• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Plate light not working 2022 V7 special

me1abpsu

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hello,

The LED plate light works intermittently on my 2022 v7. My bike is due for state inspection and they won’t pass it with it not functioning properly.

I’ve started to disassemble stuff to troubleshoot. It doesn’t seem to be a loose connection at the light housing. Does anyone know if these newer bikes are canbus? Or have a wiring diagram? Riding season is over here but I need to get this fixed!

The only thing I’ve done is changed out the headlight bulbs to LED. Not sure if that would have caused it the issue. It really seems like a loose connection somewhere though.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

Intermittent issues are almost impossible to find. My advice is to locate every connector, take them apart, clean with contact cleaner and re-assemble. May fix the issue, ,may not. Also there is a thread on troubleshooting circuits that may help you.

Your V7 might be different from my V85TT, but my license plate light was also out shortly after I purchased the bike (did not notice it at first). Although the manual indicates LED (probably for Europe), mine had an incandescent bulb that was burned out. I replaced it with an equivalent Sylvania LED and it has been fine ever since.

It’s an LED bulb. I pulled more parts off tonight to get the entire wire harness out but then got called away on other responsibilities. I’ll fuss with it this weekend. From what I can tell, it does look like the same wiring as the older V7’s.

OMG. Pause.

There are manual’s available in the DOWNLOADS section. You need only make a donation of your choice, to the site in the DONATE section to gain access.

(I’m just a member here but I encourage you and anyone reading this, to kick in a little coin for the stuff you can get here with no advertising! Every bit helps Todd who helps us all)

I don’t see this file there yet so I will link to my Google Drive for GTM to put in the DOWNLOADS.

This being said, in the V7 E5 Special Stone Service Manual on page 112, is a complete wiring diagram.

Looks like this.

. IMG 3191

The harness is a hybrid with CANbus. The CANbus wiring is easily identified by the twisted pair drawing that looks like this:

IMG 3192

On your motorcycle, the CANbus wires will look like this (different color combos of course!):

IMG 3193

This twisting IS CRITICAL for proper operation as it eradicates stray magnetic interference by equalizing it in both wires.

Furthermore, you absolutely cannot tap into these CANbus wires for anything whatsoever, as you will cause all sorts of problems from hell. There are measured resistances throughout this harness to aid in notifying the operator of blown lights and this is why I always try to discourage people from changing to LED’s. Invariably there are always issues like this.

In this particular schematic, the license plate LED is (17) and it looks to share the same ground path as the headlight. It is not CANbus, however there is an in line resistor at (19).

My strong suggestion is that you should consider simply returning your motorcycle to stock configuration to verify if the problem disappears. I am betting that it will as I think your issue is variable resistance through the ground path.

If so, then Bob’s your Uncle and you are ready to pass inspection. 👍

Afterwards, you can reattempt installing your changes at your leisure.

This is obviously the most expeditious course of action to verify if the two things are related.

I would clearly start there!

Also, for what it is worth, you have a 2022. Isn’t it still under the 2 year warranty? Make a claim at your local dealer. Let them hunt it down and fix it for you for free.

Last edited:
Thanks Scott. I didn’t know that those resources were available for a donation. That’s nice!

I haven’t come across any twisted pairs yet but I haven’t taken the wire harness apart. I may take it to the dealer but they’re 3 hours away so I’d rather try to fix it myself before dedicating 12 hours in driving, assuming I’ll have to drop it off and pick it up. Also would need to rent a trailer again.

If I need to punt on this, I’ve seen some license plate bolts with lights in them on Amazon I could buy. Also the PA inspection code says something like “if there is a license plate light it should operate”. I’ll talk to the mechanic doing the inspection and maybe I can just remove it and he’ll pass me.

Customer service said take it to the dealer. That would have cost more in gas and trailer rental than buying it myself. $50 later and it works! Hopefully this isn’t a common problem because that’s an expensive bulb change.

Back