• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V7 II Stone POS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this then. I have, in recent times, owned a Suzuki and a Honda. I still have the Honda. The Suzuki had issues, including a factory cam chain tensioner that was a bad design. It would wear out the cam chain early. There was no factory fix for it and the solution was to know about the bad design and replace it with a good design tensioner. My Honda has a recall for a bad relay. And the Honda has incredibly poor quality parts. So I am batting 0 for two with the Japanese brands.
You had a dealer miss a bolt. Some of your other issues, well some of that is clearly the bike. But did you expect a Guzzi to run like an appliance? If you did you clearly did not do your research in advance of the purchase. Guzzi's tend to come needing a little work to finish what the factory started. Once that work is done they tend to last a long time and are usually very reliable. Not everyone is meant to own a Guzzi as they do need that extra effort from the owner. But Guzzi's are clearly not alone in having problems.
I have four Guzzi's and would have no issues riding any of them across the country, other than getting the required time off.....

I'm 66 years old and have owned motorcycles since I was 14, more than I can count or remember. I have 4 in the garage right now, representing 3 different countries of origin. Aside from 2 lovely Brit bikes in the 70's with electrics by the Prince of Darkness and oil seals made of cottage cheese, not a one I've owned has been as, umm, un-appliance-like as the V7S. I'm fully aware that motorcycles are neither sewing machines nor washing machines nor cars nor passenger planes. But anything built in 2014 and costing what this did should display better quality than this does. And yes, of course I did a lot of reading and research before I bought it. The Guzzi fan-boys that buy these things all say pretty much the same thing - wonderfully reliable pieces of fine European craftsmanship that last a lifetime, albeit with a few 'rough edges'. In my mind, there's really no excuse for either the poor manufacturing QA, or the cavalier attitude of seemingly most of the dealers, including the supposedly reputable ones.

"Ahh, whatcha gonna do, it's Italian, must've been too much vino the night before, ha ha ha". As I said, this is now pretty much my around-town bike, and when I get tired of that I'll pass it along to someone who appreciates spending endless hours wrenching on it or watching it leave on a flatbed for yet another trip to the dealer.

I'm 66 years old and have owned motorcycles since I was 14, more than I can count or remember. I have 4 in the garage right now, representing 3 different countries of origin. Aside from 2 lovely Brit bikes in the 70's with electrics by the Prince of Darkness and oil seals made of cottage cheese, not a one I've owned has been as, umm, un-appliance-like as the V7S. I'm fully aware that motorcycles are neither sewing machines nor washing machines nor cars nor passenger planes. But anything built in 2014 and costing what this did should display better quality than this does. And yes, of course I did a lot of reading and research before I bought it. The Guzzi fan-boys that buy these things all say pretty much the same thing - wonderfully reliable pieces of fine European craftsmanship that last a lifetime, albeit with a few 'rough edges'. In my mind, there's really no excuse for either the poor manufacturing QA, or the cavalier attitude of seemingly most of the dealers, including the supposedly reputable ones.

"Ahh, whatcha gonna do, it's Italian, must've been too much vino the night before, ha ha ha". As I said, this is now pretty much my around-town bike, and when I get tired of that I'll pass it along to someone who appreciates spending endless hours wrenching on it or watching it leave on a flatbed for yet another trip to the dealer.

I am 60 years old and have owned about 30 motorcycles. 3 of those have been Guzzis. Some of the bikes have been real beaters and the majority have been Hondas with a few Suzukis, Yamahas and one BMW. I have had a few problem children, a Honda 500 Turbo that would keep second gear for one season at a time. Honda's answer was "We have no problem with that transmission." but the next year CX650 Turbo had a completely different transmission in it. I fixed mine the fourth time by sending it out to be undercut and the shift drum cut. But Honda fixed it in one year. Overall no bike has been more problem, or even close, than my Guzzis. Apparently you cannot buy one without fixing the stuff they overlooked. It would not be so bad if the incremental improvements were done each year but they do not. Why is there a starting problem from 1978 to 2015 that can be fixed by rerouting a single wire? Why did it take 4 years to fix the flat tappet problem on the 8V engines and they still do not consider it a problem? One thing I cannot defend on a Guzzi is the initial build quality. The catch is IF you get them fixed they grow on you and you want another. Myself I feel a backup bike is necessary due to the poor support from Piaggio and the dealers. I personally think half the problem with the dealers is they know Piaggio will not back them.

