• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hot Day - Oil Light !

sbaker

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hello

Had a few erands to run yesterday, Saturday, around Dallas, 95 degrees in the sun. Bike was warm, I could feel it. However after about 1 hour of riding both stop and go and highway. Was in stop and go traffic and the RED warning lamp came on and the OIL cal illuminated on the display. I stopped the bike, check the oil level it was fine. Re-started my trip, and the light was gone.

Stopped again and the Red light + oil icon came on at idle. At speed (RPM's above 3K) Lamp and Icon disappear.. This continued until I got home.... At idle lamp + Icon appear, at highter RPM no lamp or Icon... Check oil when returned home. Still at same level ( almost top mark, ~ 2mm shy)

Thoughs:

1. Time for an oil change (about 3K since last one)
2. Clogged oil filter
3. Clogged oil sump pickup
4. Failing Oil Pump
5. Failing Oil pressure sensor

ANY MORE ideas ???????

..... It will visit my dealer this week for a health check!

Thanks
Sam

Bella did the same the other day, fiddled and checked various things.
As soon as I moved the oil pressure switch "wire", all was good.

I had the same on my old 1100 Griso when I got stuck in gridlock on a very hot day in S.W. France. I knew oil level was OK so found somewhere to park up and waited for it to cool down. I guess the oil had just got so thin the sensor reacted as if there was no oil.

Please make sure you are using the correct specification oil! Mr Roper specifies a Penrite ten/tenths over this way. This is 10W/70 to cater for both ends of the temperature spectrum over here in Australia. This exceeds the AGIP oil specified by the Factory.

I have ridden on some pretty warm days (over 38C/100F) without any issues on this oil. I guess the trick is, that on a hot day, ride faster to cool the oil...

Happened to me on my B11 as well couldn't figure it out but found that my wire attached to the oil pressure sending unit was loose I pulled it off and re-crimped it and re-installed it...tight squeeze but I haven't had the problem since. I think it's something to do with the hot temps and a loose fitting contact sends a signal to the computer to throw out a warning...maybe when the spade cnnector expands due to heat it doesn't make full contact..

nikwax said:
I've started seeing the same thing on my Norge. Only happens when it's really hot and idling.

turns out to be my oil pressure switch, the body cracked. This is switch failure #3, hoping that switch #4 will be from another source.

BTW, I run 10W-60 oil. Alwys have to get it special ordered as the locals don't stock it.

Back