RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. Thanks to your support, we will continue to bring to market our 100% Made-in-the-USA GT products here based on your input. Also note, we are subject to the delays of Italian made products this time of year, so thanks in advance for your patience on those orders... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum or better yet, try a search. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.
  2. Ciao Guest - Our Small Business discount... Now through December 15th, enjoy Free Priority Shipping (on most items) for any orders over $99 in our online Store linked above, use gtholidayfreeship99 code at checkout. We wish you the best for the Holiday Season.

Initial Break-in Ride - Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Bonaventure, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bonaventure

Bonaventure Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

So the new Stelvio should arrive either late this coming week or week after. I'm meeting the transport driver at a truck stop and plan to take the long way home so to speak and do an hour or hour and a half break-in ride with minimal stopping at intersections and etc, try to keep it rolling for temp management with route offering speed variance with curves. Pretty flat around here so grades are unlikely. Any additional tips or advice?

2. Trout

Trout High Miler

Congrats on the new machine!

Pretty much ride it like you are normally going to ride it.
    Wouldn't want to be hitting the rev limiter right off but you do want to vary the RPM's & speed.

Guzzi's have a fairly long break in period the first 5,000 miles are kind of like teaching the bike how to behave.
    I have noticed that around 10,000 miles the engine loosens up a bit & runs smoother.
    My 2011 Black Eagle seemed to hit another happy spot at the 20,000 mile mark.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

The key is to get the rings to seat. As Trout said, vary speed, but do load the engine with some rapid acceleration to build combustion pressures. If the rings aren't seated early, they may take forever to seat (if at all) when using synthetic oil. Keep this variation up until at least the first service.

4. Bonaventure

I understand that it's also good idea to balance the break-in with some engine braking during downshifts, with the same caveat not to downshift such that rpm's would flare above 75% of red line, and to close the throttle smoothly.

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

6. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Just enjoy it and ride.

7. Bonaventure

How do you run it while it's coming up to normal operating temp and with no oil temp gauge when do you know the motor is hot enough for the throttle runs to begin?

8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Normally. No modern internal combustion engine should be warmed up. Fire, wait 5 seconds and ride off like normal... well, that is if you have the correct fueling (my GT map) and intake leak plugged (evap cann).

9. Bonaventure

The charcoal canister creates a leak on these bikes?

I'm going to have to do the initial break-in ride from nearby a truck stop since that's where it's being delivered by the 18 wheeler transport. After filling it with 92 (highest that location offers) plan on doing the technique in your link above and stay out of the city and off the freeways, want to put at least 50 miles on the clock during this process.

10. decotriumph

decotriumph Tuned and Synch'ed

Back roads are way more fun on a Stelvio (or any Guzzi) anyway. Pick the curvy blue lines on the road map if you can. I have 8500 miles on mine and fewer than 25 of those are interstate miles.

Trout likes this.