• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Update on factory heated grips

uzidzit

Cruisin' Guzzisti
On the 2012 ntx abs Stelvio, you can turn the heated grips on and off and adjust the heat, stopped, in gear , out of gear, or doing 100 down the road, makes no difference. Just thought you might like to know. I did a cannisterectomy, grip install, flashed ecu, pcv, and autotune yesterday and made this discovery last night at midnight during the shakedown run.

The factory units are so low in power that I just leave them on full from say October to March.............then have to read the book again to figure out how to switch off :D

Campagman said:
then have to read the book again to figure out how to switch off :D

And on the old model you have to pull over. Put the bike in neutral. Get off the bike and set 12 lit candles around the bike. Get down on your knees and pray to Carlo Guzzi. Then hope the dashboard allows you to change the heat settings on the grips.
:roll:
Not being able to set the heat while moving is extremely bizarre.

BTW, I use after market foil heaters under the grips and they get HOT. As in, if you us the high heat setting and aren't wearing really heavy gloves, you are going to be in pain from the heat.

Wayne Orwig said:
Campagman said:
then have to read the book again to figure out how to switch off :D

Not being able to set the heat while moving is extremely bizarre.

That's probably one of those "driving distractions" like GPSs and texting that we hear so much about. Guzzi was just engineering a safety feature into the system! ;)

Lannis

Good to know about the control function on the new NTX. I'm thinking of going with Oxford grips on mine. Any feedback on the best heated grips other than factory ones. I've seen the factory grips on other bikes and the material seems to break down and wear faster than I'd like. Any experience or advice?

Thanks!

azguzzintx said:
Good to know about the control function on the new NTX. I'm thinking of going with Oxford grips on mine. Any feedback on the best heated grips other than factory ones. I've seen the factory grips on other bikes and the material seems to break down and wear faster than I'd like. Any experience or advice?

Thanks!

Az, I've had the Oxford heated grips on another bike and they are heavy duty in all aspects. The high setting is only for the initial grip warm up or when it's just really cold out. I'm in the process of installing the factory recommended grips on my very fast Orange Stelvio and they seem more fragile than the Oxfords. The electrical connections are not sealed and the supply wiring is lighter. Because they are specific to the Guzzi, you replace the grip and throttle tube on the right side.

If/when the factory recommended ones go out, I'll definitely go with the Oxfords.

Good luck in...Arizona or Texas?

Oxford on mine. Can even feel the lowest setting in coldest weather. They are heavy duty in every respect including the very well protected wiring. Comfortable altho there are two different styles and the one style some people complain about. Mine are great. And, at the time I got mine the factory grips were being sold for a robber baron's price. Mine were, like, $80 the pair.
Found a blurry pic
IMG_1372.jpg

I have had oxfords, as well, there is a set on my vfr right now with the classic oxford Failure, the heat controller dies and they will not turn off and only run on high (that will strand you really damn quick if they are not on switched power). :angry: At least you can use an aftermarket controller. I really hated that for the longest time they would not sell the controller as a spare. (I have a few sets of grips but no currently functioning controllers (oxford controllers that is)

Gerbing permanent heat controller is much more durable than the oxford (at least the dial type any way), and works great as a temp controller for oxford grips (be careful it will melt them).

The guzzi grips may turn out to be more fragile I am not sure, but the heat range is nice, and mine get hot enough to ride in the high twenties. The up side is because of how they mount they are the most even heat left to right heat I have ever had on a bike. (The Oxford grips themselves are great, controllers not so much)

PS you did fill the connectors with dielectric grease when ya plugged them up...Right, say yes :roll:
Just posted to let every one know, the neat feature of the factory controller is it remembers its setting, so if you stop to get gas etc., when ya start the bike again they come back on and at the setting you had them on. And the push button switch on the left grip is very well placed.

Wayne Orwig said:
uzidzit said:
PS you did fill the connectors with dielectric grease when ya plugged them up...Right, say yes :roll:

I hope not.
http://tinyurl.com/d4k9wp7

Connector Lubricant, we deal with of an amazing array of connectors in pet ct and mri scanners.
The tin plated connectors and raw brass connectors in automotive applications, have very low cycle lives (tin plated are only meant to be cycled 5-10 times in their lifetimes) and Brass connectors are only designed with 15-30 cycle lives!
I ran temperature studies on current carrying connectors for work and connectors last longer and generally run cooler with pin lubricant in our testing anyway. (you must be very careful with quantities of lube on gold high pin count connectors) the biggest issue in a negative way, we have seen is over lubed connectors bleeding lube on to circuit boards. With very high frequency /and or voltage, dust build up makes a propagation path when it has stuck to surfaces which can disrupt very small signal currents. (it will extend the cycle life of less expensive connectors)

I have not seen any difference in fatigue testing of the strain relief qualities with or without lubes, there can be migration in the wire, but in our tests it only generated a problem when the lubricant was corrosive or degraded in to non neutral products. (it will greatly interfere with soldering later)

Nye lubricants These people make some very good synthetic lubricants for connectors

Nye connector lubricants: overview
http://www.nyelubricants.com/_pdf/liter ... nector.pdf

Nye Lubricant co.
http://www.nyelubricants.com/applicatio ... tors.shtml

Back