• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 V85 valves adjustment first time on a new bike

dpancevac

Just got it firing!
Hi,
I have purchased V7 new from a dealer and V85 from a first owner who didn't do valves check before I've bought the bike from him.
On both bikes after 3000km I have checked valves and found the clearance loose, bigger than factory specs.
First I did it on V7 and after two months on V85.
Before valve check I had V7 stalled few times on idle and taking long time to get even worm. When I start it half warm after a short parking it would always stall on next few start on traffic light.
After setting intake to 0.10mm and exhaust to 0.15mm V7 gets warmer sooner and more hot than before. I can smell dust from exhaust burning and when I shut it down I hear metal parts knocking because they are shrinking. I don't have problem with stalling and bike pulls much better.
Same impressions are with V85. After valve setting to factory specs , again intake 0.10mm exhaust 0.15mm, bike runs much much hotter and pulls way better.
I was riding Harleys and they also get crazy hot but somehow I don't feel it on open road. With V85 I feel the heat even on open road.
Because I am new to Guzzis, is it ok for them to get crazy hot.
And real questions is did anybody else found clearances to be loose on new 2019-2023 bikes.
Because, by wear, valves should get clearances tighter not looser, and my guess is, because those bike were new , in factory either they get looser settings or rockers get loose or it is because of bedding. Manual says valves should be checked on first service at 1500km and then after 10000km
I know now that Guzzis put special, thiker oil with molybden additive for bedding, in first installation in factory and all oils should be replaced on fist service with proper ones.
Could it be , valves get loose because of bedding,
What are your experiences, btw is there a data how hot cylinders heads should be, I can measure with infrared thermometer.

Thanks for your post.

I have yet to do a VA on mine -- tho just did an oil, and oil and air filters change on it.

I'll only comment on the "heat" issue.

I think there have been a lot of comments here about engine heat, albeit not limited to the V85, so consider a search for that and, possibly, the other issues you mention.

First, I have not measured heat at headers or anywhere, but might do that now just to see.

And, as with rain when riding, heat -- especially with air-cooled machines -- simply "comes with the territory." Yes, this may be more of an issue with some makes and models, but it is a fact of life.

It has been my experience -- in other words, YMMV -- that my gear has more to do with comfort in heat than any other factor. I wear ATGATT, period, no matter how short the ride. Yesterday, I rode (actually, flogged :clap:) my V85 on a local 16-mile (delightful) loop to check on oil tightness before an impending long trip. Still, wore it all.

If I had worn jeans, I'd have thought that I had ridden a volcano! :devil:

I certainly don't mean to come across as patronizing -- as I so often do unintentionally. Heck, for all I now, you wear full leathers every time that you ride. I simply wanted to convey my view that heat is often "in the pants of the beholder." :giggle:

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I have always wanted to ride in Serbia. At my age, that is unlikely to happen, but it has long been a goal.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post.

I have yet to do a VA on mine -- tho just did an oil, and oil and air filters change on it.

I'll only comment on the "heat" issue.

I think there have been a lot of comments here about engine heat, albeit not limited to the V85, so consider a search for that and, possibly, the other issues you mention.

First, I have not measured heat at headers or anywhere, but might do that now just to see.

And, as with rain when riding, heat -- especially with air-cooled machines -- simply "comes with the territory." Yes, this may be more of an issue with some makes and models, but it is a fact of life.

It has been my experience -- in other words, YMMV -- that my gear has more to do with comfort in heat than any other factor. I wear ATGATT, period, no matter how short the ride. Yesterday, I rode (actually, flogged :clap:) my V85 on a local 16-mile (delightful) loop to check on oil tightness before an impending long trip. Still, wore it all.

If I had worn jeans, I'd have thought that I had ridden a volcano! :devil:

I certainly don't mean to come across as patronizing -- as I so often do unintentionally. Heck, for all I now, you wear full leathers every time that you ride. I simply wanted to convey my view that heat is often "in the pants of the beholder." :giggle:

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I have always wanted to ride in Serbia. At my age, that is unlikely to happen, but it has long been a goal.
As for the heat, I know what comes with air cooled and I am ok with that, I am afraid for the bike :) I wear think jeans and leather jacket almost all the time. Though I have once almost suffered burns on my legs stuck in city center of Belgrade on 1450cc Dyna ;) in too much thin jeans :) so I get you on that point.

I just rode V85 again and was soaking wet. I get Bill's advice even more seriously.
Can it be that V85's fuel tank is directing more heat to the driver by it's shape. And being plastic it pushes it away from itself.
On V7 I don't feel that much hot and it has metal tank that takes a lot of heat to itself and shape is not so aerodynamic like on V85.

I just rode V85 again and was soaking wet. I get Bill's advice even more seriously.
Can it be that V85's fuel tank is directing more heat to the driver by it's shape. And being plastic it pushes it away from itself.
On V7 I don't feel that much hot and it has metal tank that takes a lot of heat to itself and shape is not so aerodynamic like on V85.
And if valves are a little loose, except from running cooler and I need to rev it more, can it damage the engine. I'am just considering returning clearences to what I've found on the V85 or at least 0.02mm looser it was near 0.15mm intake and 0.20 exhaust. In guzzi's older manuals, before 2010, those were the specs for small block engines. I'm about to travel 2000km next week, to late and to expensive for me to search for and buy a heat protective gear, it would be cheaper to just loosen valves a little :)

While researching the V85tt as a potential next bike, a common opinion formed regarding heat. Seems that the large exhaust catalyst directly under (between) your feet is largely to blame. Many replace it with a non-catalyst pipe for some relief, weight loss and performance reasons

I agree that catalyst is to blame and valve clearnces that are in the book would be fine if there was no cat in the pipes.
So, I couldn't quickly eliminate the cat but I did valve adjustment again. Only intake side and loosen them to 0.15mm ( until I eleminate the cat ) . Bike runs perfect now. I gets warm after 20min which is ok and gives me enough time around city before I get to sweat. It has by design heat directed to the driver, you can't help there much, but when you get to the open road and release the throttle you get comfortable ride by means of heat and it is not like riding a volcano :)

Back