It's the absolute worst workmanship/quality I've ever noticed. It's not so much a bad product, more a case of something really bad going on within those factory walls with those workers. Looks to me like maybe a lack of accountability. That is most often the issue when this stuff is going on. Good management with accountability forced on the workers can often correct these things. I think it's probably a case of the social welfare state of mind in Italy.

It's the absolute worst workmanship/quality I've ever noticed. It's not so much a bad product, more a case of something really bad going on within those factory walls with those workers. Looks to me like maybe a lack of accountability. That is most often the issue when this stuff is going on. Good management with accountability forced on the workers can often correct these things. I think it's probably a case of the social welfare state of mind in Italy.

Wow.......compared to my old V11 Sport (2000) these bikes have fantastic fit/finish/workmanship.

Wow.......compared to my old V11 Sport (2000) these bikes have fantastic fit/finish/workmanship.
It is all relative. The differences in build quality between a modern Guzzi and one from ten, 20, or 30 years ago years is pretty dramatic. They are a tiny motorcycle company. Consider how many (or few) bikes they build each year. They are the second oldest make but also one of the smallest. Honda makes more of one model than they make total. You could make the argument that they are still a tiny make because they do such a bad job of building bikes, and that isn't entirely untrue. But on the other hand, being such a small make allows them to build bikes that a bigger make wouldn't touch because there is no chance of selling enough bikes for them to be interested.
It is what it is.
For me, Moto Guzzi's either speak to you or they don't. If they don't, you are probably better off riding something else. If they speak to you there is nothing else.

I too am an "old guy" and had many bikes over the years. Sat and listened very closely but the V7C hasn't spoken to me yet.
Maybe a cup of espresso would be in order ;)

I have a few bikes in my stable and the Guzzi is the one I could part with and no regrets.
Now the Kawasaki W650, that's another story.

All of this has been a bit of an eye-opener. I bought the bike because it met some key criteria, but now it appears that I made the wrong choice. If I can't trust it enough to take it out on the road, I need to find something else.

Aside from my bad clutch, warranty engine swap and header bolts backing out twice and losing an exhaust hanger bolt.... I love my Guzzi. Bolts needed to be locktited down and my new engine is running smooth. Granted, I only have maybe 600mi on my new motor and 2400mi total on the bike. Just got it Dec of last year.

All of this has been a bit of an eye-opener. I bought the bike because it met some key criteria, but now it appears that I made the wrong choice. If I can't trust it enough to take it out on the road, I need to find something else.

I hope your main rear seal get's fixed and ends your problems. Pokey, I feel like you've been such a loyal and faithful Guzzi rider for so long, I don't want you to go...

I read a post someone put up over on the ADV forum. Some guy over there claims that Moto Guzzi cranks and main bearings on the V7 don't run true, and that's why those seals go out like that. I guess his claim is if you get a crank with a wobble in it and replace that seal it just will keep going out. It also will cause the clutch to go out pre mature. So if you have trouble with clutch adjustments it could be related to this out of whack crank which is moving around.

Noticed some guy reported a connecting rod failure and it cracked the side of the lower case. Total engine failure and he's off warranty.

You got to wonder how much of this perhaps going on we don't hear about. Not everyone visits forums and rants about this stuff.

Well, this thread has certainly been enlightening. If I had read this about a month ago, I probably would have been scared off of buying my V7. However, I'm glad I took the plunge and now I have a whole list of things to keep an eye on lol. I've read similar posts on Hinkley triples and had great luck with three of them in the past (one current) so hopefully my luck will continue. 620 mile in and nothing to add to the list of misfortune so far.

Wait, I almost forgot, my tail light lens fell off in the first 500 miles :blush:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back