• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Moto Guzzi (Trax) panniers

WILLIAMS

Just got it firing!
Have just taken possession of my nice new Stelvio fitted with the metal Moto Guzzi (Trax) 37L panniers. We had previously test ridden a machine but without pannier fitments.Got the wife on the back for a first try and run out. We found that she had real difficulty getting off due to the size of the panniers and the fact that they are positioned quite high- about 2" or so above the seat height. I tried the same myself and found I had a similiar problem as the panniers also seem to be positioned quite a way forward and your foot gets jammed between the pannier and the rider. I am just wondering whether anyone else has experienced a similiar problem when carrying a pillion with these panniers. We are seasoned tourers and off to France in May and it looks at the moment as I may have to get the pannier frames dropped and pulled a couple of inches back which doesn't look too bad a job and shouldn't affect handling too much. Any comments from those carrying pillions regularly with similiar panniers would be appreciated.

Same here.

If you look in the 'out and about' thread, you will see a couple of photos with my wife on the back. Simply because it is way too difficult for her to get on and off, so she stay there while I get the photos.

Maybe a rope step ladder......
:laugh:

We just struggle a bit. Once she is on, everything fits well.

Well welcome Williams - Congrats on your new ride.

Of course I can't help yet with your panniers, because of a little problem of Guzzi not wanting Aussies to play with their toys :(

Post often and lotsa pics please - especially ride report type ones.

Hi William,

We also use the trax panniers and a topbox aswell. We don't struggle too much though we're both 6 foot plus so that might help. She also does a flying karate kick once her left foot is on its peg to get to the otherside and she's nice and snug once shes in. As for the feet I've not had any problems and she hasn't complained so hopefully she's comfy enough.

I think the panniers are at that height so that if you need to carry something really big it could be rested on both panniers and the pillion seat on an even level but I could well be wrong. I'd be interested to see how you'd move them and whether it makes a difference. Post some pics if you do alter the position.

I think if I decide I need sidecases I'll talk to Agostini about getting a set of the Norge-type cases that they have in Europe. For whatever reason, my dealer says Piaggio isn't offering them to the US. Any Euro riders have any comment on fitting etc on the Stelvio?

The norge panniers are the same, but you need another bracket to fit them to the Stelvio. So you need those brackets too. Why not order the Stelvio panniers yourself in Europe? Then you get them in the right colour too!

Actually, I believe only the lids (and the right sidecase) are the same. The left case has a different cutout for the exhaust, since the Stelvio has a high muffler and the Norge has a low one. I actually have a set of Norge cases I could swap over if I got the bracket, but I think it's a no-go.

Regarding the High mount of the TRAX. Take a look at my bike in the registry (jonesar). I used pelican bags and the GIVI mounting brackets. The bags are quite strong and very waterproof plus they look great with my black Stelvio. I mounted the bags to the GIVI rack using screws up top and the slotted mounts on the bottom. That allowed me to mount them at a level desired. My wife is able to get on and off the bike without too much difficulty. I don't miss the quick release feature for the bags as I found even on my Norge that the only reason I took them off was for cleaning and that does not prove to be too difficult with the Stelvio and the Pelican bags. You can obtain the bags from Caribou cases -- the hardware they provide is useful in re-inforcing the mounts.

> I actually have a set of Norge cases I could swap over if I got the bracket, but I think it's a no-go.

Unless you find a way to drop the exhaust to a normal level. Don't see why that wouldn't be possible, or out of the question unless you really want to take the bike off the (dirt) roads... Would be one of the 1st things I'd be looking into!

John in PA wrote:
Actually, I believe only the lids (and the right sidecase) are the same. The left case has a different cutout for the exhaust, since the Stelvio has a high muffler and the Norge has a low one. I actually have a set of Norge cases I could swap over if I got the bracket, but I think it's a no-go.

Yes, you're right of course. I rode a while with a norge pannier, but indeed only the right one. It was for my first holiday on the Stelvio. My panniers weren't there then and I could borrow the bracket from another Stelvio and a Norge pannier from my dealer.

Yes, guys, Ive been looking at the saddlebag situation too. The Trax boxes are waaaaaayyyy too wide for me. In fact, I bet you get wind buffeting out of them at high speeds. This morning I played with my Jesse Safari bags off my GS (only 34 inches wide) . Fitting them to the Guzzi would require a lot of surgery. The plastic handle and Guzzi luggage mounts would all have to go. I dunno.

I believe, Id be disposed to going with the plastic bags someone mentioned earlier. They are contoured to the bike better and should be about 36 inch wide overall. Blackat was around and we also played with his Norge boxes. On the Stelvio, the exhaust side would be different from the Norge boxes, as John mentioned, because of the muffler cutaway. If they get scraped up, Id just spray the outer lid with truck bed liner instead of trying to maintain that glossy color finish.

I wish Al Jesse could get a Stelvio and work with it a while. He supposedly was contacted but nobody, including Piaggio, wanted to spare him a bike for a few weeks. In my mind, that would have been a better way for the factory to go instead of perching those Trax bags out so far they look almost comical (no offense to anyone who likes them). I wouldnt want the TT because of them.

Could he really do something better, or is it about having a different option?

The Norge bags are great, esp. if you manage to get a pair that actually closes completely without warping. They'll stand up to a beating too — my new RHS pannier took the impact of the car that got me from behind last monday. It was torn off the bike (fixations on the pannier are gone, but the impact site only shows traces of the car's paint, nothing even cracked. The car had a good dent, though.

I'm not sure how the warping susceptibility would be affected by heat from the muffler. Some on here have used heat reflective stuff for that ... but haven't we seen pics of melted LHS panniers?

No problems with wind.
I prefer the looks of them over the Jesse. But there is a disappointing amount of lost space on the right hand side.

I installed a partial cure.

One of the best things about the Jesse bags is that they are designed to fit close. The 10-inch Safari bags on my 1200GS measure only 34 inches across, as installed.

Back