• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

One year review, and general jabbering, now that the season is over. Part 1.

Rapier

Tuned and Synch'ed
Since riding season is pretty much officially over in Michigan today with the weather turning it’s time to jabber about bikes so here is the first part of my long story and review of the Stelvio. Specifically the NTX, mine a 2013.

First things first. I had a 73 Guzzi V7 Sport back in 77-78. My first bike was a Ducati 250 Monza so I knew and loved Italian motorcycles. The thing I’ve always said about the Guzzi is that it took 50 miles to warm up. Of course that isn’t quite a literal fact, it’s a feeling, a rhythm thing. Now, my 40 year newer Stelvio, as expected, takes 50 miles to warm up. I put 16K miles on it this year so I know of what I speak. I am not going to give some or any explanation about my assertion about the 50 mile thing. You either get it, or you don’t.

A little more backstory. After the Guzzi I didn’t do much riding for a couple of years but then I bit the bullet and against sentiment I went with speed, smoothness, suspension and reliability of Japan and got a new Kawasaki 2002 KZ 750. Various other Japanese bikes ensued and from 2004 till last fall I had 2 different Kawasaki ZZR 1200’s. A bike that nobody ever paid attention to but is in fact a great great Grand Touring machine in the classic sense. Incredibly fast, just a tick or two slower than a Hyabusa or ZX12 or 14 in the real world and below 140 or so which typically dyno’ed in the 140 RWHP range. Comfortable enough for 4000 mile tours and essentially trouble free for over 100K miles. On the big Zed I used to say that I was the master of space and time. Still miss it. I would still have it if I had the room in the garage for 2 bikes.

Not totally comfortable however. Slightly high pegs, some weight on the wrists in a lean forward position and in the full air flow on the head and upper body, very very smooth mind you, while tolerable was not ideal. Since retirement was arriving, and came this May, I started torturing myself over replacement more appropriate for long distance travel. I had 8V Norge’s on my mind as a possibility but it just struck me wrong to have that big lump of Guzzi engine covered in plastic. It just isn’t right. Anyhow they were at the top of my price range and not easy to find. I looked at Concours, FJ’s and RT 1200’s. I simply hate the nature of the boxer BMW motors. Then one day the thought occurred to me to look at ‘adventure’ bikes, No way I am going off road or BDR's on these beasts but the ability to happily travel bad roads and gravel along with comfort and big luggage capacity they started to made sense. I poured over Cycle Trader and reviews. The list was whittled down to the Multistrada, Caponord or the Stelvio. The reliability of the first two, so loaded with tech scared me. I was hot for a Multistrada however for the HP and everything else performance wise but used ones were at the tippy top of my price range. I actually drove across the state exactly a year ago to buy one from a BMW dealer if it looked good, and it did but some guy had called and made a deposit on in minutes before I arrived.

After that reason returned and besides the reliability and possible high cost of ownership of the Ducati and Aprillia I really wanted shaft drive and those big aluminum side cases, so Stelvio it was. Then I had to find one.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Came from two Multistradas 2013 and 2016, and the Stelvio is a good bike for me. The 2013 actually ran stronger than the "DVT" 2016, or was more visceral I guess you could say but I don't miss either of the bikes when I'm on the Stelvio. Still refining the wind protection situation, have an MRA X-Creen [touring] blade mounted currently and it helped but still playing with it.

One year report, part 2, after a slight delay.

So I find a Stelvio in Miami and took some chances buying it sight unseen but a video, from some yahoos. 2013, 570 miles, no idea about the back story, $10K at my door by truck. The charging system didn't work. Long story. Related probably to that alternator wiring issue you may have seen. We didn't know of that at the time so I kludged some power to that relay, if you know what I mean. I will get down to that connector this winter.

So I get the Stel all set up and away I went on June 10th. 5 weeks later I am home in Michigan after reaching Yosemite, Eureka, the Missouri Breaks and various spots in between. It did exactly what I wanted it to do, but I didn't like the way it did it. It tipped over on me twice when coming to a stop and almost a bunch of other times. It just felt so damn top heavy to me. I had a top case with lots of stuff in it. Handy as hell. I go solo but have dry bags on the seat as I pack heavy, for camping, self contained, always with some food and water. In 5 weeks I spent 7 nights in motels. So when I get home I rip the top case off, heavy bastard with the mounting plate, and it's a new bike. Much much much better, but still.... more below.

I got this 2013 last December and it had 570 miles on it. I did the plug boot thing and the iridium plug thing and it always ran kind of crummy at best at small throttle openings and at various times the backfiring on closed throttle was embarrassing. Within days of getting home I put a bottle of Techron fuel treatment in and presto, I mean right away before I even knew it most of the terrible low and closed throttle issues were now gone. Not perfect now but good. Must have been gunked up injectors. After all the thing had sat around almost unused for several years. Silly of me not to do that right away.

With 570 miles on it obviously the tires were like new. I am well wary of older tires, having bought 2 previous ultra low mileage older bikes, the ZZR's, with tires that just screamed, we are not fit to go fast. A fingernail test said these weren't so bad and hadn't turned to rock, and this was not a 100MPH in a few seconds sort of bike,, so I left them on. During the trip I changed the rear which didn't really effect the handling. In essence I hated the way it felt, or actually didn't feel, front end wise, handling wise, confidence wise. Even with the heavy top case gone and that feeling of top heaviness greatly reduced I still didn't like it. Then I got a new front tire when back home. Bingo again. I could feel the front end. All snapped into place. Enjoyment of riding the thing in any manner, slow, fast, on pavement,was now pleasing. Fun, instead of, 'well I am sure to get where I'm going comfortably and with some style, but no feeling at one with the bike.

Then off again I went, to Nebraska, the Sand Hills, to see the eclipse. After that to CO for a bit of alpine. Now I love the Stelvio. It's now fun to drive and meets my expectations to the letter. Oh, I would love something fast, really fast, sometimes, but screw that. A few miles short of 17,000 this year. I'll be a gypsy again next year and hopefully a few more, on any road. What's better than that?

Last edited:
Back