• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

stelvio drama

Kennydee56

Just got it firing!
hi i have a white stelvio P058AVE does anyone have any info on this bike . any help would be nice , non starter . runs for 10 mins cuts out . three garages later one new ecu know won't run under 5000 rpm without trouble had it dynoed looks bad running very lean possible electrical fault !!!!! loom they say . had bike 8 months only ran good for 3 weeks any ideas please

Tons of info here, spend some time looking around. Problems like this are almost impossible to diagnose here, unless you are willing and capable of digging into it yourself. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Grounds are a bit of a problem on the Stelvio. In my case the battery leaked onto the starter cover standoff bolt and deteriorated the integrity of the metal and it crumbled. Also, sometimes if you undo the screw to remove the cover so the oil can be added it can loosen the same bolt. Check all grounds first.

As already stated, will be difficult to diagnose since electrical issues can be hard to track down and then sometimes it turns out that it is not even electrical.

When you say it is hard to keep running under 5000 RPM, what do you mean by that. Does it just stall on its own, or does it stall once you try and give it some gas?

How may miles on the bike?

Does it start ok and then once warmed up starts to give issues?

Have you had the TPS reset or do you know what value the TPS is currently stating?

Are there any codes in the system, or does the service light come on at all during the running?

When it does run, what does it sound like. Does it sound like it is reving up and down at idle, or does it idle smoothly. Does it sound like it is running on one cylinder??

From what you have said, it does not sound like a wiring loom issue. Usually with those, it either runs or does not run or at a minimum throws a fault code.

How does the engine sound. Any loud knocking (other than normal Guzzi sounds)

Here is where I would start:

Electrical

You said you had the ECU replace, but did they check the ECU plugs. On your year they were known for water ingress into the ECU since the connectors were facing up. I would full the ECU connectors and give them a good spraying of Electrical contact cleaner and then blow them out with compressed air. Possible there may be some corrosion in there but you should be able to see it.

Pull both spark plug boots and inspect them for damage. If they are the original boots (will have a 90 degree connector) see if there are white marks on the boot. This is an indication that they are shorting out. If there are white marks or holes, tape them up with electrical tape and try again. If they have been replaced with NGK boots then you should be ok.

Check both coil plugs and make sure they are secure (other end of the spark plug wire). They have a tendency to become loose.

Check all grounds including the ground wire to the ecu. This includes the battery and the ground to the chassis from the battery (near the starter). Also check the positive on the battery to make sure it is tight.

Possible phase sensor failure. Fits some of the symptoms but only way to test is to replace.

TPS unit: Do you know what value it is reading and does the value go up smoothly when you turn the throttle. For this you will need software to test.

Fuel (my gut feel this is where your issue lies, but just my gut feel for now)

Check to make sure your tank is venting. Very easy to do, run the bike with the gas cap open, if it fixes the problem, venting is the issue.

Fuel line crimped. For this you will need to pull the tank. See if the fuel line is bent where it comes out of the tank. Just found this issue on a friends bike. Symptoms were a little different, but the same outcome. Poor running. I don't think you have a pump issue as you said it runs at higher RPM. You can test the fuel flow by removing an injector from the TB and then take the injector out of its holder. Then turn the key on. It should shoot a good amount of fuel out under pressure. If it just dribbles out, you may have a kinked line.

Plugged injectors. If the bike has been sitting, very possible the injectors are plugged. Only way to test is to remove the injectors and test fire. You will need software to do this. You can try and put some injector cleaner in the fuel but that will take some time to work through. You can also soak the end of the injector in cleaner. Short of have them professionally cleaned, not much you can do.

Air

Make sure your air filter is clean and not plugged. This includes the inlet to the box.

Do a search on sacred screw, I hope someone has not messed with the left side TB adjuster. It will have yellow paint on it and should have a tampering make on it. Usually it is tack soldered to the adjuster plate. If this has been moved it will be a difficult road.

