• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can we revisit this??? Engine swaps

Samtech79

Just got it firing!
With V85tt engines starting to come up at reasonable prices and older, less loved and hammered V7 and V7ii…
Let’s say that I got the plumbing, electrical and tuning under control. I can fab engine mounts or the whole lower cradle if needed.
But what plays nice mechanically?
Looks to me that pretty much all of the six speed boxes are the same. Same bolt pattern, same output, same width at the swing arm.
The V1 frame, the engine is tilted up… and only fits the five speed.
The V7ii frame has some space between the tank and the heads, will take any six speed?
How about the clutch? The the V7iii got the big clutch? Same as the V7 850?

So… a V85tt engine should bolt to a V7ii gearbox? With the stock clutch for the TT? And the V7ii frame???

The V1 had a single throttle body, the TT is a 52mm unit and it looks like the manifold sits a little tiny bit further back… but I’m not seeing any insurmountable hurdles except that I don’t know anything about guzzi bolt pattern.

I want a skinny 130 swingarm, non abs and somewhat lifted mini adventure bike…
Tell me why it won’t just bolt together or if it will.
Yeah, I’m thinking a V9 tank if it absolutely won’t fit better the heads…. But let’s talk transmissions and clutches first.

Good luck with this, have not looked at a V85TT but I believe you
will be doing a lot of modifying to the bike as a whole...

I was hoping the mods would chime in as they have already made comments elsewhere that it’s a bolt up affair.
The plumbing and FI… that takes someone with experience and knowledge but that guy… is me. My screen name is the same everywhere, I’ve built a bunch of custom bikes. This seems like low hanging fruit to me.
If you know something, speak up but save the pessimism.

well, you can tell it’s been awhile since I’ve used an Internet forum… I forgot that photobucket broke the internet a few years ago.
Here’s a video.

I’ve been here 13 years and cannot recall anybody doing the swap you are looking to do. Sorry.

Also, the only moderator is John Zibell.

GTM (Todd Eagan) is the site founder and owner of all of this.

“I doubt you’ll find anyone that has done this (yet), as the biggest challenge would be sorting the fueling, and you simply won’t get the same power because of the smaller throttle body. The other is that the cam sensor is massively different, as may be a few other sensors. It won’t be a simple swap. I’d be willing to try and tackle it if you’re willing to invest the time and $. If so, ping me via email; Info @GuzziTech.com”

This Todd maybe?

Correct.

However, do not send him emails just trying to garner information. He doesn't do that.

This answer was about a custom build and he charges $$$$ for that. Like I said, nobody here has done this to my knowledge. If Todd's time and expertise are tapped I know he expects to be paid. Fair warning.

Thanks Scott. I’m the main moderator, John helps often.
I successfully transplanted a V7 Mk III engine (which is now at 820cc) into a Mk II frame. A ton of time and parts swaps, and hours on the dyno as the ECU data wasn’t a direct swap. I can’t and won’t get into details on it.
A V85TT engine transplant might be doable, but it would be a tremendously huge undertaking. Biggest hurdle is throttle body and ECU/wiring harness.
Anything is possible with enough time and money.

That’s the part I’m not worried about at all.
I’m an engineer and I have built a number FI systems over the years.
It’s the clutch splines and transmissions I’m stumped on. I don’t trust the copy paste fitch from MG.
Does the V7iii have the 170mm disc? Is the spine the same as the 850 and V85TT?
I know it changed from the five to the six speed but it’s not clear about the 7iii to 850.
They look identical but I’m not sure, hence the ask. Input shaft length the same?

Ok, so I think I found answers to most of my questions on my own.
The remaining question is if the mkiii six speed fits in the Mkii frame and swingarm?
I think it’s the same externally but takes the later clutch. Which would be good.
And the Mkiii gearbox is the “goodie” unit, right?
Here’s what I think.
The clutches are the same V7iii, 850 and TT. The Mkii is its own thing and pretty much every small block up to the V7 has the same disc although there’s some variations of the flywheel and pressure plate… and I mean all of them from V35 up.

Is there a reason the factory doesn't do this? I know the V7 is price sensitive but I'm pretty sure the V7 Racer was always quite a bit more expensive than the "regular" V7s so surely a new Racer would be a perfect base for the 80hp V85TT motor

They kind of do. The V7 850 engine is very similar but not exactly the same.
850 has one piece rods and a pressed crank as far as I can tell.
The TT has a one piece crank and rods with caps.
I’ll be the first to admit that turning a V7 into a fireball is sorta defeating the point… but it’ll be fun to mess with the airheads.

They kind of do. The V7 850 engine is very similar but not exactly the same.
850 has one piece rods and a pressed crank as far as I can tell.
The TT has a one piece crank and rods with caps.
I’ll be the first to admit that turning a V7 into a fireball is sorta defeating the point… but it’ll be fun to mess with the airheads.
TT had fancy valves as well apparently

Back