• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 saddlebags note and warning!

I'm the one that started this post when I lost my left saddlebag on the first run. Having looked at the system carefully since then, I think that it was my fault that they weren't locked in properly. The mounting could be eaier to implement though. Having said that, I think that the blame lies with MG for not providing any documentation on how to fit the bags. They should have included a section in the owner's manual. I am still waiting for replacements. Dealer tells me should be in by end of July (Canada).
I believe you are correct in your assessment, and absolutely right that MG should provide some very detailed information as to mounting and securing the panniers. At $850 this is not a small investment. I hope you get the replacement soon.

Be careful if you ordered saddlebags with your V100. Didn't come with any instructions. You have to take rear passenger seat off, then push the hangers into the square holes and give the bags a hard push forward to lock into the rails. Then reinstall the rear seat to positively lock the bags on. Was very careful and checked to see if bags were secured by ushing and pulling on them. Everything seemed good. Second day with bike, went for a 100 mi ride. Got home and left bag was missing. Didn't hear it come off. Reran the route consisting of ravines, deep ditches and forests but couldn't find it. Am told there aren't any more in North America and I will have to wait till July to get a new set (at cost). Heartbroken.
Sorry for your loss. I have these bags and they are very hard to push all the way forward to insure they are locked. The problem seems to be the alignment of the black bracket with the rubber block mounted on the on the passenger peg - going into the slot on the bag. I had to pull that bracket and rubber block outwards to allow it to slide into the slot on the bag. If I planned to remove the bags more often I would put that black metal bracket into a vise and bend it out ever so slightly.

Sorry for your loss. I have these bags and they are very hard to push all the way forward to insure they are locked. The problem seems to be the alignment of the black bracket with the rubber block mounted on the on the passenger peg - going into the slot on the bag. I had to pull that bracket and rubber block outwards to allow it to slide into the slot on the bag. If I planned to remove the bags more often I would put that black metal bracket into a vise and bend it out ever so slightly.
MG may have designed it that way (tight fit) so there is minimum movement while riding?

Sounds very similar to the mounting system on my Norge…
I thought the same thing! Three connection points… slide forward. I fortunately never had a problem with the Norge bags. Hope to continue that with the V. 😉

I thought the same thing! Three connection points… slide forward. I fortunately never had a problem with the Norge bags. Hope to continue that with the V. 😉
Check out post #17 and there will be no problems!

Sounds very similar to the mounting system on my Norge. The low side on the side stand (left) is very difficult to mount. If it's on the center stand it is very easy.
I don't know how the Norge bags mount, check out post #17, this is how V100 bags are securely mounted.....

Reactions: BDS
I don't know how the Norge bags mount, check out post #17, this is how V100 bags are securely mounted.....
Thx… yes, I have read your nice write up (referred to it a couple times, for comparison to how the dealer tech mounted mine). I’ve not had an issue yet🤞. Thx for posting for everyone. The Norge is similar only in that it has two main connectors up by the seat, that need to slide forward, and lock into little security pins at the front of the bags (which are similar in position to the front brackets on the Mandello). But, the Mandello design with the “under seat” lock in, handles the connection differently. I think the Mandello design allows for a nice clean appearance, if riding without bags👍😁. I hope all the plastic parts hold up over time. Cheers.

Thx… yes, I have read your nice write up (referred to it a couple times, for comparison to how the dealer tech mounted mine). I’ve not had an issue yet🤞. Thx for posting for everyone. The Norge is similar only in that it has two main connectors up by the seat, that need to slide forward, and lock into little security pins at the front of the bags (which are similar in position to the front brackets on the Mandello). But, the Mandello design with the “under seat” lock in, handles the connection differently. I think the Mandello design allows for a nice clean appearance, if riding without bags👍😁. I hope all the plastic parts hold up over time. Cheers.
I hope they hold up also. If I am taking a shorter ride I leave them off. They are such a tight fit I would think they should hold up a long time, but only time will tell. And you're right, a very clean look with them off, or on! Maybe Guzzi could take my little write up and revise the Use and Maintenance Book and, add make sure to include instructions with every pair of bags, with detailed instructions and large enough images to actually see.... Thanks.

Thanks for the mounting information, but I have an issue just getting the dam things build. The locks are weird and I think might need some macgivering but wanted to check if the issue I'm having ins "normal".
No matter how I mount the locks the key appears to only be removalble when the panniers are close as when open the mechanism cannot rotate far enough , unless you add an additional washer to raise the mechanism to clear internals OR is it meant to be that way?

Thanks for the mounting information, but I have an issue just getting the dam things build. The locks are weird and I think might need some macgivering but wanted to check if the issue I'm having ins "normal".
No matter how I mount the locks the key appears to only be removalble when the panniers are close as when open the mechanism cannot rotate far enough , unless you add an additional washer to raise the mechanism to clear internals OR is it meant to be that way?
If they are like the panniers and travel trunks on my V85TT and all of the BMWs I have owned, the key can only be removed when the latch is in the closed position.

