• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

MG Stelvio Aux Lights Maybe Fried Wiring! Wired To Small Bulbs By Headlight

bmacneil2008

Tuned and Synch'ed
Think really screwed up. I wired only 10amp LED aux lights to the small bulbs wires that are next to the headlight. No issues at all for 2 days of riding but noticed a few times when went to start the bike it would turn over of a split second and then nothing. I would try again and start right up. Now nothing, no display but the red security light does blink. Is dark now so will check the fuses in the morning. The tape around the wires leading to the small bulbs though are sticky like they got hot....sheesh.....

Also, and maybe the issue as well, the engine light came on during this trip for the 1st service. I have put another 100 miles on after the wrench light, so wondering if this killed the start of the bike?

Thoughts, ideas as I am stuck at a hotel 200 miles from home :( Thanks.

15929540537_6a8e532a2e_z.jpg

15492956704_8e298a4120_z%20%281%29.jpg

How old is the battery? Unless the LEDs have melted the wiring enough to cause some type of short in the system, or you've left the key in the parking position, I'm betting battery or charging issue (as a result of the LED wiring/fuses).
The service wrench will not cause any such issue. Let us know what you find. Put the bike on the voltage screen from before you fire it, and see what it says pre and post start/while running.

You are totally on the mark. Long story short, found the negative terminal bolt was barely loose but was not allowing a full charge battery charge. As my Dad always said, start with the simplest cause 1st then work into the 'wish it wasn't so' problems. All good and back to travelling the back roads of the Georgia coast and rivers, best shrimp off the boats, back roads, campgrounds and a few roadside motels :)

Shrimp%20Port%20Jekyll%20Island.jpg

Think really screwed up. I wired only 10amp LED aux lights to the small bulbs wires that are next to the headlight

Are these LED aux lights really 10 amps? Each? I would think you would have to increase the fuse size, or at least check the total load on the fuse. I would also be concerned that perhaps the existing wires now have to carry an extra 20 amps.

Are these LED aux lights really 10 amps? Each? I would think you would have to increase the fuse size, or at least check the total load on the fuse. I would also be concerned that perhaps the existing wires now have to carry an extra 20 amps.

Actually, 10watt, not amps. I misspoke.

LED in aux lights and additional separate led light in the side covers

View attachment 7721

View attachment 7724

I debated back and forth whether to place the lights in the faring opening or the bottom of the fork tubes. I decided lower as was concerned if placed in the faring area, drivers might not see my turn signals.

I debated back and forth whether to place the lights in the faring opening or the bottom of the fork tubes. I decided lower as was concerned if placed in the faring area, drivers might not see my turn signals.

I had the same concern. I originally had mine under the front fairing and they can indeed drown out the euro signals. I have since moved them to the forks. Would be cool if you wired each led with a relay to turn off when the signals turn on like the newer cars. Would not take much other than a couple of 5 pin relay and some wires.

If they are that bright, maybe they need a dimmer.

I have my 27 watt LEDs on a dimmer, with them at about 20%. On high beam they go to 100%. I turn them off in traffic at night, but they again go to 100% on high beam. Really wakes up the drunk drivers. :D

With them at 20% and on the engine guards it shouldn't be an issue with seeing the turn signals. But then, nobody in Georgia knows what a turn signal is anyway. :(

What has been the general experience of LED lights mounted on the engine bars (where the Hellas are mounted on the NTX)? Do LEDs survive the vibrations?
Alan NZ

What has been the general experience of LED lights mounted on the engine bars (where the Hellas are mounted on the NTX)? Do LEDs survive the vibrations?
Alan NZ

Nope. On the new NTX, turned my Denali's to dust. Not recommended.

On the older Stelvios (pre MY11), the bar arrangement is different and they are ok there

Alan NZ

I have a set of cheap 27 watt Ebay LED lights. They have been mounted to the engine guards of my 2009 for almost two years now. Zero issues. Awesome light. Cheap.

20130130 133219

Last edited:
Alan NZ
revzilla.com/motorcycle/piaa-1100-led-light-kit

These have held up fine for me for almost 30k miles mounted in place of the original aux lamps on my 13 NTX.

I have a pair of cheap Ebay LED lights mounted in place of the aux lamps using the original brackets + spacers.
Before I mounted them I opened up the cases and glued all the big capacitors on the electronics board down to either the board or adjacent components using a thick superglue.
The main cause of electronics failure from vibration is the solder joints of these big components breaking due to the vibration (solder is a very poor structural material :)).
6K miles, mostly on tarmac, through UK and Europe and no problems so far.

I have a pair of cheap Ebay LED lights mounted in place of the aux lamps using the original brackets + spacers.
Before I mounted them I opened up the cases and glued all the big capacitors on the electronics board down to either the board or adjacent components using a thick superglue.
The main cause of electronics failure from vibration is the solder joints of these big components breaking due to the vibration (solder is a very poor structural material :)).
6K miles, mostly on tarmac, through UK and Europe and no problems so far.
Thanks Tim. Something to do when I get some LED lights.
Alan NZ

I have a set of cheap 27 watt Ebay LED lights. They have been mounted to the engine guards of my 2009 for almost two years now. Zero issues. Awesome light. Cheap.
LEDs

Nice!
Look like the same units I have waiting to go onto my Stelvio.
Much more of a 'Flood' than a 'Spot'?
Thought they may look a bit too big on the Bike when I unpacked them, but given the size of the Stelvio, I think they look about right!

Nice!
Look like the same units I have waiting to go onto my Stelvio.
Much more of a 'Flood' than a 'Spot'?
Thought they may look a bit too big on the Bike when I unpacked them, but given the size of the Stelvio, I think they look about right!

John, you are right. They claim to be spots, but they are 30 degrees, they claim. They are more flood then spot. But that is OK for mountain rides to help light around corners. So far they are still working well, for as cheap as they were.

I have a set of 15 degree LED spots on the EV. Those I wish had more spread. So I think something closer to 20 to 25 degree is likely what would work best for me.

Edit, correct name....

Last edited:
Why not have both, or one of each?
I think someone on here did the latter, one Flood and one Spot.

It's John by the way, not Jim, but I'll usually answer to anything . . . ;)

Why not have both, or one of each?
I think someone on here did the latter, one Flood and one Spot.

It's John by the way, not Jim, but I'll usually answer to anything . . . ;)

Oops, not sure why I typed the wrong name.....

Actually, I have thought about adding a set of spots, and leaving both floods in place. The ones I got are cheap enough. Or maybe a light bar under the headlights.

First I need to get the roller tappets installed and get it running again.

Back