• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

new v7 classic/cafe final drive ratio (too revvy!)

chrisk

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, I’ve just test ridden a v7 and found that it’s revving pretty high at 70 mph. I made it about 4000 revs at 70 mph. Can someone confirm how much it’s revving at 70mph?

So I’m thinking of changing the final drive ratio. There is a 35/8=4.375 advertised on the www.mgcycle.com website, does anyone know what sort or reduction this will give. I’ve seen standard listed as 4.825.

Any more ideas, details of stockists of final drives? Is changing the drive a DIY job?
Chris

That's about right, no need to change anything the 750 is best between 3500 and 5K and above, you can't hurt it. New to Guzzi's ? Takes time to adjust to the rev band on all of them 750,1100,1200.

You will still get about 50 Mpg at 70 mph

I'd say a modern smallblock would rev about 5000 rpm at 70mph/112kmh ? My memory may fail, but I'm quite sure that 4000 rpm is equal to 90 kmh (56 mph) , which is a very unpleasant speed on my Breva - it's the unsweet spot spot on.:mrgreen:
Unfortunately it's also the "basic speed" limit here. :dry:
Concerning the number of revv's it's just OK. You may be used to some kind of cruiserthing, if 4000/70 is a high number to you.

4,000 RPM at 70 MPH. That is just the way my 1990 MKV and 1100 Breva are geared. Are you sure you weren't turning about 5,000? Anyway, as stated above, those RPMs are pretty much optimum for the engines. In time it will feel just right.

Hi all, update - test rode a v7c again, 70 mph = 4400 rpm, 80 mph = 5100 rpm.

Anyway, I love the little f*ker, so I'll be buying one over the next couple of weeks. I just wish it either had another gear or would be doing about 4500 rpm at 80mph.

I was talking to the parts bloke at a guzzi dealer who said that the drive box from a nevada has the ratios 31/8=3,875, which might fit, but that he couldn't tell for sure and that the only way to tell would be to try it. Any idea on this one ?

Chris

Your mechanic may quote an older Nevada; these are the transmission figures for the present one:
Cambio 5 marce
Valore rapporti cambio

1^ 11/26 = 1:2,3636
2^ 14/23 = 1:1,6429
3^ 18/23 = 1:1,2778
4^ 18/19 = 1:1,0556
5^ 25/22 = 1:0,88
Lubrificazione Forzata con pompa a lobi
Trasmissione primaria Ad ingranaggi rapporto: 16/21 = 1:1,3125
Trasmissione finale A cardano rapporto: 8/33 = 1:4,825
Frizione Monodisco a secco con parastrappi

- and for the V7C:

Cambio: 5 marce
Valore rapporti cambio:
1° 11/26 = 1 : 2,3636
2° 14/23 = 1 : 1,6429
3° 18/23 = 1 : 1,2778
4° 18/19 = 1 : 1,0556
5° 20/18 = 1 : 0,9
Lubrificazione: forzata con pompa a lobi - capacità circuito: 1,78 kg
Trasmissione primaria: ad ingranaggi, rapporto: 16/21=1 : 1,3125
Trasmissione finale: a cardano, rapporto 8/33=1 : 4,825
Frizione:
monodisco a secco con parastrappi

Pretty much the same, as I can see. :dry:

Haven't tried, but I'd guess the transmissions can be swapped right over, but do check the parts catalogue. If the #-numbers are the same, they can.

hi, whilst we're on the subject, 33/8 = 4.125 not 4.825... I don;t get it...

Hi all, John Z was right, it does feel right. Basically the bikes gearing is spot on. For fast a-roads 70-80 is 4-5k, which is about as fast as it's right for, and 90 is okay for the occasional blast of for overtakes on the motorways. You can't really sit at anything over 80 on the motorway, without a fairing anyway, well not for long ...

So guzzi are right, I'm wrong...bow...

Chris

I dont know how valid my smallblock experience is here, but it sounds identical to my old '79 V50/II. 5000RPM (just nicely uncomfortably vibratey!) was bang on 80mph. It'd hit 90 and hold, but didn't feel too nice. Highest I got was an indicated 108 downhill, tailwind, passing a Goldwing so I was probably getting a bit of a tow ;)

Guzzi don't seem to change ratios often. Part of why I think the Griso has too many gears is that 4000rpm on the '95 Cali is 80mph. 4000rpm on the Griso in top is... 80mph. The Griso's extra gear is factored in somewhere in the lower gears which I feel is exactly the wrong place for it.

I have a Breva 750 (same engine as the V7) and a Honda CX 500. My Breva feels very unrevvy compared to the Honda which has the same power (around 50BHP) but is revving much higher, 7000rpm at 80mph!! So the Breva feels very lazy and unstressed in comparison and is a delight to ride.

All of the alternative ratios listed on the MG Cycle site are, to the best of my knowledge, for the big block bikes, older Tontis and the like.

The smallblocks all use the same final drive ratio, with the possible exception of the NTX and such like but I honestly believe they are the same. There is bound to be a smallblock nutter who will correct me if I'm wrong.

Admittedly I try to avoid smallblocks if I can but certainly with all the *Earlier* as in up to about 2000 models the gearing changes were all done by the primaries in the gearbox, not by the final drive.

Last thing. It's a Guzzi smallblock. Even more than the bigblocks they like to REV. If you wnat a Harley clone? Buy one. Don't try and turn a Guzzi smallblock into one.

Pete

I need to make a correction. The Griso 11 is 5000rpm at 80mph in top, not 4000. Since I've seen it pop over 130mph, thats a taaaaaall gear.

Guzzi's do rev to what seems at first to be unnaturally high speed. If the V7 is anything like the V50, uncomfortably so at motorway speeds.

Back