• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Grisso top end rattles

Grissomike

Just got it firing!
I have a 2008 8V grisso that intermittent rattle from the rh cylinder head anyone else had this problem , any explanations /solutions

The Quattro Valvole engine is a noisy engine.

My 2009 G8VSE made all kind of strange noise from new. I am adopting the “ride it until it broke” approach now.

Once in a while, I will ask a non motorcycle savvy person (i.e. my wife) to listen to the engine noise, if she says okay then it is fine.

Hi,

Phang is right, The engine has a unique way to expres himself...
Fast, furious and a bit loud. :mrgreen:
You could check the valve clearances, if they are okay.
I did that 3 times now. :whistle:
There was no change in the valve clearance, so the sensitive parts are okay, phew. :blink:

Don't panic, check first.

Ad B

yes it is generally noisy top end but mine gets a terrible rattle occasionally

There is a topic about engine noise here:- :)

Noisy Griso

How does yours compare to this?

[youtube]R5dMWezjqgw[/youtube]

Are you sure its not "pinging"? I don't want to send you down the wrong road but my 07 2V Norge had bad pinging that I could describe as a "bad rattle". Look for similarities in the situation when it happens outside temp, grade of a hill, what gear and rpm. Mine would do it at the top of 5th gear and the bottom of 6th at about 4500 rpm. So like I said I don't want to send you down the wrong road. But if it sounds, familiar I may have some of the answers

(Sigh.) Is it eligible for the cam recall? Has it been done?

As a 2008 its cams aren't shimmrd for end float. They will rattle in a cyclic manner, its probably an oddity as the tappets rotate, mine makes a noise like a cement mixer full of bricks.

Your enquiry will also be a bit more credible if you can actually spell the machine's name correctly.

Pete

Yes its had the cams and followers replaced and is rattling again within 3000kms

Who by? Was the oil pump inspected. Was the sump dropped.

Also were you the owner when the tappets failed and when and where did you purchase the machine. Has t got any sort of service history and how many Kms has it done?

Pete

Yes ive owned it from new (19000 km) its always been serviced on time at my local MG dealer in Cairns. It should still have 1-2 months warranty but the importer doesnt want to know about it

Interesting? I have never had any problems with JSG WRT warranty on any model other than a single V7 Racer. Are you sure its the importer?

Firstly you need to find out whether the new tappet have actually failed. If you look in the thread ' 8V VAlve Adjust' that is stickied in the tech section you can check it yourself. As I said, the early 8V's ARE extraordinarily noisy!!!!

If you want to discuss this I'm more than happy to take the call even though I'm a long way away, (I'm near Canberra.) but I have as much, if not more experience with the 8V than anybody else in the country I'd guess. There are a host of little things to ask that will really take too long by written word.

I'm off to an Italian vehicle show this morning but if you give me a call some time around 11.00 AM I can probably chat or this evening between six and seven, (Remember we hve daylight saving down here!). I AM though keen to assist if I can.

Pete 0417 462 440

My number and Biz details are also on the Moto Guzzi Australia website.

Hi Pete went a saw my mechanic he found valve lash had opened up again so removed cam and tappets and found that nitride coating had failed again awaiting reply from JSG

Grissomike said:
Hi Pete went a saw my mechanic he found valve lash had opened up again so removed cam and tappets and found that nitride coating had failed again awaiting reply from JSG

Any way of finding out if the original tappets were replaced with the upgraded ones or the original ones ? Insist on a complete engine flush and oil pump inspection and better yet a replacement.

Grissomike said:

Hi Mike. I was actually talking about your bike with Daniel the tech lad at JSG yesterday. He was discussing it with me and I pointed out that in most cases were the tappets have failed if the oil pump is not inspected replacing the cams and tappets alone is like playing Russian Roulette with five of the chambers loaded.

The oil pump is the only part of the engine that gets oil that has only been strained through gauze, (On the lubrication side anyway, the cooling side is un-filtered as it is on a separate circuit to the lubrication side and it doesn't go through the filter.) when the tappets break up fragments of hardened steel that are too small to pass through a filter but are large enough to slip through the gauze WILL go through the pump and in nine cases out of ten they WILL damage the pump body. Once the pump body is scored it obviously can't pump properly so oil delivery, both volume and pressure, will be compromised and any replacement cams, tappets or anything else are inevitably going to suffer.

Daniel agreed and is sticking in another claim to the factory for parts and extra time to inspect the pump, drop the sump and clean it properly etc.

If you want, and no disrespect to your shop, you can get them to drop the motor out and send it down to me I will gladly undertake a full strip and inspect gratis, for free, as I've been dying to get my hands on a motor that has failed so I can pull it to bits and try and ascertain exactly why some, and only some, engines are having these problems.

I have probably between 15 and 25 'Regular' 8V customers, their regularity depending of course on mileage, and none of them have ever had a problem! not a thing! Their bikes are all stone axe reliable and believe me I do nothing 'Special' and have no magic wand to wave!!!! My own early 8V Griso should by all the powers of reason have gone tits up! It was right in the middle of the soft tappet range and I did 23,000kms before I did the tappet and cam replacement. It remains obstinately bulletproof! Sure it makes a noise like two cheesegraters fornicating in an iron tank but it never goes wrong!!!!!

Also remember because of its cooling function oil choice is VERY important I believe, not so much the viscosity rating but it MUST be a full ester synthetic, (I use Penrite 10 10ths 'Racing' 10/70. which also has a higher level of Zinc and Phosphorous than most 'Modern' oils.) but in all honesty almost any full ester synth will do the trick. If it has been run on a standard mineral oil? All bets are off.

Pete

Pete's offer is ridiculous, he will do the hard part for a song, just because he has a weird gene that makes him always want to learn more. If you can possibly send it to Pete, it would be the best move could make. Hi is the dogs danglies

Sorry to hear of your problem as I have the exact same, 09 griso 8v bought Feb 24 2012, 15000 miles, dealer told me cam followers done. It's at the dealers now. I'm very tempted to ask for a refund and buy something else. I want to stay with Guzzi, had V50 and 1100 Griso previously and really love 'em. Seems other models have been victims of same thing. Would appreciate any advice. I'm in the UK
Cheers
Shaun

To echo and elaborate further on what Pete said about oil, if the 8 valve motors are truly hard on oil it is not so much a viscosity issue as a quality of oil issue. Viscosity is a measure of how temperature effects the viscosity of oil, not whether or not the oil breaks down and at what temperature. Cheaper oils can break down at high temps even if they are of sufficient viscosity. And thinner oils may have no issue handling the heat.
Yes, use an oil of the right weight rating but also use an oil made for motorcycles with flat tappet cams.

I have a variety of ideas about what might be happening to cause the problem but until I can actually get inside a dead engine I am unwilling to make any real diagnosis.

One thing I am certain of is the fact that if you use a poor or inferior oil damage will be almost inevitable. The areas around the exhaust valve seats are the hottest in the engine and it is the fact they are oil cooled that enables the use of such thin stemmed valves and such a small seating area. While the overall heat of the oil as measured in the sump seems perfectly reasonable how hot the oil around the exhaust seats gets will be a matter of pure conjecture as it will depend on a variety of factors, flow, the temperature of the exhaust gasses, Leaner mix=hotter exhaust.) andthe quantity and mass of the exhaust volume among other things. One thing you can be sure of is it will be getting bloody hot and if an inferior oil is used it is just asking for problems.

Pete

Back