• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

reassembling Breva 1100 forks

nel

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I used a slide hammer action to separate chrome tube from stanchion. When you look at page 19 parts manual bush 17 is on the bottom of chrome tube and bush 4 inside top stanchion. I engage the chrome tube into the stanchion it slide together a few cm then hard stop. So the fork is in the extended position but wont compress. I think I need to use more force down the chrome tube into the stanchion. Any ideas?? So far the bottom pad pluger is in the stanchion screw in with the bottom bolt. Thought next engage tube into stanction compress more than my stuck postion. Them new seal on top of stanction washer then circlip. Preload tube in chrome tube and spring oil and top cap. I think one of the bushes isn't passing but the bushes havent been off. any ideas?

Should be videos on Youtube to help... but the slider bushing should only be installed once loosely assembled, meaning fork tube inside the slider. Common mistake to try to jamb them together with force. It is a gamble to do it this way, but it can be done with huge risk to damaging the bushes.

thks for the reply. U-tube videos dont seem to cover this fork as illustrated page 19 Breva parts pdf. I think you understand the problem the bush on the end of the chrome tube has to pass the bush in the top of the stanchion. I might be doing that but their is a tiny lip below the stanchion bush which is the stanction inner tube perimeter ie the seat for the stantion bush. Maybe ther a way to remove the stanction bush inset the tune compress then reinsert stantion top bush and new seal. I can't see how to do this.

Sorry I am guessing remove the bush form the chrome slider and install it loose in the bottom of the fork stanchion. Now insert chrome tube in stanchion compress all the way so chrome tube hits loose bush and hopefully engages the bush. Gotta be a better way?

Just to clarify and avoid confusion;
The Stanchion is the Chromed Tube, often called the Fork Tube.
The Slider is the Alloy Tube that houses the Seal and Bush (#4).

The Bush (#17) on the Stanchion (#18) will not pass through the Slider Bush (#4), you have to assemble the Stanchion (with Bush fitted) into the Slider, then Slide the #4 Bush down the Stanchion and tap it carefully home in the Slider.

Because the #17 Bush has to be 'opened' slightly to fit over the lip at the bottom of the Stanchion, you will usually need to hold it 'closed' tightly while fitting it into the Slider Bore, it's a bit like fitting a Piston and Rings into a Cylinder.

Thks john your description is accurate and I got one fork back together. Just got to fill with oil, stick the black pastic tube in, follow with spring narrow bit to the top and screw the cap on and maybe it will work.

Looking at the 2nd fork I cant get the lower leg bush out and I can see scratches below it so I'm thinking I should have replaced all the bushes. Maybe their is a tool you can insert down the leg to squeeze into the bush fork gap prising it upwards. Such at tool would have to have a right angle on it. A seal puller is to wide. Anyone recommend a tool?
Looking at bush part number AP8163093 £28 + vat AP8163098 £25. Any one know of generic Marzocchi cheaper?

You're not having much luck with this are you!

You can drift the Bush out with a long thin rod.
It needs to be just a fraction smaller in diameter than the Damper-Rod screw hole in the bottom of the slider (8mm?), and long enough to reach up to the Bush, with a few inches spare to allow you to tap it with a Hammer.
Work round the full circumference a little at a time, otherwise it'll jam up.

Don't worry about any slight marking on the inner surface of the Slider beneath the Bush, it won't affect the Fork action, or cause any issues.

There are other methods, it just depends what skills/tooling you have.

thks for the tip john. finised the forks try to source new univeral bushes but couldnt find any Aprilla charge £28 + Vat a bush they can F-off. Filled the fork 450cc 15w so the bushes don;t get the work out they use to. When I get the forks back on the bike doing the rear.

Back