• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looking for owners reviews of V7C/Cafe

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
As the title says, I want some owners impressions on the V7 Classic and/or Cafe Classic.

My main points of interest are the bike's handling in urban terrain, its stability for fast riding on A and B roads, how good the brakes are (my old V50's brakes were awesome) and how easy it is to live with as far as reliability goes.

Much as I love my 1100s, I miss having a bike that could embarrass Japanese bikes with twice the power and more.

Cheers!

I got the V7C last year and like it a lot, but it might not be the right ride for you. It has an old school engine with moderate performance. The engine's early and flat torque curve make it easy and enjoyable to ride, and has the power to pass any but the hottest sports car, but it isn't the right bike to "embarrass the Japanese." The suspension is adequate but you might wish an upgrade for "fast riding on A and B roads." The brakes are separate systems front and rear, quality construction, and adequate for the bike. Duel front discs would be nice, and I wish the factory offered this as an option.

Reliability is on par with anything else out there. Where it shines is that maintenace and repair are easy, much more so than competing machines. This is due to the old style engine and the general design of Guzzis making it easy to work on. The parts are all good quality, but the odd bike can have the usual Italian lapses of construction.

In general it is a lighter and simpler machine than the competition, with all the attributes that "less is more" brings.

Joe

Cheers for that :)

My 1979 V50 had original forks/rear shocks (in 1998), MT15 tyres (the rear squared off) and 45hp as new, and it still took the mickey out of Japanese bikes ;)

Its only the lack of linked brakes now that is disturbing me, as that to me was one of the best features of the V50.

2nd hand prices are a little high for my consideration right now, but I may have a test ride to see for later on.

Thanks again!

I got about 30 miles on a Café here in the hills a few weekends ago. It was completely stock, and well under real break-in miles. Stock, it leaves much to be desired in the motor dept IMO, though I just added a dyno chart in the Small Block Forum that shows with mufflers and Power Commander, power is up to 45 from 38. Brakes seemed OK, and the suspension was the worst part of the bike. It's a very nimble little bike, and it certainly has a good look:

Danilo G blogs on his, click HERE for more info.

Attachments

• DaniloG-V7Csnow.jpg
    DaniloG-V7Csnow.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 673
  • V7C-RxNorge.jpg
    V7C-RxNorge.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 673
Once again, Todd buddy, you know everything :D Ill check the blog out!

I just remembered the other thing I want to know... since if/when prices drop and I do get a V7C, it will replace my daily commuter (a 100cc step-thru). Would the V7 be up to starting in all weathers for 2-3 mile journeys?

(and yes, I know, for that distance, I should bloody well talk, but this city is hilly as all hell!)

GuzziHero said:
Once again, Todd buddy, you know everything :D Ill check the blog out!

I just remembered the other thing I want to know... since if/when prices drop and I do get a V7C, it will replace my daily commuter (a 100cc step-thru). Would the V7 be up to starting in all weathers for 2-3 mile journeys?

(and yes, I know, for that distance, I should bloody well talk, but this city is hilly as all hell!)

Yes, but change oil often to keep the mayonnaise from forming it just won't get hot enough otherwise and will still be the worst thing to subject any Internal combustion engine to.

I know I am not Todd but sure he will concur.

GuzziHero said:
Oh, it wouldnt be just for commuting. It'd be a crime not to take it up the Pennines a few times a month :D

Or take the long way home !!! :mrgreen:

Hi, I have a classic and it's a great bike. I reckon the engines okay for around town and a-road work but without a fairing it's no motorway bike. I'm getting a set of mistrals fitted and maybe a PC, so I'll be happy with the power for now. Realistically it's a bike for doing 70/80 on fast roads, 90 max.

The front break is fine although not fantastic but I reckon it's okay for the weight of the bike and the speeds you'll realitically travel at.

I think the suspension is poor. If you just want to pootle around then fine, but if you start to wind it on it just shouts budget. I don't think the spring rates are wrong, I think's it's all down to poor damping. I'm going to get some decent rear shocks, probably lowered by 1' and also get the fork damping sorted out.

All in all it's a great bike, light and nimble, but I'd say the worst feature is the suspension, as soon as you try and use the power that you have (and theres not that much) you soon find the limitations. I previously had an ER6, granted it has a single rear shock, but it was so much better (I did change the front springs and oil).

Chrisk

Again, useful info :)

I think I've made my mind up - I will probably get another V50 or a V65, even if it becomes a track special (whenever I can be bothered to do one). I loved throwing the V50 into turns, knowing it'd see me through, and every time I look at the pic of my old one, I miss it. I just don't think the increased weight and non-linked brakes of the V7C would satisfy me.

Thanks all :)

Cheers :) I read up on the V65 and it seems to have had slight engine issues, just like some V50/IIs had dropping valve seats.

I'll look for a V50/III if I can find one without the hideous (IMHO) nose fairing :)

Edit: Actually, I really don't like the tank shape either. I like the coffin tank of the MkI/II.

I think the valve issues were with the 4 valve Lario, that appears to be the 2 valve 750 smallblock, should be bulletproof.

GuzziHero said:
Cheers :) I read up on the V65 and it seems to have had slight engine issues, just like some V50/IIs had dropping valve seats.

I'll look for a V50/III if I can find one without the hideous (IMHO) nose fairing :)

Edit: Actually, I really don't like the tank shape either. I like the coffin tank of the MkI/II.

You're probably thinking of the Monza, which I like. :D The V50 III looks like this..
008-1.jpg

Once again, I think I know what I'm on about, only to be proven completely wrong HAHA.

I thought it was V50/III Monza...didnt realise the Monza was a totally different model :D

But yes, I much prefer the coffin tank smallblocks, tbh.

Back