• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hello from Hastings Mn

Just given my father's '16 V7 2 Stone. He bought it at 82 and finally gave up at 88. He had a nice, long run. I'm making a 4k round trip to pick it up, and I'll never sell it.
Love it.. that's a hell of a run. Good on him. Keepsake indeed!
Hope you'll add his and your info to our Registry below. See you in that section. Enjoy the site and the bike!

Congratulations and Welcome!

I hear you! I wish I had a motorcycle of my Dad’s.

The closest I did have was in 2007, I bought a new HD Street Glide that I rode from Ohio to Texas, to visit my Dad as cancer was finally killing him. He had beaten it 3x before but this time it was not going to happen.

My Dad could barely walk as bone cancer had literally broken his leg from the cancer. He was in constant agonizing pain but he insisted I help him go outside to go out to the garage so he could see my motorcycle. His wife Betty was none too happy about him doing this.

I remember him looking at that big black Harley Davidson, and the look in his eye. He had owned many HD’s and other marques, and had ridden over 500,000 miles in his lifetime.

He asked if he could sit on it and I told him of course.

He could not swing his leg over it but rather sat sidesaddle on the seat as he reached up to hold the grips. I saw him close his eyes and for a brief moment, the constant pain and anguish in his face, melted away and I swear that he was in another place and time in his mind. I was awestruck by this.

When he opened his eyes he smiled and stood up off of the motorcycle. Almost immediately, all of the agony returned to his face. I was able to snap a photo of him as he came out of the garage. He wasn’t happy about it but I’m glad I got it. I will never forget that day.

Because of my parent’s brutal divorce and my going with my mother, my Dad and I were estranged almost all of my life.

At the end, our mutual love of motorcycles connected us as father and son. For that, I am truly grateful.

My Dad was a powerhouse of a man and also a man of few words, who could literally do absolutely anything but sadly, bone and lymphatic cancer reduced him to nothing. It stripped him entirely of his dignity one ounce at a time. It was gut wrenching for me to see him go through that.

I sold that bike 5 years later and I was very sad and reflected upon that it was the last motorcycle he had ever sat on. I struggled with that. Had it actually been one of his that he had ridden, I would not have been able to part with it.

You have a treasure worth more than any money. Good on you!

IMG 3878

IMG 3879

Last edited:
Congratulations and Welcome!

I hear you! I wish I had a motorcycle of my Dad’s.

The closest I did have was in 2007, I bought a new HD Street Glide that I rode from Ohio to Texas, to visit my Dad as cancer was finally killing him. He had beaten it 3x before but this time it was not going to happen.

My Dad could barely walk as bone cancer had literally broken his leg from the cancer. He was in constant agonizing pain but he insisted I help him go outside to go out to the garage so he could see my motorcycle. His wife Betty was none too happy about him doing this.

I remember him looking at that big black Harley Davidson, and the look in his eye. He had owned many HD’s and other marques, and had ridden over 500,000 miles in his lifetime.

He asked if he could sit on it and I told him of course.

He could not swing his leg over it but rather sat sidesaddle on the seat as he reached up to hold the grips. I saw him close his eyes and for a brief moment, the constant pain and anguish in his face, melted away and I swear that he was in another place and time in his mind. I was awestruck by this.

When he opened his eyes he smiled and stood up off of the motorcycle. Almost immediately, all of the agony returned to his face. I was able to snap a photo of him as he came out of the garage. He wasn’t happy about it but I’m glad I got it. I will never forget that day.

Because of my parent’s brutal divorce and my going with my mother, my Dad and I were estranged almost all of my life.

At the end, our mutual love of motorcycles connected us as father and son. For that, I am truly grateful.

My Dad was a powerhouse of a man and also a man of few words, who could literally do absolutely anything but sadly, bone and lymphatic cancer reduced him to nothing. It stripped him entirely of his dignity one ounce at a time. It was gut wrenching for me to see him go through that.

I sold that bike 5 years later and I was very sad and reflected upon that it was the last motorcycle he had ever sat on. I struggled with that. Had it actually been one of his that he had ridden, I would not have been able to part with it.

You have a treasure worth more than any money. Good on you!

View attachment 34438

View attachment 34439

That, Scott, was a powerful and poetic paean to your father. What a great story. :clap:

That sort of vivid telling only comes with experiencing "real life" in ways that are not always pleasant. :cry:

Father-son relationships are sometimes -- and mostly in fiction -- idyllic. Mine was certainly not; my role in that pains me to this day. As you relate here, yours was also troubled.

Yet your post made that partially painful reverie -- prompted by WarChild's intro here -- into a reminiscence that likely helped you, even if imperceptibly, with closure.

Bill

P.S. Just reread that, thus this apology for the "over-alliteration," that looks more forced than it was as I wrote it! :wasntme:

Thank you Bill. I appreciate that immensely.

As you are acutely aware of, the chasm between my Dad and I was the size of the Grand Canyon.

I wish it were not so but truly, that one moment in time, with that black HD motorcycle, was the one thing and only moment I can honestly say, that my Dad and I, actually connected together with.

It was the most poignant and bittersweet moment, if only for an instant.

Motorcycles are remarkable things indeed.

Scott
Thank you for sharing. Bittersweet, and beautiful at the same time. In the end, all we have are the memories.
I am somewhat lucky in that I met my father when I was 28. So we do not have all the baggage that a normal father and son might gather. When my first born came along in '85 my wife convinced me to make a phone call. I did and learned that he was on a motorcycle trip to Alaska with some buddies. I hung up the phone and told my wife about his MC trip and said, "There's a chromosome for it!", as I had always ridden dirt bikes up to that point.
My step father raised me and whooee, at about 14 years of age we were done with each other, so I've still got that baggage
Thank you for a warm, unique welcome. I leave Friday with my trusty cattle dog to traverse half the country. I'd rather do it on a bike!
Jeff

Back