• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Questions - Possibly Purchasing 2015 Norge

BDS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi, just joined the forum. I am not an owner (yet). But, I did a really long test ride on a new "display" model. It was enough to get me seriously considering buying it (for a nice discount). Thus, my following queries...

No matter what the passion or forum, I like to run things by the guys who have experienced the good and bad. One of several things I am wondering about... Is the 2015 center stand any different than the prior models? The width when up and riding seems troublesome for spirited cornering (I have two Ducatis, and love the twisties). My test ride felt good/stable in the corners, but I wasn't at the edge of the tires (seeing it's not my bike, didn't want to risk a problem). Has anyone run into problems/fixes for it?

Did 2015 see any differences from prior year, in any areas? Hard to find info.

The Norge has grunt, but doesn't offer the speed I am used too. That said, are there upgrades commonly done that result in a noticeable improvement? Like slip-ons, Ecu, etc?

I do really like the riding position and ergonomics! This is why I'm considering the bike. I'm getting older, and it's time to give my back/wrists a break! So, a big question - There will always be problems here and there, but are they generally reliable?

Like Duc owners, Guzzi owners seem passionate. That's cool, and I may well be joining the community! Thanks for any comments. Ciao.

After 155'000 k's I've experienced the good & bad ( or should I say bad initially & good since then). Having owned 1 or 2, different bikes over the years, If you want some thing reliable I doubt if you could find better than a Guzzi( over engineered who knows).

who cares about being at the edge of tyres, all I'll say is you need to lean a little more ,it's easy to get rid of the "chicken strips" on a guzzi, but your right maybe the centre stand could pose a problem ( I don't have one on my sport, and I wonder why ,with a shaft you'd need one anyway). Want more speed? buy a Kwaka, ..... want to arrive before your mates after a 1000k day buy a Guzzi.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_truth_about_moto_guzzi.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: BDS
I do not consider myself an aggressive rider. THat said, my 2007 Norge with stock suspension set the center stand down hard enough to walk the back tire out from under me. Fortunately I caught it. I arrived home and threw it on the shelf. Later, I purchased upgraded suspension from Todd and reinstalled the center stand but I shortened the stop and bent the stop mount so the stand just cleared the muffler. It never touched down again but to be honest it was in the back of my mind. I now have a 2012 and I am currently installing the new shock and I shortened the center stand stop. I bought it used and have only ridden it 150 miles so no report on the stand otherwise. Is it a good bike? I'd have to say yes as I was insane enough to buy another after a few years of other bikes. Will you need to do some upgrades? Yes. I plan to post what I have done to mine once I get it all done and back on the road.

Thanks for the comments folks. Yeah, I know I'd be trading some handling/accel for comfort - but, that's why I'm interested! I'm actually leaning heavily toward the purchase. The shop will make a nice deal, and include a discounted install of an Agostini slip-on. An acquaintance that has his second Norge says the slip-on helps in the mid rpms. He also said he trimmed the rubber down on his center stand and hasn't had an issue with scraping in the corners. So, maybe these tweaks and a Ecu remap, good to go?! Still, the idea of no back ache after a 300 mile ride is #1!

Thanks folks!

Is the 2015 center stand any different than the prior models? The width when up and riding seems troublesome for spirited cornering (I have two Ducatis, and love the twisties). My test ride felt good/stable in the corners, but I wasn't at the edge of the tires (seeing it's not my bike, didn't want to risk a problem). Has anyone run into problems/fixes for it?

Did 2015 see any differences from prior year, in any areas? Hard to find info.

The Norge has grunt, but doesn't offer the speed I am used too. That said, are there upgrades commonly done that result in a noticeable improvement? Like slip-ons, Ecu, etc?

I do really like the riding position and ergonomics! This is why I'm considering the bike. I'm getting older, and it's time to give my back/wrists a break! So, a big question - There will always be problems here and there, but are they generally reliable?

The center stand has been pretty consistent over the years as far as size/location. Many owners cut some of the rubber stop in order to raise it a bit. However, the design for both center and side stand reflects the concept of the bike - a fast GT sport-tourer rather than a sport-bike with bags.

The 2015 was pretty much unchanged from the previous couple years of the 8v version. The only significant issue was that earlier 8v engines (2012 and previous) had an issue with wear in the flat tappet design. The more recent roller tappet engines (2012 mid year and newer) don't have this issue.

Riding a torque-oriented machine requires new habits compared to a top-end machine. It will grow on you. Remember that (as my racing instructor told me) 'smooth is fast'. The people who ride with me often say that the Norge is deceptively quick - because it looks like I'm dancing, not racing.

