• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Changes From 2012 To 2016?

ducremus

Just got it firing!
I'm a California Custom owner, and have been really impressed with the bike. My dealer, knowing I'm from a sport bike background, urged me to try the Griso, and now I want one, badly! I'm not real thrilled with the color choices, except for the 2012 Green, which I really like. There is one for sale locally, but before I make an offer, I'm wondering if there have been any (many) changes in the past four years. Thanks!

Yes. At the beginning of the runs they were having problems with the camshaft and the valve train wearing down too quickly. I had a used 2012 Griso and the valve clearances would not stay tight enough after only ~15,000mi. Luckily, my dealer made things right, but what Todd has told me is that you want to shoot for a 2014 model year or newer because they fixed all those issues at that point.

Or, if you are mechanically inclined, the update kit is about $1100 to upgrade the lifters to rollers. Use that info to get the price down then fix it. Canuck1969 has posted how under rollerization on the Stelvio section of this site. I would do that if possible as I love the green Griso. If you have to pay a dealer to do it you can figure $800-$1000 in labor and MAYBE Guzzi will warranty the parts but only if badly worn and Piaggio is in a good mood. I did my own and they said no dealer, no pay.

I have a 2007 Griso with the 2V motor, doesn't have the flat tappet wearing out issue.

Solution was to convert to roller lifters in the cambox, and there are several kits depending on your bike. The 2008-2012 bikes have the problem and will need to be addressed. In most cases, MG will cover the kit, but has to be done through the dealer, and is worth it. Many people had it done so check to see if it was converted yet. General consensus is 2013 and newer are all roller lifter bikes from the factory, though supposedly some 2013's are 2012 motors and have flat tappets. I'm a solid wrench, but wouldn't attempt the rollerization. This is a GOOD dealer job. Also, this effects all the 8V CARC bikes (Stelvio, Norge, Griso).

I'm not a fan of the later Striped themes on the tank, and prefer the 2007 paint scheme. IMO, Paint on a Griso would be minimal and cheap to make what you want.

Also, before you worry about flat tappets failing, find out if the bike has flat tappets or roller tappets. The only way to know for sure is to look. I believe the transition happened around 2012, but it just started happening without much announcement. Many people did not know they got roller tappets at first.
Plus, the bike in question may have already been converted.
Again, you need to determine for sure which tappets the bike in question has first. Some have bikes with flat tappets that are fine, some have declared that every flat tappet motor will fail. I don't know. I don't have an 8 valve motor, but I do have a number of motors with flat tappets. Unless Guzzi F'd up the design of the motor flat tappets work. But bad design, like too high a spring rate, could mean that the flat tappets were designed to fail. I don't know.
Once you know what tappets it has you can make your own choices. Other than the tappets there is little difference other than color.

New owner of a 2009 Griso... It has had the tapper recall work. Is the conversion from flat tapped to roller tapped what was done in the recall?

Thanks, Brian

The original recall work did not resolve the issue. They merely replaced the failing parts with new parts that fail. It depends on when the recall was done. I would pull a valve cover and see if you have flat tappets or roller tappets. That is the only way to know for sure and it is easy to do on a Guzzi.

Thanks for the heads up on the tappet issue. I was able to confirm with Jim from Rose Farms (who performed the work) that the roller tappet was used and I am good to go. Very glad to hear that. There is something special about the air/oil cooled engines. Big fan. Thanks, Brian

Back