• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Conversion to Long Distance Scrambler. Advice needed please.

next_horizon

Just got it firing!
Hello Everyone,
First, I am in the right forum section with this?
I've owned a Stelvio for the last 4 years; took me successfully from London to Mongolia and back with some side trips to the Baltics and the Balkans. Great bike - but I'm approaching 70 and don't have the strength & the stamina that I once had.
I decided to get a smaller bike; only a Guzzi would do so I bought a 2010 V7 Cafe for a very good price.
The project now is to convert it to an upright position so that I can do the miles in comfort and handle dirt roads and massive potholes :)
Before anyone says anything .. yes I could have bought a Stone or whatever but I didn't as this bike came with a spare tank, cafe seat & clip on drop bars plus dual seat and original exhaust plus the Racer panels. This means I can have two bikes with different paint jobs and styles for the price of one. Well more or less :)
So.. some advice that I need.
1. I want a sit up position like the Stelvio. Which bars and risers would you recommend?
2. A good screen that I can remove quickly
3. Tyres - I'd like Conti TKC 80 or 70 (had both on Stelvio - superb) but I don't think they do the sizes so maybe Heidenau? Have to be 60-70 to 40-30 off road use.
4. Electrics - I run electric jacket & pants and phone is permanently charging as I use it as GPS. Will also want to run some small auxiliary lights mounted to a crash bar and maybe put HID into headlight. Will this be too much draw on the battery? It was ok on Stelvio, but the V7?
5. Seat: the overall concept is long distance retro scrambler.. without the scrambler pipes :) I'll be recovering the dual seat so I'll change the foam. I have memory foam implants on the stelvio and it works well - has anyone had experience with get inserts for long distance usage?
That will do for now.. but there will be more :)
Thanks in advance :)
Best & Cordially,
Derek

Derek Mansfield
http://derekmansfield.com/notes
NOTES FROM THE ROAD VOL IV
Like no other travel stories you've ever read

Last edited:
My dad rode an R90 until he was 85. You've got lots of riding yet to go.

I just took the handlebars off my V7. Stockers really put you in a "sit up and beg" position. Without a windshield, I was a sail out on the slab (half of my commute). Stock bars might be what you are looking for.

I just took the handlebars off my V7. Stockers really put you in a "sit up and beg" position. Without a windshield, I was a sail out on the slab (half of my commute). Stock bars might be what you are looking for.

Thanks Joe... and encouraging about your Pa :)
Anyone tried Renthals or similar. These bars are going to be painted anyway...

Another question Joe... I'm removing clip -ons.. wondering about whether I'll need to renew all the control cables. Did you havemuch cable "showing" when your changed your bars?

I've looked into clip-ons for my bike. It's newer than yours. but the Racer has clip-ons and different part numbers for cables. I think you're going to need longer cables. It's one thing to have too much cable (you can kinda stash them), but too short just won't work.

A moderator over on WG (rocker59) put Norman Hyde M Bars on his V7 and really likes them. Todd has some offerings in his store (click above).

Last edited:
I've looked into clip-ons for my bike. It's newer than yours. but the Racer has clip-ons and different part numbers for cables. I think you're going to need longer cables. It's one thing to have too much cable (you can kinda stash them), but too short just won't work.

A moderator over on WG (rocker59) put Norman Hyde M Bars on his V7 and really likes them. Todd has some offerings in his store (click above).
Good advice on both counts Pokeyjoe... thanks a million :)

Hey Derek, I just put 250 miles on my V7 Stone today, with some dirt sections and chopped up tar sections. Bone stock, and I plan on making it a scrambler as well. Tires is the tough part for my 18" aluminum front wheel. If you have spoke rim, you should be fine with the TKC 80.

I'm thinking of trying the 4.00 x 18 TKC 80 on my front rim without a tube, and if it doesn't hold air, put it on another bike I have. I called Conti up and asked what the major issues were, have not received a call back.

V7 parker lake 1 V7 parker lake 3

Both bikes are mine, and I really like the V7 for this kind of driving. It did amazingly well on the dirt roads with ruts and chuck holes. The Husky is better on more technical dirt and standing on the pegs.

I had thought about different bars and looks like it is easy enough to put fatbars on it, but these stock bars are pretty nice. I got the shocks ironed out a bit, just changed the fork oil to 5 weight and all is good. Been looking at the Shinko e805 for the rear, and probably the tkc 80 on the front.

But one thing I need is a foam air filter for it. Uni doesn't seem to make one for it yet. I have to pull it, and check, the husky filter may fit.

I have been looking at the Arrow pipes, and have decided to just run these. I may build a bash plate, but again, not planning on serious off road riding with the V7, the XR250 is for that.

Hey Derek, I just put 250 miles on my V7 Stone today, with some dirt sections and chopped up tar sections. Bone stock, and I plan on making it a scrambler as well. Tires is the tough part for my 18" aluminum front wheel. If you have spoke rim, you should be fine with the TKC 80.

I'm thinking of trying the 4.00 x 18 TKC 80 on my front rim without a tube, and if it doesn't hold air, put it on another bike I have. I called Conti up and asked what the major issues were, have not received a call back.

