• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Two Silly Questions - Brand new Mandello

Ziggy49

Just got it firing!
Just bought a '24 Mandello S:

Two things I wonder about.

When I downshift, I often hear a sound sort of like a 'cowbell'. Seems likes it's perhaps backfiring in the muffler system?
Both the demo bike I rode and the one I bought did/do it.
Normal??? Anyone else's do the same???

Takes a long time, a couple of miles perhaps, before the tire pressure monitor system wakes up and shows pressure values, and the dash warning light goes out.

All for now...
Thanks!

I am a guitar player, and have played with many drummers, but haven’t heard a cowbell sound out of my V100S yet😂… But, it might be exhaust note related. Mine does pop on deceleration - but, in a good way😉. My TPM does take a few miles sometimes. Seems to take longer when I’ve been riding, and take a break, and fire it up again. May be my imagination. I have almost 6K miles, and it’s the same as when new… so, nothing getting worse. I’ll be curious to see if anything changes after new tires - I don’t “expect” it to😁.

Yes it seems to take up to a minute before the tire pressure is shown in the display.
On my bike there is often a delay between front and rear tire value is presented.
So your bike is behaving normal.
Don’t know what you mean with the sound though, can’t relate to it more than been said about the potential backfiring in the muffler.

maybe is it the blipper? engine revs up a little to help downshifting

My TPMS takes a few miles to register once I get going…though I have a continuing issue where it never reads the pressure in the tires (maybe 1/3 times) unless I turn the bike off and restart it. Dealer hasn’t been able to figure it out.

Not to be a broken record but again, my V100 doesn’t exhibit any of these issues.

Are you guys waiting for your dash to completely cycle up BEFORE starting the motorcycle?

I always do snd never have any issue.

Even my cruise control works exactly as designed. I love it.

Another Question: Quickshifter DOWN.
Do you close the throttle before downshifting using the quickshifter, or leave the throttle where it is. Seems kind of harsh going down.
Thanks.

Just bought a '24 Mandello S:

Two things I wonder about.

When I downshift, I often hear a sound sort of like a 'cowbell'. Seems likes it's perhaps backfiring in the muffler system?
Both the demo bike I rode and the one I bought did/do it.

Takes a long time, a couple of miles perhaps, before the tire pressure monitor system wakes up and shows pressure values, and the dash warning light goes out.

All for now...
Thanks!
I get the cowbell sound! More of a tuneful rattle and I thought it was coming from the shaft drive? Never owned a shaftie until now so have no idea what classes as 'normal' but have had enough Aprilias to know that anything can be classed as normal...

Close the throttle for downshifts, open the throttle for upshifts.
You need to match engine speed to ground speed. So when downshifting, raise the engine rpm to match ground speed, then roll off the throttle once shift is completed. Roll off throttle on upshift, then roll on when in next higher gear. The smoother you shift the better.

I completely agree John.

It’s on my V100S Mandello and I’m totally unimpressed.

The stresses placed upon the gearbox are extremely violent. I don’t care what they say.

No matter how I try to shift with that, it is way too harsh for my taste and using the clutch is so simple and easy.

Compared to the clutch pull on my V-10 Centauro, the V100 is child’s play.

I completely agree John.

It’s on my V100S Mandello and I’m totally unimpressed.

The stresses placed upon the gearbox are extremely violent. I don’t care what they say.

No matter how I try to shift with that, it is way too harsh for my taste and using the clutch is so simple and easy.

Compared to the clutch pull on my V-10 Centauro, the V100 is child’s play.
If people don't want to learn how to properly shift with a clutch, they should get a Hondamatic!

If people don't want to learn how to properly shift with a clutch, they should get a Hondamatic!
Some people know how to shift properly, whether they use the clutch, or use a quickshifter. :)
Most of my bikes don't have a quickshifter, but I have no problems using the ones that do. Some are better than others, but the one on my V100S isn't too bad. Like using a clutch, it's a matter of using it correctly, and under the appropriate circumstances.

Some people know how to shift properly, whether they use the clutch, or use a quickshifter. :)
Most of my bikes don't have a quickshifter, but I have no problems using the ones that do. Some are better than others, but the one on my V100S isn't too bad. Like using a clutch, it's a matter of using it correctly, and under the appropriate circumstances.

Agree with this - the better your clutch control is, the more fun you can have with a quickshifter. The V100 seems pretty smooth so far, up and down, but she's in for the first service tomorrow - will let you know how well it works in the higher rev range (although I may have tested it a little bit...)

To presume that we (John & I) don’t know how to properly operate a motorcycle, after a lifetime of riding and wrenching and racing motorcycles, is extremely unkind.

It’s very likely that we were both riding when you weren’t even born yet.

If I am in the twisties or on any track, you had better be one heck of a rider to ride in my draft on any of my 18 motorcycles, grey hair and beard notwithstanding.

The unit is harsh on the V100S. It just is and using the actual clutch requires next to no effort yet affords a million times less stress on the gearbox.

Last edited:
To presume that we (John & I) don’t know how to properly operate a motorcycle, after a lifetime of riding and wrenching and racing motorcycles, is extremely unkind.

It’s very likely that we were both riding when you weren’t even born yet.

If I am in the twisties or on any track, you had better be one heck of a rider to ride in my draft on any of my 18 motorcycles, grey hair and beard notwithstanding.

The unit is harsh on the V100S. It just is and using the actual clutch requires next to no effort yet affords a million times less stress on the gearbox.
Maybe your V100s has a dodgy quick shifter ? Still, at least it doesn`t steer to the left so its not all bad hey.

No, I have ridden several motorcycles with them, especially race motorcycles, and I even have a quick shifter on my Ducati Multistrada and it is infinitely smoother than the V100 version.

Let’s cut to the chase, because quick shifters evolved from racing, where a tenth of a second separates podium finishers.

They are unnecessary “bling” on a road going motorcycle.

They really serve no functional purpose.

I will choose to preserve the gearbox on my V100 so I will continue to working on my technique to “shift properly”. 😆

I`m not a fan of quick shifters although I do sometimes like to use clutchless up changes on my bikes. In fact I find it is often smoother than changing up with the clutch in use .

Good luck with your self help gear change sessions and I look forward to reading if/when you have a Eureka Moment ! I`m guessing you`ve been riding circa 50 years, you should have the hang of it in another 50.

For the avoidance of doubt, I`m British, that is British humor or as we spell it , humour. I`m not having a pop.

Back