• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to check new bike for key code?

familyguy4

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
1st post - I searched and only found info on a California 1400 Guzzi. I'm in the process of buying a 2021 V85TT from a distant non-Guzzi dealer, and want to make sure it won't cause problems with the keys and any code that was or was not entered. After reading through the "how to recover the 5 digit security code" thread on the California 1400, I'm sort of freaking out about what I'm getting into.
The dealer said it had two keys - one with plastic, one just metal (as I recall - I hadn't been scared by the above-mentioned thread when I spoke with him).
Q1: The picture the dealer sent of the dash with the key turned on says "Insert your personal code" in the bottom right side of the dash. Does that mean that no code (other than the default 00000) was ever entered?
Q2: My guess (from the California 1400 thread and the V85 manual I found online) is that if each of the two keys supplied by the dealer works to start the bike, that means they are registered to the bike anti-theft system and I won't have any worries; is that correct?

Thanks for all your help!

With the answer to Q1 being no code has been entered if the bike will start with that key if it has the chip, not the all metal key. In that case you are good to go. The fact that one key is just metal means it has no chip. You should have two keys with a chip. You can get a second key with a chip and if you have entered your user code, then you can program the second key. This is all contingent with the key with the chip asks for the user code.

If he has 2 original keys then you can programme the code yourself. They cannot be clones of each other
However search for a thread by scottmastrocinque as he's written the definitive words on this
Thanks. Would you know how I would tell if the keys are not clones?

John is correct regarding Q1. If the bike shows that message and starts without entering a code using the key with plastic head (has chip inside), then no personal code has been entered. If the message “insert personal code” does not display when an original key is inserted and turned on, then a code has been set.

If a code has been set, then you need two different chipped keys already programmed to the bike in order to reset the code. Although a cloned key has a chip and will start the bike, it will not act as a second programmed key because it is the same as the original it was cloned from.

I had a couple extra keys made for my 2021 (one original and one plain metal from hardware store). The plain metal one will only start the bike if I enter my personal code. The chipped key was easily added to the bike’s immobilizer system by following the process of using the original key and personal code.

Note that this site is not part of Piaggio or Guzzi, it’s a privately funded website to help owners, and not a moronic social media platform. That said…

IF the dealer is being honest and the bike starts with the plastic housed key, then no user code has been entered, and you are good to go. Are they implying that the all metal key also starts the bike?

Note that this site is not part of Piaggio or Guzzi, it’s a privately funded website to help owners, and not a moronic social media platform. That said…

IF the dealer is being honest and the bike starts with the plastic housed key, then no user code has been entered, and you are good to go. Are they implying that the all metal key also starts the bike?
I don't think they are implying that. When I spoke with them, I had a list of questions to ask, and one of those was is there two keys, but I had no idea of the security system, so I listened for what I was expecting to hear. I'll contact them again and ask about the keys. But in either case, it sounds like I'm in good shape.
Thanks for the help; I'm sure i'll be reading and learning lots more about Moto Guzzi's!

Since you are so far from the non-Moto Guzzi dealer, I have simple instructions to help you verify the key situation:
1. Ask the dealer to insert the plain metal key, turn on the ignition, take a photo of the dash, and then try starting the bike.
2. Ask the dealer to insert the plastic head key, turn on the ignition, take a photo of the dash, and then try starting the bike.
3. Repeat Step 2 for any additional plastic head keys.

Have the dealer email the photos and detail their starting test results.

If (as it appears from your previous posts) a personal code has not been programmed, then the bike will not start using the plain metal key. The bike will display “insert personal code” and start using each plastic head (chipped) key programmed to the bike. If the bike does not show the “insert personal code” message when using a programmed key, then there is an existing personal code.

As noted earlier, two separate programmed keys are needed to clear an existing personal code.

Since you are so far from the non-Moto Guzzi dealer, I have simple instructions to help you verify the key situation:
1. Ask the dealer to insert the plain metal key, turn on the ignition, take a photo of the dash, and then try starting the bike.
2. Ask the dealer to insert the plastic head key, turn on the ignition, take a photo of the dash, and then try starting the bike.
3. Repeat Step 2 for any additional plastic head keys.

Have the dealer email the photos and detail their starting test results.

If (as it appears from your previous posts) a personal code has not been programmed, then the bike will not start using the plain metal key. The bike will display “insert personal code” and start using each plastic head (chipped) key programmed to the bike. If the bike does not show the “insert personal code” message when using a programmed key, then there is an existing personal code.

As noted earlier, two separate programmed keys are needed to clear an existing personal code.
Excellent. I'll follow your advise when I talk to the dealer tomorrow.

I would request a phone video for each step to document it for you both.
Well, spoke with the dealer today; turns out there is only one chip-key for the motorcycle; apparently the other key was for panniers.
So, I'll be following the advice elsewhere in this forum, to get 3 additional keys made. But based on the input from this thread I will be able to set my own code after I get the bike.
Now to buy an airline ticket!

Make sure the dash is displaying the “enter personal code” when turned on with the single key (indicating that no code is programmed). Also, set a personal code (and write it down) before someone else stores a code that you don’t know. You need at least two different keys programmed (paired) with the dash to be able to recover from an unknown code issue.

Make sure the dash is displaying the “enter personal code” when turned on with the single key (indicating that no code is programmed).
And that it starts. Again, see my comments above.

OEM "chipped" keys come in pairs, so one additional pair should do it unless you are REALLY prone to losing them. ;)

Back