000 Calfornia installed the tank off a California II or III on it, I presume mostly to benefit of the larger capacity. I have no idea how much adaptation would be necessary, but there shouldn't be much difference in the frames.

RJVB said:
IIRC, a local former owner of a pre-2000 Calfornia installed the tank off a California II or III on it, I presume mostly to benefit of the larger capacity. I have no idea how much adaptation would be necessary, but there shouldn't be much difference in the frames.

You have to use the CA III airbox to use the CA III tank. The reason for the small tank on the 1100s is the change in airbox. The bottom of the tank was lost to make room for the airbox. I don't think CA II will mount to the EV frame, different mounting points.

john zibell said:
RJVB said:

You have to use the CA III airbox to use the CA III tank. The reason for the small tank on the 1100s is the change in airbox. The bottom of the tank was lost to make room for the airbox. I don't think CA II will mount to the EV frame, different mounting points.

I hadn't thought about clearance in that direction, but the air box takes up a huge amount of under tank space. After looking through the parts diagrams at the Teo Lamers site, it looks like the 1999 Basso V11 has the same airbox as the 97 California 1100i, so I think that tank should fit.

Is there anyone who can confirm that? I think I might be able to repair the leak, but there's a 99 tank on Ebay right now, and I've always hated the vent spout on top of the tank, so really, I'd just as soon change the thing out

But the V11 has a completely different frame...

John: the guy in question ran K&N filters or something of the sort. No airbox...

A pre-injection tank won't have the pressure valve at the front. Not impossible to fit one but maybe outside the scope of most DIY mechanics.

GuzRider said:
john zibell said:
RJVB said:

I hadn't thought about clearance in that direction, but the air box takes up a huge amount of under tank space. After looking through the parts diagrams at the Teo Lamers site, it looks like the 1999 Basso V11 has the same airbox as the 97 California 1100i, so I think that tank should fit.

Is there anyone who can confirm that? I think I might be able to repair the leak, but there's a 99 tank on Ebay right now, and I've always hated the vent spout on top of the tank, so really, I'd just as soon change the thing out

It should just take a little different plumbing to the fuel pump. The 99 has one petcock with a large pipe, the 97 as you know has two with small pipes.

Reviving an ancient thread! I'm interested in using a California 2 tank on a 2001 EV. It seems doable (maybe given conical air filters in place of the stock air box), but the lack of a pressure valve on the older tank is mentioned. Would a vented gas cap solve this or is this to accommodate the fuel return line? Are there any options?

Last edited:
Reviving an ancient thread! I'm interested in using a California 2 tank on a 2001 EV. It seems doable (maybe given conical air filters in place of the stock air box), but the lack of a pressure valve on the older tank is mentioned. Would a vented gas cap solve this or is this to accommodate the fuel return line? Are there any options?
Your answer is above. It doesn't line up.

I guess I read the above differently - it looked to me like a California 2 tank would work except for the airbox, which could be removed. An extra V9 tank I have lying around looks kind of cool on it...
That probably won't work either. Completely different configuration and fuel pump arrangement.

Mark @ Moto Guzzi Classics has built a number of "specials" using earlier tanks on EV era Guzzis. The fuel pressure relief valve that is mounted inside the forward part of the tank "tunnel" on your EV would be attached where the right-hand petcock would be on the Cal II tank. You'll need the petcock from the EV tank on the left side of the Cal II tank.

I'm building a 1200 Norge powered Ambassador that is set up the same way.

Mark @ Moto Guzzi Classics has built a number of "specials" using earlier tanks on EV era Guzzis. The fuel pressure relief valve that is mounted inside the forward part of the tank "tunnel" on your EV would be attached where the right-hand petcock would be on the Cal II tank. You'll need the petcock from the EV tank on the left side of the Cal II tank.

I'm building a 1200 Norge powered Ambassador that is set up the same way.
That's very helpful - thank you!

Back