• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Question about vintage tires on a V7 Stone

Spumoni

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Got a new 2016 V7II Stone on the way, and would love to get some vintage looking tires on those stock wheels. I am assuming the tires on the stone are tubeless, but it seems as though the Racer has a tube type.

The problem is, finding 17 inch vintage style rear tires is next to impossible. Firestone may be coming out with something in that size, but not till next year. However, I found these on eBay - far far away. Any ideas if these will work? (I noticed the stock tire nozzle comes out at a right angle - would that create a problem with a tube? One link is for rear, one is for front. (Yes, I am aware of total performance loss, at great expense!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182223980435?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend staying with modern tires. You will have better traction. Besides you don't know how old the tires on e-bay may be. New condition, doesn't necessarily mean made in the last year or two.

In the end it depends on what you want.
Avon typically has a selection of classic style tires, and theirs usually have been upgraded to work like modern tires while looking retro. I would look into Avon tires, the roadrunner, Safety Mileage MkII, and Speedmaster MkII, are all retro looking tires. I don't know if they come in your required sizes.
I buy tires based on how they work, not how they look so I really can't help more. Tires and brakes are, to me, performance based choices. I want the ones that work the best.

Got to ask - has the OP ever ridden a bike much before?
Tyres are the things that stop you falling off. As said above, modern ones work, and you can't see them when you are riding the bike so it really does not matter what they look like. You can only see them when the bike is stationary....OK, got it now......this bike is obviously not being bought to be ridden......
AndyB

I put on Metzeler's Sportec Klassic's on my bike. They have a retro tread patter and offer great traction. I like them a lot better than the stock tires

Last edited by a moderator:
I put on Metzeler's Sportec Klassic's on my bike. They have a retro tread patter and offer great traction. I like them a lot better than the stock tires

I just replaced the stockers with pilot actives. I really like them so far but have not had an opportunity to test in wet conditions.

Got a new 2016 V7II Stone on the way, and would love to get some vintage looking tires on those stock wheels. I am assuming the tires on the stone are tubeless, but it seems as though the Racer has a tube type.
The problem is, finding 17 inch vintage style rear tires is next to impossible. Firestone may be coming out with something in that size, but not till next year. However, I found these on eBay - far far away. Any ideas if these will work? (I noticed the stock tire nozzle comes out at a right angle - would that create a problem with a tube? One link is for rear, one is for front. (Yes, I am aware of total performance loss, at great expense!)
Getting beyond a huge step backwards in performance and ease of flat repair, you can remove the valve stems and fit tubes on the Stone cast wheels. Looks like you are stuck on the rear tire (rim size at 17" is correct) for the balloon bias-ply tire look.
If you are completely committed, I can lace up some 16" hoops for you to run the Firestones. Won't be cheap as you'd need to purchase the hubs new. Contact me direct email if so; Todd at GuzziTech.com

Thanks to all for the feedback. I know it's not very smart to make a decision based complete on aesthetics, especially when safety is being compromised - but I am absolutely willing to do it. I know you can't see the tires while you're riding, but I truly get equal enjoyment enjoyment staring at the bike when it's parked. To answer some questions, I have over 25 years of riding experience, and have owned many different types of bikes / makes and models over the years. The V7 is replacing my daily rider (customized Triumph T100). I generally don't ride in the rain, and I'm usually on back roads going at slower speeds.

If I want to go fast on windy roads, I'll ride my Ducati. My favorite bike by far is my 1942 Harley WLC (which has retro tires of course). Why not mix the two for my daily driver? The retro tires are speed rated for 94 mph. I have no intensions of ever going that fast on my V7.

Todd - Thanks for the offer on the 16 inch wheel, but I'm really digging the cast wheels. See the link below - this should be a perfect fit for the V7 rear.

http://www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/tt-classic-tyres/500-17-tt-classic-motorcycle.html

Another option I'm considering is whatever kind of Dunlop is in this picture:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.45.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 10.45.03 PM.png
    881.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I am wondering if you have ordered the wrong bike - have you thought about one of the V9 models? Maybe not too late to change your order.
AndyB

Good question Andy - but I am definitely satisfied with my choice for the V7. The V9 is great, but I prefer the size, stance and smaller motor of the V7. After seeing what they look like with the tracker kits installed (by baak) I fell in love with the shape and size of the bike. I literally ordered one the same day I came across that site. I should have the bike in the next couple days. Still deciding on tires. If I end up not going the vintage route, I have my eye on these. They got great reviews: http://www.motorcycletire.com/product/HN-K60S1308017.html

Todd's option is very tempting (lace up 16's) but one of the reasons I went with the V7 is because of the wheels!

I had a similar dilemma with my mk1 v35 that had a v65/monza conversion in it, wanted good tyre performance but classic looks.

I went for :-

http://en.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/modules/news/96_K34-New-Dimension.htm

had fantastic results with the K34 and would recommend them. I had a 650 engine with the original v35 low ratio gears and got about 3000 miles out of the rear and enjoyed every bit of the power!

i can tell from your photos on other threads that your not a spontaneous new biker reacting to a ad online
and you can fix and figure it out as you go
Avon Gripster was my first choice but i passed it up cause no matching front

Back