• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

My latest Stelvio add-ons

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I've been at work lately finishing out the Stelvio. Just for ideas, here are a few things I've done recently:

Finally fabricated my GPS mount to locate the unit in a sturdy, relatively dry and relatively high position. Added a radar detector mount tight below the GPS. Added a tire pressure monitor on the radar mount. A challenge is to position these items in such a way so as not to block visibilty of the dash warning and indicator lights.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

Wired-up and added a handlebar-mounted (red knob) control for my heated gear stub-outs below the seat.

IMG_1793.jpg

Replaced the stock fog lamps with some 3.5 inch halogen running lamps. Amazing increase in illumination for the ditch areas.

IMG_1789.jpg

Fabricated-up an enlarged foot print and J-B Welded it to the sidestand (you dont need to bolt it). Be sure to allow a couple of days to cure.

IMG_1791.jpg

I also installed the Euro turn signals and the non-lighted mirrors. It's a much better set-up.

The only things I have left to install are my rope, shovel and axe.

Nice work Leafman60, I've alway's thought the top screen mounting screw would be a great place to fasten a GPS to and you've done a great job. Is the red 'button' on the top yoke a fire control for a couple sidewinder missiles ???

Lolol, sometimes on the road I wish I had a couple of missiles I could shoot !

That knob is my controller for my heated clothing stub-out.

The upper windshield mount works great for a GPS but there are some complications. It adds an issue if you want to quickly lower or raise the windshield with the plastic knobs.

At one time, I considered drilling a hole in the shield itself and positioning the GPS up even higher directly onto the shield. I experimented a bit and concluded that this would cause too much bouncing up and down for the GPS on really rough roads. On the highway, it would work okay.

Tell me more about 'European turn signals'....where did you find them? Do they look stock? Pricey? Want to convert my 09 this winter, as I've broken one of the stock mirrors and replaced with better-looking pieces.....Are the signals a stock MG part item?

gdp said:
Tell me more about 'European turn signals'....where did you find them? Do they look stock? Pricey? Want to convert my 09 this winter, as I've broken one of the stock mirrors and replaced with better-looking pieces.....Are the signals a stock MG part item?

Ordered my Euro turn signals and sport mirrors from MPH Cycles, for around $100 all in, as I recall. They are all genuine Guzzi parts. They look much better than stock, and the sport mirrors without the signal mechanism in them hardly vibrate at all. It is a great modification.

http://www.mphcycles.com/

Bruce

Attachments

• Stelvio front view resized.jpg
    Stelvio front view resized.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,512
Leafman,

That GPS/radar detector mount looks great. I'm envious. It keeps the handlebars uncluttered. It seems stable when the windscreen adjuster knobs are tight but does it want to swing down when you loosen them to move the screen up or down? You mention a slight problem with the mounting but aren't specific. I see version 2.0 with an "L" shaped tab that rests against the back side of the windscreen riser to prevent that from happening.

A few GPS questions: What Nuvi version is your GPS unit? Does it work well in bright sunlight? Can you upload maps created by others to that unit? Does the cradle come with the unit or do you have to order it separately?

Yes, a lot of questions but I'd like to copy what you're doing there - if it's still working for you.

Thanks and happy riding.

Mike R.

You are very perceptive, Mike.

1. This set-up results in a little more trouble than the stock set-up if you want to adjust your windshield. I do not do that. I almost always want the shield in the upper position. For long sustained speed touring I use a Laminar Lip (from 1200GS) to add even more coverage.

With my set-up the GPS mount is fixed between the allen side of the adjuster bolt and the vertical windshield strut. It is clamped in. Simply loosening the plastic knob will not allow the shield to slide. In order to do that, Id also have to loosen the allen side of the bolt onto which the plastic knob is threaded, steady the GPS assembly and then let the shield down.

I would also have to loosen the L piece that I think you see which is the bracket holding the radar detector and the electronic tire pressure gauge module.

