• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hard starting when cold.

kwn306

High Miler
I am having issues with my Stelvio being hard to start in the morning when cold. Here lately the OAT in VA has been 60 deg +/- at 5 AM.

When I say hard to start, I mean it does not start and continue to run the first time the starter button is depressed. It might take a time or to more.

This issue started about 1000 miles ago, before that the bike started fine, the bike has 4,000 miles on it.

By starting fine I mean you hit the starter button, and go!

Then it got to the point you would hit the starter button and it would start but would act like it wanted to die but would run at 600 - 800 rpm's for 10 - 15 seconds and then run fine.

Now it just starts, runs for a second or two and then dies, it does restart with no problems but runs very ruff and stumbles for a while, once it gets past that point it runs fine.

Anyone have any thought's / suggestions ? Acts like it's running too lean or a vacuum leak.

I've been having the same issue kwn but not as bad as you by the sound of it, I'm taking mine in on Monday for other service and going to see what the shop comes up with on this issue? I'll let you know what I find out.
FBC

I am interested in what you find out. My dealer is 150 miles away and pretty clueless when it comes to this bike. I think I know more than he does.

Is this stepper motor adjustable :unsure: or is it a throw away part :S ?

My Norge tends to do the same when cold (under something like 5ºC: idle doesn't hold, and the ECU shuts off the enging when revs fall under 800tpm. Just giving a dab of gaz for the time it takes to get the idle revs a bit over 1k, then all's fine.
Almost as if it's the ECU's start routine (replacing the choke...) that needs to warm up!
Have mentioned this before, never had any luck getting a solution/explanation...

Hey RJ Have given my Stelvio a stab of fuel when it's done the same thing the only problem seems to be it's doing currently and the ambient temp. is about 25 c+ !?
FBC

That's weird indeed.

One might be able to deduce from the O2 sensor output if the engine is running too lean or too rich (too much or too little oxygen) when it's doing its little scene. In both cases the stepper motor could be involved, but in the case of too lean running the fix might simply be to install the valve on one of the stepper motor hoses, as described by I forget whom?

Get the stepper motor checked. It controls cold starting, no matter what the ambient temperature is.
If you put a valve in the air bleed, then this will make cold starting difficult, as others have said.

RJVB wrote:
That's weird indeed.

One might be able to deduce from the O2 sensor output if the engine is running too lean or too rich (too much or too little oxygen) when it's doing its little scene.

The O2 sensor is still stone cold and non-functional at this point.

kwn306 wrote:
I am having issues with my Stelvio being hard to start in the morning when cold. Here lately the OAT in VA has been 60 deg +/- at 5 AM.

When I say hard to start, I mean it does not start and continue to run the first time the starter button is depressed. It might take a time or to more.

This issue started about 1000 miles ago, before that the bike started fine, the bike has 4,000 miles on it.

By starting fine I mean you hit the starter button, and go!

Then it got to the point you would hit the starter button and it would start but would act like it wanted to die but would run at 600 - 800 rpm's for 10 - 15 seconds and then run fine.

Now it just starts, runs for a second or two and then dies, it does restart with no problems but runs very ruff and stumbles for a while, once it gets past that point it runs fine.

Anyone have any thought's / suggestions ? Acts like it's running too lean or a vacuum leak.

I had the same problem this winter. I did get a new stepper motor under garantee and now it's better. But it isn't winter anymore, so I'm not sure if it's fixed. I can tell you within a few months!

Kwn et all: I picked up my bike from dealer yesterday ( had it in to drop the oil/ filter 1000 km after new cams and followers put in... unecessary you say, maybe , but I'm anal retentive in such ways. New metal spinning at high speeds together and all.) Also got them to check the TPS which felt like it had wandered again (it had), Valve clearances checked ( adjusted, had changed) and throttle bodies synced (done). The hard start issue from cold... of course it fired up 1st time every time for them. Since I couldn't really ride anywhere this week I left it with them for 4 days , so they had ample time to check it out from stone cold. Later this afternoon I'm going to ride into work with it and it will have sat for about 24 hrs. so we will see. I will let you guys know how this all plays out one way or another.
FBC

Kwn: Bike is still doing it when the engine is stone cold, it's almost like it dies and then you can here the electrics reset themselves. Then on restart it starts fine. Just going to wait and see how it plays out. Someone I spoke to who has ridden quite a few of the models of 'modern' Guzzis told me he thought they all did that. I guess we'll see.
FBC

Wayne Orwig wrote:
Hopefully they won't break much. :eek:hmy:

Ain't that the truth. :cheer: :lol: :silly: :blink: :huh: :unsure: ;)

Frost Bite........you have the same luck I have, it is broken for you but it isn't broken for the dealer.

I ride all year, if I am having this problem when it's 60 deg F at 5:00 AM in July I can only imagin what it will be like when it's 20 degs out in January.

I complained when the dealer did my 1st service of this problem, he checked the stepper motor with the Axone and said it wasn't the problem.

But like you said once you refire the bike it will idle all day, mine on the other hand does not want to take any throttle, it burps and farts all over the place. I can't figure out if it is starving for fuel or is getting too much.

Hey Kwn : Irode my bike into work last night and guess what... it started first time when I left home and in the morning after sitting all night at work , again in the morning. So I don't know maybe with mine it's a non issue. It definitely doesn't burp and fart. Just a thought ,have you tried a new set of plugs? you never know. I've seen all kinds of things that defy logic with helicopters, might be worth a shot.
FBC

Kwn: Since the last time I replied to you, guess what.... my bike has started first time every time, Guess I'm not going to be much help. How have you been making out?
FBC

Back