• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Custom Seat for a Stelvio

canuck1969

GT Reference
GT Contributor
Has anyone installed a custom seat on a Stelvio. I have a 2012 NTX and need something for more time in the saddle. The stock is pretty good combined with a sheepskin but I want something to give me more that 2 hours in the saddle. That is about my limit and have to stop. Have tried an airhawk and that did not work.

Looking for pictures of a Russell Daylong or Rick Mayer.

Thanks

Russell gives you big wings on the seat which interfere with your foot reaching the ground when you stop. Mayer might do the same. If you are over 6 foot 5 it probably wouldn't be an issue. I'd suggest contacting Sargent in Jacksonville FL. You will probably need to provide a seat pan for any of these folks considering the production rate of the Stelvio.

daytripper said:
I put a Russell day long on mine and it's the best money ever spent!!! Can go all day no issues. :D

Phil

Phil,

Any chance you could post some pics. Would love to see it. Any issues in operating the bike with the new seat (ie, reaching pegs, shifter. etc.....)

No problem with pegs or shifter reach it just makes getting my feet down a little different. I'm use to it now and it's not a problem.

Thanks Phil...looks great. Like the fact that there is a bit of a back rest from the passenger seat. Looks like a new winter project...unless I can get an extra pan but I doubt it.

What options did you get...leather...vinyl, internal spring...etc. Debating between the 1/2 moon stitch and rectangular stitch. Also, did it raise the seat height at all.

Canuck,
I did the RDL thing and love it. My last ride, almost 1K was one where the seat comfort was never an issue. I have a 32" inseam and now am on the balls of my feet at a stop. Backing the bike is a problem unless on level ground. Still, this is a great mile muncher and the seat is a critical part so I am a happy camper.

Peter Y.

Canuck

Vinyl cover. I didn't get any extras. I picked this stitching for the least amount of stitching for better water resistance.

Phil

Yeps, Russel day long on mine as well, FANTASTIK. :D It does increase reach a bit. I am 6'-2" and works fine for me. My bum is happy all day :D

I bought on '09 Stelvio with a Russel on it. Extremely comfortable, but I'm only 6'... Always on my tip-toes, thinking about getting the wings trimmed back a little bit...

Has anyone installed a custom seat on a Stelvio. I have a 2012 NTX and need something for more time in the saddle. The stock is pretty good combined with a sheepskin but I want something to give me more that 2 hours in the saddle. That is about my limit and have to stop. Have tried an airhawk and that did not work.

Thanks
I can ride all day on my Airhawk cushion
Alan NZ

Russell is, by a wide margin, the finest and most comfortable seat available. I've been through the learning curve. You can try cheaper seats like Sargent or try makeshift fixes like pads and air cushions but if you want the final word in seats, get a Russell Day-Long.

The Russell is designed with a forward pocket into which you slip in order to get maximum foot placement on the riding surface in off-road situations or in parking lots. I have used mine off-road on several bikes and never had trouble getting my feet to the ground once I slide forward as intended by design. I recommend vinyl.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a Corbin. An all day rider for me. I can go tank to tank without any discomfort at all, and do it all again the next day. Still allows me to move back and forth a couple of inches if needed. Guess everyone's rear is a little different.

This is a Bill Mayer on a Stelvio, I'm getting my 2012 Stelvio seat done at the BMW rally in St.Paul next week

StellaSeatBMS

Thanks
I had my seat rebuilt in Albany Oregon at Mr Ed's Moto they are online ,very good service

This is my seat from Bill Mayer Seats (BMS). Awesome!
My experience was that I went from the stocker (a 120 mile seat) to this BIll Mayer Saddle (an all day seat). We had the pillion area recovered to match driver area -no mod to the foam. 8 hour days are easy now.

stellaseatbms-jpg.6772

The front is thin enough to allow me to touch down easily.

DSCN3390_zps882d16a8.jpg

Back