If you want to preserve easy up and down adjustability of your windshield, this set-up will complicate things.

2. Problems. Making something like this is as much an adventure of art as it is science. I use only a sabre saw and a vise. After doing it for years, you get a feel for how the metal will work when you bend it. You learn how to allow a margin on a bend so the desired finished dimensions will work out. Getting everything cut, bent and drilled so that the final assembly comes together just right is a challenge. Once you start trying to do this, you will see.

With the Stelvio, you must be careful or your gadgets will obscure your view of the warning lights etc on the dash. I have everything high and tight so that I can still view all my stock dash indicators.

3. I have used several Nuvi models and currently have one of the latest but I rarely use it. I prefer the 750 series. The 750 (and others in its family) has an alphnumeric screen that is much easier to use. The buttons are bigger and this helps tremendously when you are "typing" in an address. The lastest Nuvi is a very very poor design from a user-friendly standpoint. The buttons are way too small and very difficult to hit even with bare fingers, not to mention wearing gloves.

The 750 also has its zoom buttons on opposite sides of the screen where they do not interfere with each other. + on one side - on the other. The new version has tham virtually next to each other on the right side. Very difficult to hit one without hitting the other, very poor design. The 750 also zooms in discreet stages whereas the latest Nuvi is variable and hard to modulate.

Most all Nuvi units have a USB port that will also power the unit but I have had bad luck using the USB as a power connection. The latest units have only the USB port whereas the 750 also has a cradle and its own power cable that comes with the GPS. Use the cradle with the cradle cable. You get a plastic RAM holder that is very secure and it has a cut-away to allow for the cradle and cable.

I have no trouble viewing the screen in sunlight. Positioning the GPS at the correct angle helps with this.

I have done routing with the 750 but I dont think Ive actually downloaded a route from the computer to it. My understanding is that such is possible.

Note that the Nuvi is not waterproof like the Zumo. If your mounting position of the unit puts it in harms way for rain, be prepared to snap it off and stash it in a bag until your conditions are dry.

leafman60 said:
You are very perceptive, Mike.

1. This set-up results in a little more trouble than the stock set-up if you want to adjust your windshield. I do not do that. I almost always want the shield in the upper position. For long sustained speed touring I use a Laminar Lip (from 1200GS) to add even more coverage.

With my set-up the GPS mount is fixed between the allen side of the adjuster bolt and the vertical windshield strut. It is clamped in. Simply loosening the plastic knob will not allow the shield to slide. In order to do that, Id also have to loosen the allen side of the bolt onto which the plastic knob is threaded, steady the GPS assembly and then let the shield down.

Mike1230: I have not taken apart my windscreen and bracket at this point but I see what you're talking about.

I would also have to loosen the L piece that I think you see which is the bracket holding the radar detector and the electronic tire pressure gauge module.

If you want to preserve easy up and down adjustability of your windshield, this set-up will complicate things.

2. Problems. Making something like this is as much an adventure of art as it is science. I use only a sabre saw and a vise. After doing it for years, you get a feel for how the metal will work when you bend it. You learn how to allow a margin on a bend so the desired finished dimensions will work out. Getting everything cut, bent and drilled so that the final assembly comes together just right is a challenge. Once you start trying to do this, you will see.

Mike1230: I have a lot of experience with cutting, drilling and bending of sheet metal. This would be a small challenge but nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

With the Stelvio, you must be careful or your gadgets will obscure your view of the warning lights etc on the dash. I have everything high and tight so that I can still view all my stock dash indicators.

3. I have used several Nuvi models and currently have one of the latest but I rarely use it. I prefer the 750 series. The 750 (and others in its family) has an alphnumeric screen that is much easier to use. The buttons are bigger and this helps tremendously when you are "typing" in an address. The lastest Nuvi is a very very poor design from a user-friendly standpoint. The buttons are way too small and very difficult to hit even with bare fingers, not to mention wearing gloves.