View attachment 9671 View attachment 9673

Both bikes are mine, and I really like the V7 for this kind of driving. It did amazingly well on the dirt roads with ruts and chuck holes. The Husky is better on more technical dirt and standing on the pegs.

I had thought about different bars and looks like it is easy enough to put fatbars on it, but these stock bars are pretty nice. I got the shocks ironed out a bit, just changed the fork oil to 5 weight and all is good. Been looking at the Shinko e805 for the rear, and probably the tkc 80 on the front.

But one thing I need is a foam air filter for it. Uni doesn't seem to make one for it yet. I have to pull it, and check, the husky filter may fit.

I have been looking at the Arrow pipes, and have decided to just run these. I may build a bash plate, but again, not planning on serious off road riding with the V7, the XR250 is for that.

Excellent information - I have to go to France for the day... I'll re-read later :)

As stated above, you will require new cables if you want to switch out to riser handle bars (similar to the stock Stone or Special bars) and vice versa.

At 66, I'm a mere child by comparison, but I had my seat custom rebuilt right after I bought it a couple of years ago. Original cover, new waterproof 'undercover' between the cover and the foam, a layer of better foam, a divot for my aging, umm, prostate, some flattening where I sit, and some small 'wing' inserts to widen it a bit under my butt. I'm not large, but it all made a significant difference. Looks virtually identical to the OEM seat unless one looks closely. Well worth the cost.

Although I originally bought it as a town runabout, I've used it for some fairly long tours. Nothing quite like your Mongolian adventure, however. Some research on rear suspension travel and possible driveshaft issues might be worthwhile if you consider that in your scramblerization. I've ridden on unpaved rough roads, but I've been very careful to avoid the kind of large bumps and holes that my F800GS would just float over. I suspect that fitting a taller front tire might cause you fender clearance problems. I just stick to street tires and avoid slick muddy places, or exercise caution when I can't avoid them.

1. I want a sit up position like the Stelvio. Which bars and risers would you recommend?
2. A good screen that I can remove quickly
3. Tyres - I'd like Conti TKC 80 or 70 (had both on Stelvio - superb) but I don't think they do the sizes so maybe Heidenau? Have to be 60-70 to 40-30 off road use.
4. Electrics - I run electric jacket & pants and phone is permanently charging as I use it as GPS. Will also want to run some small auxiliary lights mounted to a crash bar and maybe put HID into headlight. Will this be too much draw on the battery? It was ok on Stelvio, but the V7?
5. Seat: the overall concept is long distance retro scrambler.. without the scrambler pipes :) I'll be recovering the dual seat so I'll change the foam. I have memory foam implants on the stelvio and it works well - has anyone had experience with get inserts for long distance usage?
Congrats Derek, and welcome to the GT Famiglia. The Stelvio sure is great fun, but a dirt bike it is not. I understand your dilemma.
See below per above:
1. I think you can achieve the same result with a set of dirt bike handlebars. Risers not needed, cables would be. As mentioned above, the Stone cables have an easy reach for the widest of bars I've put on. Have a look at my LSL offerings HERE - either Dirt track or Brooks Bar.
2. Look to my Givi offerings on the Store link above.
3. Tires are all over, but the Heindau's seems to get decent reviews. TKC's are short-life, but you know that already. I don't personally use bias plies.
4. The '09-15 V7 has enough power to run most things. I'd go LED headlight instead of HID, but your choice.
5. Tons of seat options including our own KoF, which I'll have a link to here soon.

As stated above, you will require new cables if you want to switch out to riser handle bars (similar to the stock Stone or Special bars) and vice versa.
Thanks; I'll take the advice about the bars and get onto to the cables. Interestingly one quote I have puts OEM bars at £90 ($145) and
£420.00 ( $630) for the fittings & cables.
So I'll be posting for used items soon :)

Congrats Derek, and welcome to the GT Famiglia. The Stelvio sure is great fun, but a dirt bike it is not. I understand your dilemma.
See below per above:
1. I think you can achieve the same result with a set of dirt bike handlebars. Risers not needed, cables would be. As mentioned above, the Stone cables have an easy reach for the widest of bars I've put on. Have a look at my LSL offerings HERE - either Dirt track or Brooks Bar.
2. Look to my Givi offerings on the Store link above.
3. Tires are all over, but the Heindau's seems to get decent reviews. TKC's are short-life, but you know that already. I don't personally use bias plies.
4. The '09-15 V7 has enough power to run most things. I'd go LED headlight instead of HID, but your choice.
5. Tons of seat options including our own KoF, which I'll have a link to here soon.
Thanks a million Todd, will take a look at your site later today :)

I'd have thought swapping the front end for something more trail spec would be the biggest step

Wonder weather a v65tt or 650ntx / 750 nth front end would fit the v7 frame. They are taper roller bearing

I'd have thought swapping the front end for something more trail spec would be the biggest step

Wonder weather a v65tt or 650ntx / 750 nth front end would fit the v7 frame. They are taper roller bearing

Thanks for this GuzziV. I've bought a load of used stuff.. cables, bars etc to make some early changes. This project will be in tow stages I think. Things I can do now, and stuff I will have to save some more money for :)

To get the tyres I want - TKC 70s - means I may have to change the front wheel - an unexpected expense - so I'll look at the forks at the same time...

Onward - the next horizon :) :)

Back