• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Check

Chet Van Aken

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
I got the bright idea to take the dip stick cap off while on the side stand. About a quart of oil fell on the floor and with all the mess I almost screwed up the plastic threads. I ran it a few miles to warm and put in a chock and the oil was barely 1/4 quart low.

Check your oil from the dealer, and I understand why the oil cap is plastic but it is pretty fragile be careful with it. I did not repeat the side stand oil cap check, one mess a day is enough.

BTDT. My dealer also apparently overfilled oil. Didn't spill too much, but need to recheck it with bike on the level.
Note to self... :rofl:

Bit ridiculous because early prototypes all had sightglass on right side. Still has casting mark where it used to be. MG probably saved a few cents by deleting it. I ordered optional centrestand to make it easier to check and change oil.

BTDT. My dealer also apparently overfilled oil. Didn't spill too much, but need to recheck it with bike on the level.
Note to self... :rofl:
Follow-up on oil level. With the bike on the center stand and the front wheel shimmed so as to level the bike fore and aft, I sucked out 8 oz overfilled oil with a syringe to get the level to the TOP of the full mark. Definitely overfilled before delivery ( I assume by the dealer?)

All bikes must be checked when in upraised position, dipstick or sightglass doesn’t matter (I may stand corrected if there are any exceptions 🙂).

That said, I checked my V100 a little while ago, and the bike have run about 2200 miles (3600km) since first service.
The oil level was approximately in 2/3 between low and max level.
Checked with cold engine (several days without use).
This mentioned as people have commented that Guzzis must never be topped up with oil to the max level due to that excessive oil will go up to the air box (via engine ventilation).
But as this is the first Guzzi with a wet clutch, and also developed by Aprilia (mainly or totally?) perhaps they designed it more conventional with regards to oil level?
I have no clue, and this is also my first Guzzi, so people with more experience can in due time confirm this.
In any case, either my V100 hasn’t consumed any oil at all, or it has been fine with a slightly higher oil level after first service.
All good.

Last edited:
MG probably saved a few cents by deleting ...

No they didn't saved anything.
The sightglass was designed for the original oil capacity of 3,5 liters BUT, during the test the oil level was increased up to 4,9 liters.
So to modify the casting would be too expensive and the put the dipstick.

All bikes must be checked when in upraised position, dipstick or sightglass doesn’t matter (I may stand corrected if there are any exceptions 🙂).

That said, I checked my V100 a little while ago, and the bike have run about 2200 miles (3600km) since first service.
The oil level was approximately in 2/3 between low and max level.
Checked with cold engine (several days without use).
This mentioned as people have commented that Guzzis must never be topped up with oil to the max level due to that excessive oil will go up to the air box (via engine ventilation).
But as this is the first Guzzi with a wet clutch, and also developed by Aprilia (mainly or totally?) perhaps they designed it more conventional with regards to oil level?
I have no clue, and this is also my first Guzzi, so people with more experience can in due time confirm this.
In any case, either my V100 hasn’t consumed any oil at all, or it has been fine with a slightly higher oil level after first service.
All good.
Why is the oil level on brand new v100 s 30 mm above the max mark on the dipstick. This is 500 ml above the max mark.
With the bike on the side stand, if you undo the dip stick oil runs out. I quickly screwed in the dipstick and checked the level with the bike upright, 30 mm above max mark.
The next day I was able to try removing the dipstick on a demo bike (less than a week old) same thing happens.
Saw a UK review by Lambchop. The V100 he had was the same.
Are these the only three bikes like this?
Are all like this?
Are only some like This?

A. your dealer screwed up and put in too much oil. I'd suck out a bit to get it between the top line and the middle.
B. Guzzi decided after testing that it needed more oil in it than originally planned so the sight glass was eliminated and now the dipstick hole is too low. They will fix it in 3-10 years or so when they need to make another crank case modification.

Why is the oil level on brand new v100 s 30 mm above the max mark on the dipstick. This is 500 ml above the max mark.
With the bike on the side stand, if you undo the dip stick oil runs out. I quickly screwed in the dipstick and checked the level with the bike upright, 30 mm above max mark.
The next day I was able to try removing the dipstick on a demo bike (less than a week old) same thing happens.
Saw a UK review by Lambchop. The V100 he had was the same.
Are these the only three bikes like this?
Are all like this?
Are only some like This?
How did you measure it? Dipstick must not be screwed in to check the level. Just unscrew the dispstick, clean it with celan wipe and then jus put it back into the hole and take out and check the oil level. and are you sure with 30 mm, it means 3 cm and I think in that case oil will spill out from the dipstick hole even in upright position. ;-)

Ok, had another look at the dipstick and remeasured . I was a little out with my measurement.
With the dipstick NOT screwed in the initial oil level was 2-3 mm above the mold mark on the fat part of the dipstick.
This makes it 25 mm above the max mark, still 18 mm below the top of the threaded portion so, the bike in the upright position would not have oil running out of the dipstick hole.
There are a number of things here that don't add up.
We sucked out 500 ml. This got the the level down to about 3-4 mm below max.
If the sight glass was deleted because the oil capacity was raised from 3.5 lt to 4.9 lt, what about the dipstick?
Is the dipstick for 3.5 lt capacity?
If that were the case then removing 500 ml should show a level that is 900 ml above max. on a 3.5 lt capacity dipstick.
All pretty confusing. no wonder there's nothing on oil level in booklet that comes with the bike.
Do I put the 500 ml back in and run with an overfilled level according to the dipstick, or do I go with the dipstick.??????????

I'm having a hard time reading the black dipstick myself, even with a white cloth and plenty of light but I would not advise running the bike overfilled with oil, so if you can see it, go with the dipstick.

The early V100's had a sight glass and there was no provision for a dipstick. Instead of changing the gearbox casting with a higher sight glass to show the new level MG made a new lower crankcase with a dip stick. I do not know why the need to increase the oil volume by 1.4 litres was made. I think the bikes arrive with a factory oil fill, mine was showing just above the max mark, I removed 250 millilitres to bring it to the max mark.

Last edited:
I read that too but I can't understand how increasing the volume of oil in the sump would keep the clutch cool.

I am tempted to lower the oil level to the minimum on the dip stick to see if that alleviates the first gear lurch and clunk.

Back