The 750 also has its zoom buttons on opposite sides of the screen where they do not interfere with each other. + on one side - on the other. The new version has tham virtually next to each other on the right side. Very difficult to hit one without hitting the other, very poor design. The 750 also zooms in discreet stages whereas the latest Nuvi is variable and hard to modulate.

Most all Nuvi units have a USB port that will also power the unit but I have had bad luck using the USB as a power connection. The latest units have only the USB port whereas the 750 also has a cradle and its own power cable that comes with the GPS. Use the cradle with the cradle cable. You get a plastic RAM holder that is very secure and it has a cut-away to allow for the cradle and cable.

I have no trouble viewing the screen in sunlight. Positioning the GPS at the correct angle helps with this.

I have done routing with the 750 but I dont think Ive actually downloaded a route from the computer to it. My understanding is that such is possible.

Note that the Nuvi is not waterproof like the Zumo. If your mounting position of the unit puts it in harms way for rain, be prepared to snap it off and stash it in a bag until your conditions are dry.

Mike1230: Thanks for the info on the Nuvi unit. I will keep all that in mind when looking for one a set up.

I use a Ram mount on my bars for my Garmin 60 CSX. Worked on my last bike and works nicely on the Stelvio. Also have a Ram mount for my video camera on the bars. Plenty of room and no blocking of instruments.

Yes, RAM makes all kind of stuff. I use only the plastic snap-in holder with the diamond 2-bolt standard attachment flange that I drill for.

I was told my 550 is waterproof and so far it has held true to form. Taking the cheaper Nuvi of course comes with the stipulation that it may fuck up easier. So far so good. And the loss would be just a couple of hun as opposed to six or seven. And I do set up my routes on the Pooter with Basecamp and transfer them to the Nuvi. Easypeasy. ;)

Toadride said:
I was told my 550 is waterproof and so far it has held true to form. Taking the cheaper Nuvi of course comes with the stipulation that it may fuck up easier. So far so good. And the loss would be just a couple of hun as opposed to six or seven. And I do set up my routes on the Pooter with Basecamp and transfer them to the Nuvi. Easypeasy. ;)

Do you transfer the entire route or transfer the way points only and then create the route on the Nuvi. When I create a route on Mapsource I transfer the entire route to my 60 CSX and is saved as a route. I didn't think the 550 had this capability. If it does now definitely on my list.

Toadride said:
I was told my 550 is waterproof and so far it has held true to form.

Yes, the 500 and 550 are the only units in the Nuvi line that are waterproof. The only fly in the ointment is the USB power port, which may allow water to ingress. It is recommended that some dielectric grease be placed around the port to ensure that it is properly sealed off from the elements. My 550 has been ridden through a fair amount of rain and it has not failed.

Bruce

canuck1969 said:
Toadride said:

Do you transfer the entire route or transfer the way points only and then create the route on the Nuvi. When I create a route on Mapsource I transfer the entire route to my 60 CSX and is saved as a route. I didn't think the 550 had this capability. If it does now definitely on my list.

Yep. Entire route

canuck1969 said:
I use a Ram mount on my bars for my Garmin 60 CSX. Worked on my last bike and works nicely on the Stelvio. Also have a Ram mount for my video camera on the bars. Plenty of room and no blocking of instruments.

Like one of these?
$15 on Amazon, just replaces one of the bar clamp screws.

Attachments

• IMAG0581.jpg
    IMAG0581.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 473
Okay, I thought you guy would get a kick out of this. I'm about finished with my Stelvio conversion. My latest add-ons:

A few emergency tools for the outback (thread-lock on all knobs, red knobs hold tail pack)

IMG_2163.jpg

Tool tube and I always carry a rope

IMG_2164.jpg

Converted Laminar Lip attachment to nylon screws instead of hook-and-loop

IMG_2169.jpg

Waterproof Giant Loop tankbag

IMG_2168.jpg

Back