• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Cafe Difficult to start when cold

JasonC

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
My 2010 V7 Cafe Classic is difficult to start when the engine is cold.

When the bike is warm it starts just fine, but when allowed to cool down it takes multiple attempts to start. I'm wondering if there is a temperature sensor that is sending the wrong information to the ECU because it acts like a lean condition. There's what appears to be a temp sensor in the air box, but is there another temp sensor somewhere?

Any other ideas on why it's difficult to start when the engine is cold?

Thanks!

Jason

Its resistance gets lower the hotter it gets, its called negative temperature coefficient. Connect an ohm meter up to it , place it in water and heat it up, my manual give readings for every 10 degrees , It goes from around 9700 ohms at zero C down to 204 ohms at 100C. The air temp sensor is a NTC component too. This is read by the ECU which then controls the stepper motor, I would have thought there would be a stepper motor if its fuel injected. Could be wrong, it has been known.

Its resistance gets lower the hotter it gets, its called negative temperature coefficient. Connect an ohm meter up to it , place it in water and heat it up, my manual give readings for every 10 degrees , It goes from around 9700 ohms at zero C down to 204 ohms at 100C. The air temp sensor is a NTC component too. This is read by the ECU which then controls the stepper motor, I would have thought there would be a stepper motor if its fuel injected. Could be wrong, it has been known.
Ok, thank you for the resistance instructions for the temp sensor.

Jason

It helps if you have cleaned the air bypass screw, they get gummy. No stepper but you do have a advance lever which will give it more fuel. You can also screw IN the airscrew to make idle richer & out is leaner. Both L & R should be the same.

It helps if you have cleaned the air bypass screw, they get gummy. No stepper but you do have a advance lever which will give it more fuel. You can also screw IN the airscrew to make idle richer & out is leaner. Both L & R should be the same.
Thank you for that information.

Yes, I have a lever on the left handlebar but all it does as act as a throttle. So what is the black gizmo with the yellow painted screw in this picture?

Attachments

• 20230822_181754.jpg
    20230822_181754.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 22
You should have an engine temperature sensor, an instrument air temperature sensor, and an intake temperature sensor. I would start just by checking all three with a multimeter, it's quick and easy. Although, I don't think the instrument temp sensor relates to fuelling, just engine and intake.

Page 31 in the manual has the locations, and the following pages have the relevant values.

I am seeing what looks like a foam air filter clamped to the throttle body in your picture of the TPS - so where is the intake temp sensor? It's a little u-shaped guy, usually in the air filter box. Have you removed this?

Since the GTM tool apparently does not reset your TPS, you'll have to find a shop with the axone tool or PADS. I think the TPS reset should be done regularly.

Unfortunately, the Guzzi shops in the Houston, Texas area have a poor reputation for knowing anything about the brand and so I'm hesitant to let them monkey around with my ECU and TPS, especially considering that my throttle response is excellent.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Jason
Have you checked with MPH in Houston to see if they have the Techno Research software on hand? or the older Axone?

No, but that's a good idea.

However, Mike at MPH is no longer a Guzzi dealer, but perhaps he will still work on them.

Jason
Worth a try. He still makes the relay kit for the starter relay on CARC bikes. Also he still has Guzzi tech info on his web site.

When I purchased the bike it came with two K & N filters that were scrunched up beneath the gas tank; they were a pitiful sight. The air temp sensor was installed in the plastic end cap of one of the filters. So I removed the two K & N filters and installed two Uni filters and reinstalled the air temp sensor on left-hand filter.

Regarding the sensors you pointed out, I found them: "Head temperature sensor"; "Intake air temperature sensor" and the "Instrument panel air sensor" However, it's my understanding that the "Instrument panel air sensor" provides temperature read-out on my dashboard only and does not interact with the ECU; am I wrong about that assumption? At any rate, the instrument panel air sensor is providing accurate ambient air temperature, so I don't think it's at fault.

Regarding the TPS, I have crisp throttle response throughout the entire rev-range, so I'm inclined to believe that the TPS does not need resetting. But believe me I would if I could. I spent what I consider to be BIG$$$ on the flash tool only to discover it will not reset the TPS on my bike.

Unfortunately, the Guzzi shops in the Houston, Texas area have a poor reputation for knowing anything about the brand and so I'm hesitant to let them monkey around with my ECU and TPS, especially considering that my throttle response is excellent.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Jason
I think your assumption about the instrument panel sensor is correct, that has been my belief and the manual seems to suggest so. But, I don't know for certain.

TPS reset is a good idea generally, but no reason to get sidetracked - step one is still to pick up your multimeter :)

also - did this just start happening? or has it been the case ever since you owned the bike? maybe the lack of air box without appropriate fueling adjustment is the real reason.

Just guessing here but, on the 98 EV there was a setting that you could use a digital meter for setting the TPS and it worked better than the computer. Do some research on that maybe the same applies.

also - did this just start happening? or has it been the case ever since you owned the bike? maybe the lack of air box without appropriate fueling adjustment is the real reason.
It has been difficult to start cold since I got the bike on very sporadic basis. Now, it's difficult whenever the engine has cooled down to ambient temperature.

Jason

UPDATE:
I tested the relationship between resistance and temperature on the intake air temperature and engine temperature sensor and all seems OK per the published values in the shop manual.

One thing I found odd was that the engine temperature sensor did not seem very tight in its socket when I removed it for testing. Moreover, when I threaded it back in its "home" it would not get very tight. Also, the socket appears to be made of some sort of plastic material, which seems odd to me. Any thoughts on the strange fit of the engine temp sensor?

Jason

I have a thought-------------don't strip it. My 98EV is similar. Trick is to put some copper anti seeze on the tip for good transfer to sensor.
For mine there is an all metal one if needed. At least there were some.

On my Breva, the plastic fitting has a copper base, washer and thread that goes into the cylinder, i put some heat transfer paste inside the plastic that I use on transistor heatsinks then put the sensor back in. Dont strip/crack the plastic fitting as V700Steve says when putting it in the cylinder or when screwing in the sensor. My Breva is 17 yrs old and the plastic is very fragile.

On my Breva, the plastic fitting has a copper base, washer and thread that goes into the cylinder, i put some heat transfer paste inside the plastic that I use on transistor heatsinks then put the sensor back in. Dont strip/crack the plastic fitting as V700Steve says when putting it in the cylinder or when screwing in the sensor. My Breva is 17 yrs old and the plastic is very fragile.
I'm afraid the previous owner stripped the threads in the plastic receptacle, hence the inability for the sensor tighten much beyond finger tight.

I wonder if the plastic bit is replaceable?

Jason

P.S.: I answered my own question. The receptacle is P/N GU03163330 if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Jason, that receptacle being loose won't effect cold start, but might result in errant readings when the engine is hot. That is the sensor reporting the engine is cooler that it actually is.

Update:

Well, I finally figured out what my cold start problem is/was!

I followed John's suggestion about checking the throttle body synchronization. Following the instructions in the workshop manual I closed the two by-pass screws and checked the vacuum in each throttle body at about 2,500 RPM. I found them to have virtually the same amount of vacuum. At this point I would typically disconnect the vacuum gauge, reconnect the balance tube and set the idle speed to 1,100 rpm by opening each by-pass screws the same amount.

But this time I left the vacuum gauge connected and adjusted the two by-pass screws to achieve 1,100 rpm and have the SAME vacuum.

What a difference; it now starts with just a couple of engine revolution when cold--every time!

Thanks to everyone's help and suggestions I was steered in the right direction and solved my cold start problem!

Jason

Back