Once you've sorted out some of the basic common complaints (on this bike, there's the starter wiring bypass, perhaps some mapping changes esp. with your exhaust, and tuning or buying the suspension you like), the bike will be rock solid. Mine is now at 105,000 miles, and runs as well as ever. Compression is still well in spec, I'm planning to do the clutch, but so what - the clutch on my Subaru didn't last 105,000!

This is my go-to bike for Ironbutt endurance riding, and it has earned - and is given - respect.

Reactions: BDS
Thanks ITSec. Confidence inspiring post. I went to the shop today and rode the bike again, ...and made a deal. It'll be ready on Tuesday. They are going to put on an Agostini can, upgrade the ECU map, and adjust the throttle for me (I felt there was too much play - a good half inch twist with no resulting revs). But, dang, is it comfortable! I'm a short guy at 5'8", 170lbs, and 30" inseam. Adv bikes are too tall, ...same - and heavy - for the sport tourers like Trophy, FJR, Concours. Anddd... The price was right on the Norge (2015, but new - it was the display bike that went to shows)! $13k flat. I am getting stoked for an annual North Carolina trip next month.

I'll have to ask the shop owner about the starter wiring issue you mentioned. Thank goodness for the knowledge in these forums!

Thanks for the posts guys!

Well, picked up the bike today, between storms. Runs well. Sounds great (I am used to riding Ducatis, so the no db killer can is just right. It did bump up the mid rpm acceleration noticeably from my prior rides of the bike. Probably good for a few HP bump. About the ECU map, the way Enzo (shop owner) explained it to me, they can use their softwar to upgrade the ECU map version to the latest from MG (which my "new" '15 has). beyond that, for the stock ECU, it learns the setup via the sensors and pretty much tweaks itself to obtain an optimal fuel/air mix. So, with the new can, they reset the ECU, so it isn't still running on the previous data, and going forward will base the map on sensor data for the current setup with the Agostini. Again - I am new to the Norge. But, it seems like a nice bike. I'll give a good spirited run when the sun comes back.

Anyone know how accurate the gas gauge is on these bikes? I'm curious how the fuel economy will be. Saw a post about bad mpg and almost running out of gas. Also, I think the revs are limited to 6500 for break in (the red light comes on about then). Does that sound right? Thx!

You can change the rpm that the red light flashes via the menu settings. It does not actually limit the rpm, just warns when you are that high. Fuel gauges seem to vary so I would just feel it out for a few tanks. I am one who is disappointed in my mileage with the new 8V compared to my older 4V. It seems each time I buy a vehicle the mileage is worse than the last vehicle I had (650 V-Strom purchase excluded). I prefer to go 200 miles minimum before I even want to start looking for a station and that is why I love the 6 gallon tank. Unfortunately the new 8V seems to be at it's limit at 200 miles. My old 4V the fuel gauge was accurate after it hit 3/4 tank heading down. The mileage indicator was accurate also. On this one, not so much on either count. You just have to learn it.

The gas gauges vary a bit - some are more accurate than others, and some may not ever go to the completely full mark. Rather like cars' gas gauges. On mine, after filling the tank, the gauge will go to about 3/4, then over the next 5 minutes will go to FULL. The top half of the tank is 'bigger' than the bottom half; if you fill at 1/2 empty, you'll put in more than 1/2 tank of gas (likely about 3.5 US gallons or so).

Gas mileage is controlled by your right hand. You can get as low as 35 mpg, and as high as 45-48 (with a tailwind, steady speed of 60 on the highway).

Break in is generally 4000 rpm or less for the first 500 miles, then a gradual increase in engine speeds. However, the more important thing, as with most engines, is to vary engine speeds. Occasional 'enthusiasm' is better than steady runs at a specific rpm level. There are some bikes where you do break-in by riding it like you stole it - this is not one of those. You don't need to baby it though.

First service interval is MANDATORY - do not extend or skip it!

Finally, the info they gave you about the EFI 'learning' is true, but limited. The Norge uses a combination of open loop and closed loop operation; the ECU will learn about the can's effect for the part that it can, but when it is running off the map instead of the info from the O2 sensors, it can't apply that 'learning'. It may not be needed, so ride it for a while and see how you like it after the initial break-in.

And before I forget - if you haven't had a big twin before, you will find out that break-in is actually a VERY long process (not for you, but for the bike). My bike's engine didn't fully loosen up and get its best performance and power until it had about 15-20,000 miles on it.

Hey Bill, yep, I read those posts - in fact, it was abbienormal's post in that thread, about mileage that I was referencing. Hehe.

Thx abbienormal, for the comments. I'll check the rather substantial owner's manual for menu info!

I asked at the shop about the starter interruptus issue I've read about. He said the wiring is more substantial (heavier gauge) in the 2015, thus negating a need for the mod. I've also discovered that the center stand (and side stand) were redesigned? No rubber parts either. So, I'm hoping for a less likelihood of scraping than I originally thought.

Ciao,

Back