• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Red Line 20W60 or 10W60 for an 8V engine?

Greyo

Cruisin' Guzzisti
ferdi said:
MG demands a 10W60
I know, but my understanding is that what is really crucial here is the high-temp spec, not so much the cold-temp one... of course, if you were based in Scandinavia or thereabouts it would be a different story...

BTW, history teaches that blindly obeying all of MG "demands" might not always be the best thing to do :whistle:

I don't think you would go wrong with brand or weight. For the record I bought Agip 10w-60. In all fairness I had to mail order oil to get ??w-60 so I just went with Agip.

I am one of the Redline 10W60 users.

Our local Redline store doesn’t carry the 20W60. I won’t hesitate using it if it is available on the shelves and priced like the 10W60.

I use Redline motorcycle oil (10W40) in my other bike and it is more expensive than the 10W60 per quart.

Phang

oil.jpg

If the manfacturer recommends "X" why would you want to use "Y"?

I don't understand this line of thinking! :eek:

roofus said:

At the time the 10W60 recommendation came out, that was probably all that was available, and AGIP was about the only maker. As products improve the manufactures don't necessarily rethink their original specification. If the reason for 10W 60, was to have the 60 weight for heat resistance, the 20W60 would be less likely to loose viscosity than the 10W60, and would therefore be more resistant to breakdown when hot.

roofus said:
And, apparently, you didn't even bother to read the other posts above :huh:

Anybody who is familiar with Guzzi bikes knows that blindly obeying all MG recommendations can sometimes lead to rather "unpleasant" results...

Greyo said:
roofus said:

Anybody who is familiar with Guzzi bikes knows that blindly obeying all MG recommendations can sometimes lead to rather "unpleasant" results...

Ooooo! Somebody didn't get any last night! :p

john zibell said:
roofus said:

At the time the 10W60 recommendation came out, that was probably all that was available, and AGIP was about the only maker. As products improve the manufactures don't necessarily rethink their original specification. If the reason for 10W 60, was to have the 60 weight for heat resistance, the 20W60 would be less likely to loose viscosity than the 10W60, and would therefore be more resistant to breakdown when hot.

Thanks for clarifying the problem John!

roofus said:
Greyo said:
roofus said:

Ooooo! Somebody didn't get any last night! :p
Mmmh, let me guess... you must be one of those dudes who, in their own mind, are never wrong :mrgreen:

I bought a case of the Agip in 2010 from Refined Performance (RP) Motorsports (great deal too). Time to reorder, but RPM doesn't seem to have a web presence anymore. Any leads on a replacement vendor?

...but...dumb question warning...exactly how much do you put in?...My concern is overfilling.....

gdp said:
...but...dumb question warning...exactly how much do you put in?...My concern is overfilling.....

Less than the specification in the manual. Try to get the oil level half way between the full and add marks. The amount will vary a little from model to model.

nikwax said:
yee hah, an oil thread, and the insults start on the first page. Classic.
Insults? Au contraire, I thought roofus and I had a rather civilized exchange :cheer:

Mi_ka said:
...but I thought we 've already figured out on the other oil thread that the best olive oil is Greek of course! :lol:
Mmmmh... allright, I'll give you that, as long as you accept that the best wine is Italian :mrgreen:

Back