• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Change intervals (part 2)

Riversider

Just got it firing!
I'm picking this up from a thread last year. (See also under recent threads, but thought I should start a new one.) It's an oil change question for John Zibell among others. What is the argument for an annual change? My bike is a 1200 Sport 4V (not rollerised) low mileage in great condition. I ask the question because I changed my oil (slightly before the recommended interval) in June last year. I only managed a couple of thousand miles after that, before laying the bike up for winter —in a heated garage. I only do long rides (no short commutes etc) so the bike is always fully hot on the road. I have at least another 3,000 miles to go before the next service is due, but the "annual" change will come long before that. Do I do my next change according to the calendar or the distance?
And if we're talking regular annual oil changes, do you recommend new oil before laying up, or new oil on starting up in the Spring?

I suppose the argument for the annual oil change is that the oil will become degraded with additional contaminants over time, such as moisture from the atmosphere. If you accept this logic then the second question is answered in that changing oil in the spring will leave oil in the engine from the running contaminants and the storage contaminants, changing in the fall will only expose the engine to storage contaminants. Possibly just draining the oil in the fall would be better as long as you remember to add it in the spring.

Oil changes are relatively inexpensive in time and materials so I always change on the recomended mileage. However, I have not always done so annually, but I've never gone over two years.

The only way to really tell is to compare identical machines subjected to various practices. I don't think you would notice a difference over the average life of street machines under normal riding conditions as long as the mileage changes are done and we are only talking about two years or so.

Best answer is: change by mileage or annually whichever comes first. You get to work on your bike more and you will probably feel better about it. Also, oil change to me means oil and filter. Leaving the filter on just leaves contaminated oil in the bike, you can't get it all out anyway especially with the oil coolers not draining well so don't make it worse by leaving a old filter on.

Thanks for the input. If we're doing annual oil changes as matter of course (regardless of mileage) then I'd favour a change just before the winter lay-up —leaving clean oil in the engine. (And yes, of course, a new filter.) This is why I'm asking about how important the calendar change is as a matter of technical necessity and principle in these 4 valve (8 valve!) engines.

Otherwise one might wonder about the efficacy (and the economics) of changing the very best fully synthetic 10-60 oil at no more than two thirds of its recommended mileage every year. My own practice is always to change oil early — before the recommended period is up. But maybe not 3,000 miles early in this particular case! Interesting question.

My take on annual changes is that it is baloney. Running the engine and getting the oil good and hot will vapor off any contaminants, both moisture and possibly fuel. I'd run it until you get the service light. That said, I do recommend doing the roller conversion sooner rather than later. I've seen pretty worn followers on low mileage bikes.

That's my own feeling on the issue John: good long hot runs, and stored well in a garage should keep the oil OK. But you have identified a little anxiety on my part about the 8 valve engine —which so far is doing fine. So far . . .
I'm hoping to manage more miles this year, so the calendar / mileage difference will be much less in future.

I bought a 473ml bottle of Red line breakin engine oil additive. It has then ZZDP hardening stuff in it that is lacking in modern oils. Speculation was it helps flat tappet bikes.

Back