• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Special Charging System Problem

H674

Just got it firing!
Hi All, just bought a new 2023 V7 and unfortunately it has charging problems already at less than 700 miles. Battery tested out o.k., but voltage is lower after a ride than before. On one occasion it dropped from 12.8 V to 12.45 V after about 30 minutes of riding at 3000 to 4000 RPM. Yesterday I tested the battery with the following results: Ignition off: 12.71V. Idle: 14.25V. 2000 RPM: 14.4V. 3000 RPM: 14.5V. 4000 RPM: dropping to 13.4V. Idle again: 12.31V. So it seems that after warming up the charging system starts to malfunction. The whole test took about 3 to 4 minutes. Any ideas where to start the troubleshooting? Thanks in advance

I don’t see an issue here. The voltage regulator is going to vary the charging rate and volts but unless the battery is significantly reduced a day or two later, I think you are seeing something not really wrong.

The battery starts the motor without any problems. Actually, when the voltage dropped to 12.45 during the ride I mentioned above, the battery recovered to 12.61 by the next day and then to 12.64 the following day without being on the trickle charger. I thought that was good. What has me worried is that the charging voltage with engine running is less than the voltage at rest (ignition off). Wouldn't that eventually drain the battery on longer rides? The manual states a voltage in the 13 to 14 range, motor running. Dave N., I know that returning it to the dealer would be an option, but it is more then 200 mi over the Rockies, too cold. So I rather try to solve the issue, if there is one, myself. Thanks guys for the replies.

If the voltage is falling, it's likely a bad battery. Most ALL AGM batteries are rushed into service these days. Some last days to weeks. The Made in China stator or VR could be failing as well. All are warranty items.
But I can be ignored or try to be proved wrong as always. :smirk:

These modern charging systems are different from "the old days" Just reading about the charging system on my V100 and there is a note saying "When the voltage at the load reaches 14.82V, the generator output current will be close to zero." Its the same with my car, once the battery is charged the alternator it is turned off by the ECU. I think scottmastrocinque is correct, you may be chasing your tail.

Just reading about the charging system on my V100 and there is a note saying "When the voltage at the load reaches 14.82V, the generator output current will be close to zero."
The V7 uses the older crank nose style wet (now Made in China) stator and voltage regulator. Your comment above is not correct for this model. All of the high-mount alternator big blocks do use an onboard VR.

Thanks for all the inputs. So I did check the battery terminals and the ground post on the transmission. All tight and clean as new. Bad battery was my first thought also. Had it tested at two battery shops (both clearly with an incentive to sell me a new one) and it tested out as being in top condition both times. I will see whether I can get a loaner and test the charging voltages again , just to make sure battery is not the issue. If that checks out, maybe stator test next. Does the tank have to come of for that or does it slide back far enough to reach the connectors?

I don’t see an issue here. The voltage regulator is going to vary the charging rate and volts but unless the battery is significantly reduced a day or two later, I think you are seeing something not really wrong.
This, If the bike starts there is no issue, all charging numbers are in line with factory specs.
This is why I asked if it fails to start.
They had ones charging too much at one time not long ago & were cooking the batteries. REMEMBER it's a 12V system
If it starts ride it.

Yes Scott, the charging system definitely operates within specs immediately after engine start, 14.xx V around 3000 rpm. But after a short time, 3-5 minutes, it dropped down to 13.xx V and then to 12.3 at idle. From then on out it never got to above 12.6x V even at 3000 rpm, and that is below specs which are 13 to 15 V. So something odd seems to happen after the system is warmed up. And as I said initially, the voltage at the battery terminals is LOWER after a ride than before it. That cannot be right I think. But I have been wrong before (and I hate when that happens). :)

Yes Scott, the charging system definitely operates within specs immediately after engine start, 14.xx V around 3000 rpm. But after a short time, 3-5 minutes, it dropped down to 13.xx V and then to 12.3 at idle. From then on out it never got to above 12.6x V even at 3000 rpm, and that is below specs which are 13 to 15 V. So something odd seems to happen after the system is warmed up. And as I said initially, the voltage at the battery terminals is LOWER after a ride than before it. That cannot be right I think. But I have been wrong before (and I hate when that happens). :)
In that case have your dealer check it out to be sure. Please let us know the outcome.

FWIW I was quite surprised when I used the UpMap live data display on my 2021 V7 850 Special. The voltage varies quite a bit for a while after starting and, presumably, recovering the charge lost in cranking the engine. It even exceeded 15v briefly. The bike will be three years old in June. The original battery is still fine as far as I know. (Currently on maintenance as the bike is off road for winter).
I just don’t think there’s anything wrong here; if you hadn’t checked it you’d have been none the wiser….

@ Speciality: Yes, you are right, because no problems were showing during engine start or riding.
What triggered my curiosity was an unusually long time (5+ hours) on my 1.5 amp trickle charger in 'charging' mode. I have 2 other motorcycles which I routinely put on a charger after a ride, and the time in charging mode is about 15 minutes, sometimes less, before they go into 'maintenance' mode. Yesterday I swapped batteries with my RE Int650, same results on the voltage values. So I can probably rule out the battery as the 'culprit', Next step planned: Check connections in the charging system for problems and then do a stator test. If that checks out o.k. concentrate on Reg/Rec. I will report results.

If the battery is not in need of electricity, the charging system will REDUCE the voltage sent to it. You don't actually think it will continuously send 14.xx volts the entire time do you? You would cook off the battery.

I honestly think you are not seeing this clearly so I give up. Good luck.

No, I do not think that the system continuously sends 14.xxV to the battery, but at least enough to cover the load of ECU, lights etc. So when I start a ride with 12.8xV (100%) and end up with 12.45 V (~ 70%) after about 30 min of riding something is amiss I think. What might happen after a ride of 3-4 hours if this discharging trend continues? Unfortunately I will not be able to test this scenario until next spring. Maybe I just wait till then. Thanks for all your replies.

Back