For me to remove the key from the lock, they have to be in the locked position. I believe they are this way as a fail safe so the latches are closed, in adition to the locks in the latched/locked position. Mine were set up this way from the dealer when I picked up the bike.

I finally got around to addressing the desire for a redundant safety lock for the side cases on the V100. Two 3/16" marine-stainless steel safety coupler pins
here (cost around $11), masking tape, a Sharpie, a sharp 3/16" drill, and 20 minutes time, and there's a fail-safe method for securing bags.

Remove the bags, put a piece of masking tape around the outer locating tab of the slot that engages the rubber block behind the passenger peg.

Remove the rubber block (just pull up and wiggle free). Replace the bags fully forward in their travel position. Use the Sharpie from the inside through the square hole in the steel bag support to mark the tape thoroughly, concentrating on the lower forward part of the square hole. (The retainer for the rubber block engages at the upper edge of the square hole in the steel, so I chose to avoid that.)
Remove the bags without disturbing the tape, center punch the tape mark, allowing for the diameter of the 3/16" drill bit. Carefully drill through that outer tab on the bag.
Replace the rubber on the bag support, re-mount the bag fully (if in doubt, put the pillion back on!) Then use the hole in the bag to guide your drill completely through the rubber block.
Remove the bags and run the drill back and forth through the rubber block a few times to slightly enlarge the hole. A speck of silicone grease on the pins allows them to glide through the rubber much easier. I also beveled the ends of the safety pins on a bench grinder for easier insertion through the rubber. The safety pins can be installed with the spring bail either up or down, your preference.

Job complete, installing/removing the pins takes an extra 3 seconds per side. Though the spring bails are loose, I can near NO metallic vibration noise over the sound of the exhaust and engine top end whine.

20230704 130524 20230704 130607 20230704 130626 20230704 130738 20230704 130825 20230704 130924 20230704 131230

Now, if you fail to mount the bags fully forward, the safety pins failure to engage are a tell-tale alert to the problem. And if heavy vibration or bumps should somehow defeat the molded plastic retention system Guzzi intended, there is a redundant retention mechanism to prevent backward migration of the bags.

Last edited:
Indy - My bags came in at Cadre yesterday. There were 8 or 10 sets in the shipment. Not sure if they are all spoken for, or if a set may yours?🤔
I noticed your bike when I stopped in the day you were to pick your bike back up! Did you hear about my cracked fuel tank? SHEEZ! Another long story. Once again, however, our friends at Cadre were able to replace the tank quickly. Only a couple of days. Tigers crossed I'll have no more issues!!

• Wow
I noticed your bike when I stopped in the day you were to pick your bike back up! Did you hear about my cracked fuel tank? SHEEZ! Another long story. Once again, however, our friends at Cadre were able to replace the tank quickly. Only a couple of days. Tigers crossed I'll have no more issues!!
What?! Nooo… I hadn’t got that info! I hope it didn’t leak gas all over! Glad Enzo got it sorted quickly. That’s a first glitch of that type that I’ve heard of. Hope you’re well! I’ll text ya👍😁.

I finally got my sidecases...picked them up from the dealer yesterday. Based on comments posted by others, I was surprised to see instructions included! I did not see them in the forum downloads so I will scan and post there. I havent looked at them thoroughly so I cant comment on adequacy, but there were diagrams and stuff... I will certainly review these threads again and make sure I get them on securely! My bike's jerking throttle issue resurfaced so it is in the shop again, so I cant mount the cases until I get it back. I opted not to have the dealer install them while they have the bike.

I just put the factory bags on and I can see that you might be able to put the third point brackets on the wrong side, they bend in when looking top down. I didn't do it but it could be possible. The bags slide in firmly but it seems that the passenger seat "spikes" hold the front mounts firmly as well. I like that the mounts are almost invisible with the bags off. I noted that the bag mounting assembly is held in place by nine small screws (the front lower bracket by four of the same) so that explains the limited weight capacity. I don't think these are really designed to take on and off frequently, I'm going to leave them on, I have some liner bags from a previous BMW. Having another key is also a bit of a pain but I've been spoiled by the bags on my K1600GT. All in all, they look good, fit well and should be just fine (I'll let you know if they fall off today!). Also put on the medium screen, the bottom engine case protector (doesn't come up as high as I thought it would) and the center stand. It is much easier to put the stand on with some help. IMG 1155

Rode 200 miles, no issues and they did not leak in a massive thunderstorm. As a plus, they keep me from blundering into the rear turn signals. The screen is obviously better than the small one and in rain mode with the wings I stayed fairly dry up top.

Back