Ok, I know this is a lot, but it is basically the starting point for most Stelvio Issues. The more information you can provide on what it is doing, the more likely we will be able to help. If you don't have the right tools to do it it will be difficult, but at least it may give your shop some more information to go on. The software tools are also easy to come by and relatively inexpensive. You will need them anyways if you plan on doing your own maintenance down the road.

Hi he is the dyno sheets

Attachments

• IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi he is the dyno sheets
:eek:
Scary stuff. That dotted red line on the bottom of the air fuel graph is the target. Your bike is so lean, I'm surprised the dyno operator even ran it after just one pull. Start with all of the fuel system. Filter in the tank, lines, injector age and/or professionally cleaned any time recently? I can fix the fueling for you as long as the bike is otherwise 100%.

Those are definetly some pretty lean numbers. The stock stelvio is pretty lean but I think those are in the danger territory. Todd is your expert when it comes to fueling.

Do you have any history of the mapping on the bike.

Is the air box and muffler stock. Is there any sign of fueling mods.

There seems to be no control. I wonder if this previously had a fueling kit and someone striped it before selling or put on some crazy static map.

Asked the shop if they put the stock map on the new ecu or just copied the old one. If they did put on stock what stock map. It will depend if it has been rollerized or not. Something is definetly not right there and my gut was right. Something is wrong with the fueling.

Those are definetly some pretty lean numbers. The stock stelvio is pretty lean but I think those are in the danger territory. Todd is your expert when it comes to fueling.

Do you have any history of the mapping on the bike.

Is the air box and muffler stock. Is there any sign of fueling mods.

There seems to be no control. I wonder if this previously had a fueling kit and someone striped it before selling or put on some crazy static map.

Asked the shop if they put the stock map on the new ecu or just copied the old one. If they did put on stock what stock map. It will depend if it has been rollerized or not. Something is definetly not right there and my gut was right. Something is wrong with the fueling.
Hi it a brand new Ecu from guzzi after they put it on they checked map and said it's up to date for flat cam not rollers . And showing no errors. Will strip it back and check fuel lines .it has quill end can ,air box looks standard.

Hi it a brand new Ecu from guzzi after they put it on they checked map and said it's up to date for flat cam not rollers . And showing no errors. Will strip it back and check fuel lines .it has quill end can ,air box looks standard.

OK, good news on the ECU. At least you are starting with a stock map with no errors so it will be easier to find the problem. Start with the fuel system. Trace the entire fuel line from the tank to both injectors. I don't suspect the fuel filter or pump at this point as you said it does run at higher fuel loading. That is when they would show an issue.

I don't have any experience with Quill Exhausts, but their web site seems to indicate no fueling changes needed and runs like stock. Not saying that it could not benefit from some changes in fueling with the new exhaust, but it should not cause the problems you are having.

Did they inspect the tappets by any chance. To have problems you are having they would be knocking like mad but none the less, they will most likely need to be changed at some point.

Did they set the valves and balance the Throttle bodies for you. If they set the valves incorrectly it would cause these issues (ie. at wrong TDC). Has happened before, even at the dealer level. There are good instructions here on how to check it if you are able to.

Keep us posted.

Hi been a while but my stelvio back up and running great ,550 miles this weekend no problems. Many thanks to all replays on here .How don't know really . Changed fuel pump ,lines ,and injectors . Two coils then tired it up bingo . It says 37 mpg is that about normal .

The Dash mpg is not very accurate.
Keep a record of the Fuel you put in, and the mileage you do, and work it out from there.
I've been doing this since I got mine (Sep '15), and I'm getting around 42mpg (UK) average.

The Dash mpg is not very accurate.
Keep a record of the Fuel you put in, and the mileage you do, and work it out from there.
I've been doing this since I got mine (Sep '15), and I'm getting around 42mpg (UK) average.

For what it is worth, If you have a smart phone or even a computer, I recommend the fuelly app to help keep track of your mileage.

http://www.fuelly.com/

-Scott

Hi...pleased your all sorted...I've got your bikes brother...lol...just wondered were the in- let guards on it when you got bike as I would like some the same...I've never seen any to buy ?

Back