• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Reassembling the Eldorado

Thanks for the clarification. Have you checked what I asked above?
If it's the float level, valve clearances and timing, then yes. All check good. The left side fires right up and sounds fine. I went thru the carb again last nite, lapped the valve seat some more, and even ran it thru the ultrasonic again. Still a lot of gas in there and on the plug.

I'm considering getting a replacement carb at this point to either fix the problem or rule it out as the problem.

I doubt you need a new carb.

The float is not adjusted correctly. it is obviously set to high therefore it never shuts off the fuel flow.

Do you have the specified distance set for the float? I don’t know what it is for this application.

I doubt you need a new carb.

The float is not adjusted correctly. it is obviously set to high therefore it never shuts off the fuel flow.

Do you have the specified distance set for the float? I don’t know what it is for this application.
It measured 24mm on the nose. I'm going to swap it with the left side and see what happens. \

Table: Dellorto carburetor float height values

CarburetorFloat height, millimeters
PHBG16 +/- 0.5
PHBL24 +/- 0.5
PHBH24 +/- 0.5
PHBE18 +/- 0.5
PHF18 +/- 0.5
PHM18 +/- 0.5
VHB/Z/T24 +/- 0.5
PHSB*11 +/- 0.5
VHSA*11 +/- 0.5
VHSB*11 +/- 0.5
* PHSB/VHSA/VHSB one piece float assembly.

Those specifications probably were designed for the black floats. If you have the white ones, then the level is too high as they are lighter. I suggest increasing the measurement about 2mm and see what happens no matter what color floats you have. One additional question, have you compared the weights of the two floats? If the one on the right is different from the left then you may have just found your answer. A friend of mine that works on BMWs has a tip scale to measure float weights. Since Bing never developed floats for ethanol fuel, they go heavy. He checks float weight on every airhead he works on.

Those specifications probably were designed for the black floats. If you have the white ones, then the level is too high as they are lighter. I suggest increasing the measurement about 2mm and see what happens no matter what color floats you have. One additional question, have you compared the weights of the two floats? If the one on the right is different from the left then you may have just found your answer. A friend of mine that works on BMWs has a tip scale to measure float weights. Since Bing never developed floats for ethanol fuel, they go heavy. He checks float weight on every airhead he works on.
The floats are neither white or black but an olive drab color. Regardless, I swapped the left and right to no effect and then tried the old needle, also to no effect. Still nothing but the occasional pop.

The floats are neither white or black but an olive drab color. Regardless, I swapped the left and right to no effect and then tried the old needle, also to no effect. Still nothing but the occasional pop.
Did you change the float level on the cylinder that isn't firing? I've never seen olive drab floats.

Yes sir I tried that last. The only change was a tremendous backfire with a lot of smoke when I throttled it up. The floats are real Dellorto’s. I’ve got the same colored one on my Lodola.

Yes sir I tried that last. The only change was a tremendous backfire with a lot of smoke when I throttled it up. The floats are real Dellorto’s. I’ve got the same colored one on my Lodola.
I'm beginning to suspect a defective carb body. I've seen that with Bings, but not on a DelOrto. I've got a pair of 30mm off a T-3 you could try (not sure if they would mount), or contact Amboman. He may have Eldorado carbs in his stock.

If you swapped the carbs left to right and it's still not running on the right side, then it doesn't sound like a carburetor issue to me.

The "olive drab" floats start out as grey when new and turn color after prolonged exposure to fuel.

If you swapped the carbs left to right and it's still not running on the right side, then it doesn't sound like a carburetor issue to me.

The "olive drab" floats start out as grey when new and turn color after prolonged exposure to fuel.
I've swapped some of the internals with no luck so why not try the whole unit to either rule it in or out once and for all.

I swapped the carbs and the right side came alive. I then swapped the slides and choke pistons separately with no change to rule out each of those so it appears that the right carb is bad afterall.

Thanks to Amboman for referring me to Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics. Mark and I talked it thru and he nailed the problem. I had a main jet in the idle jet position which seems really obvious in hindsight.
Easy to do on the square slide carbs. The round slide the thread sizes are different, pilot 5mm, mains 6mm.

The Guzzi VHBs are the only ones that the idle and main jets are the same size. This is because they're the only VHBs with accelerator pumps built into the main jet assembly. On all the other VHBs, the main jet screws into the "bolt" that holds the float bowl on.

Back