• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

tick tick tick

Cam chain possible but unlikely with that little miles on the bike. It is possible that the hydraulic adjuster on the left cylinder is passing but against n would be the first I have heard of that wearing that quickly.

Penny in a can sounds like a cam but the fact that it comes and goes and flips side to side does not fit the diagnosis. Could also just be an adjuster that backed off on the rockers. Did they actually pull the covers off or just guess.

See if you can confirm that the sound is actually coming from the Valves. Screwdriver to the valve cover and then your ear will work. Do the same on the gear box, the bell housing and also the front of the engine where the alternator belt is. You will pin point the sound other than guessing.

Recheck the clearance and see where they are. See if you can upload the sounds to you tube and then post a link. Other way is to change the file extension name to .pdf and then upload it to a reply. Just tell us what the extension is supposed to be and then we can download it and change it. That should work.

Just back from an independent Guzzi workshop. The sound is clutch\transmission related. Unfortunately the mechanic hadn't a great deal of experience dealing with the new six speed gearboxes. I am heading up to a larger dealership tomorrow, hopefully to get some definite answers.
Just for laughs, the sound files are attached here. They've been renamed as .PDF; they were originally .3GP

Attachments

• Voice00001.pdf
    464.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Voice00002.pdf
    454.6 KB · Views: 16
Does the sound change with engagement and dis-engagement of the clutch. Is the oil level up in the gearbox. Hard to tell which sound it actually the issue (hell its a Guzzi !!!).

The deep thud sounds like cams but could also be normal Guzzi since I don't know where the sound is originating from. The tin canny sound does not sound gearbox, unless you have something rattling around in there. Sounds more valve train ticking. Gearbox is usually more of a sharp/high pitched thud. There is a possibility of a clutch spring broken off (or clutch actually coming apart) as that has happened before on rare occasions. Any change in clutch pull. A quick look with a bore scope will tell you.

Again, you are dealing with a bike with not that many miles. Those sounds range from completely normal for a Guzzi given the time of day, temperature, phase of the moon and whether your neighbors cat crapped on your lawn, to a pending issue. I am siding with the first choice, but without seeing and hearing it in person it will be hard to diagnose.

Perhaps when you check the clearances this weekend you may find something.

Have you been to Baldrick?

Ha! I luckily stumbled across Baldrick's website; otherwise I may have thought you're taking the piss!
Not been to see him yet; I have another local Guzzi man, but will give him a call as well.

I changed the oil on the weekend... Seems to be a lot smoother, and the noises seem more like they should be.

On a sideline, the manual specifies 3500 cubic centimeters; I assume this isn't exactly 3.5 litres? Shall I use the dipstick as the guide (there are 3 litres in at the minute, and the oil level is in the middle), or should i add another 500ml?

Lastly, has anyone else experienced a dipstick that gets stuck, and needs serious force to pull out?

Well....since the oil changed the sound it is a good thing since it means it is not gearbox or clutch related. Now just need to make sure there is still not an issue with the cams or tappets. Keep riding and see if the sound comes back. If there is damage, it will only get louder.

Did you check the valve gaps. What are they set at? For your year, they should be set at 4 thou intake and 6 thou exhaust (0.1 and 0.15 mm). If they are set to the wider gaps of 6 and 8 thou (which is not an issue, but in my opinion isn't really necessary :think:), it will tend to make more noise.

Ongoing saga.

Bike has been to two dealers who said without much inspection that the cams were on the way out. Took the bike to Baldrick, who advised setting the clearances at .2 & .15

I've covered another 600mi since, and checked the clearances again. Left was in spec, right was out by .05. (When they were previously set, the bike wasn't overnight cold - wondering if this might affect the result of checking this morning after the bike spent the night at near freezing...)

I had just about abandoned this post as I appreciate I've been ridiculously paranoid... Bottom line is I'm using the bike daily and the symptoms aren't worsening. (there's a part of me that feels silly for freaking out about any little noise!)

Still, there is an intermittent rattle, sometimes quite rapid, other times not. It's there at deceleration, from +-3000RPM to idle. Sometimes it goes when the clutch is engaged, other times not! Diagnose that!

Just for the spirit of a forum, I will revert once new discoveries/verdicts are reached. If anyone wants to chime in, it would be appreciated!

Took bike to two mechanics yesterday. The first identified the clicking noise as a slack cam chain. The second suggested that it may be something more severe.

After riding for a few minutes the bike started making a penny-rattling-in-a-tin-can sound (as it has done on occasion over the past month or so.) This isn't constant, and wasn't present this morning. I rode approximately 100mi yesterday, with noises coming and going, and no other symptoms.

The strange thing is that sometimes the noise seems to be coming from the right, sometimes from the left. I will change the oil and check the clearances this weekend. Then do TPS etc as well. I've recorded the sound, but can't seem to upload them here.

My engine did this very thing. Sometimes it would tap louder than others. Also, sometimes when hot after a long highway cruise at speed I would stop to get fuel and when I would hit the start button it would sneeze through the intake. It would run fine and never left me stranded. My theory on the inconsistent behavior I believe was due to rotational issues with the lifter itself. As it got hotter it was less likely to rotate. Looking at the damage confirms that in my mind.

I have posted in much older threads asking similar questions only to hear from the community "atsanottanoise" get some earplugs.

Last edited:
Back