• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V100 throttle question

Stirling

Tuned and Synch'ed
I took my new V100 for my first extended ride yesterday and was experiencing engine hunting/jerking while holding the throttle stable (not under load or engine breaking). I was most pronounced/irritating in the 30-40mph range, no matter what gear or mode I was in. I could detect only a trace at freeway speed since I was otherwise sensitive to it. In neutral (stopped) I can twist the throttle a few degrees (sprung, there is no freeplay) without increasing revs. I have no experience with throttle by wire and havent had a sport bike in a while so not sure if it is normal or ?
Also, while engine braking a couple times it back fired which is something I wasnt expecting from a new stock bike.

I think what you experienced was deceleration pop. That is usually a sign of a fuelling issue. Lean condition. The surging may also be a result of this.

Not sure if this helps but on my Ducati Street fighter it has throttle by wire, had lots of slop, I bought some little rubber spacers, now my throttle feels normal like my V85TT.

I got a few pops out of my exhaust coming down some hills this afternoon. I think all the new bikes do this. It's related to the way they are tuned for emissions.

I had absolutely no issues with the throttle. Mine is incredibly smooth. The Mandello is far smoother than my Honda when going from no throttle to some throttle.

Surging is not good. It is an indication of improper fueling. I suggest you consult your dealer as the base map may have an issue. BMW oil heads had this issue which wasn't cured until they went to dual spark plugs as the factory mix was too lean.

Status: It is going into the dealer tomorrow AM. I was hoping that it was bad gas, but a fresh tank of gas did not help. Lousy mileage to boot... it is improper fueling for sure. Just hope the 400 miles I have put on it hasnt reduced life somehow. Trying to stay positive but a real sh**y feeling nonetheless.

Status: It is going into the dealer tomorrow AM. Trying to stay positive but a real sh**y feeling nonetheless.
Thanks for the post. If dealers would actually do the damn PDI that people pay dearly for, 95% of this type of frustration/bad word would be minimal and FAR better for the brand. But after 13 new Guzzi purchases since 2014, and fighting with dealers every time about this, clearly I'm the problem. ;)

If you give up on the dealer, we'd love to see one in my shop to go over it for you. I can't do ECU updates, but love to dig into one to see what can be done. Anxious to do so actually.

I'd already own one, but Piaggio brilliantly pulled the plug by serving me a Cease and Desist for this website (a few weeks before the V100 arrived), hence I'll never buy another new Guzzi unless someone else owns the brand.

I'd already own one, but Piaggio brilliantly pulled the plug by serving me a Cease and Desist for this website (a few weeks before the V100 arrived), hence I'll never buy another new Guzzi unless someone else owns the brand.
What the hell are they thinking, threatening you? How is Piaggio harmed by anything you do?

I've been watching some reviews and it seems a few reviewers have noticed the surging issue but only in sport mode. Are you using 91 or 93 octane?

Last edited:
I've been watching some reviews and it seems a few reviewers have noticed the surging issue but only in sport mode. Are you using 91 or 93 octane?
I am using 91 octane, major brands. Having gotten used to the bike I can say it is not my riding style. Cruising above 65 mph it is a "surge" issue where it feels like a wind buffet every 10-20 seconds or so. At 30-50, it is a solid jerking issue every 2-3 seconds. No difference in mode I am in. It is OK when the engine is cold but then starts acting up after warm up and cruising at relatively constant throttle.

I am using 91 octane, major brands. Having gotten used to the bike I can say it is not my riding style. Cruising above 65 mph it is a "surge" issue where it feels like a wind buffet every 10-20 seconds or so. At 30-50, it is a solid jerking issue every 2-3 seconds. No difference in mode I am in. It is OK when the engine is cold but then starts acting up after warm up and cruising at relatively constant throttle.
When the engine is cold, the mix is a little richer and leans out as the engine temperture increases. Be sure the dealer checks the actual temperature readings from the sensors and not just for a fault code. So long as a reading is given, a fault will not generate, so a sensor out of range could result in this surging. Not to say that is the issue, but it is a possibility that is often overlooked. Also with the compression ratio of this engine you would be better off using 93 octane fuel. Stick with top tier fuels as that will keep injectors cleaner.

I have been using non ethanol fuel with 91 Octane and the V100 has been doing great , it does have a little back fire on the over run .

High octane fuel for sure!!!
If I remember correctly the V100 has 12.6 to 1 compression...
That is high!! Also these engines are running on the lean side anyway to pass E5 emissions...
In Europe you still can get 98 octane on gas stations....
Don’t save money on the wrong end!

When the engine is cold, the mix is a little richer and leans out as the engine temperture increases. Be sure the dealer checks the actual temperature readings from the sensors and not just for a fault code. So long as a reading is given, a fault will not generate, so a sensor out of range could result in this surging. Not to say that is the issue, but it is a possibility that is often overlooked. Also with the compression ratio of this engine you would be better off using 93 octane fuel. Stick with top tier fuels as that will keep injectors cleaner.
Thanks for the input. I think it is a sensor....we'll hopefully find out today after I take it in.
Regarding fuel, I use the best readily available top tier, highest octane, major brand gas in my area. I was aware of the compression ratio and need for premium fuel before buying the bike (lord knows I read everything available twice while waiting for it to arrive!🤓). I wouldn't think of skimping. I dont see 93 octane in So Cal.

@john zibell - we probably touched on this over the years, highest you’ll ever see at the pump here in CA is 91, unless you're fortunate to find 100 unleaded (which hovers ~$10/gal). For more, start at 2:40…

@john zibell - we probably touched on this over the years, highest you’ll ever see at the pump here in CA is 91, unless you're fortunate to find 100 unleaded (which hovers ~$10/gal). For more, start at 2:40…

Just one of the many problems with California!! I remember that even in Massachusetts in the 1970s you could get 98 octane at some Sunoco stations. There is always 100 octane from an airfield.

Last edited:
Avgas is usually leaded fuel...
Killing O2 sensor...
Wouldn’t go that Route...

Back