• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7iii Special coming soon - farkles?

Dinsdale Piranha

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Greetings and salutations from the glorious Great Southern region of Sou'west WestOz. Been lurking for a week or 2, but this my 1st post.

I'm planning on buying a new V7iii Special sometime in the next month(ish) (my 1st Gutz) and I have quite a few questions if I may.

About the alternator/charging system:
1. Is the alternator actually 270w or 330w? MG can't make up their mind.
2. Is it really single phase?
3. Are there higher output aftermarket stators available? 500w or more would be nice.
4. Is the rectifier/regulator of the MOS-FET variety?
5. If not, are there good quality aftermarket MOS-FET ones available?
... and still electrical:
6. Is the electrical system of the CAN-BUS variety? I sure hope not.
7. I understand that there's no discrete flasher relay. I want to use LED bulbs, so will the system
respond properly to using resistors in series with the LED bulbs? In fact I'll change all of the
lights to LEDs.

I'm thinking of fitting a (copy of a) Le Mans 850 Mk1 fairing onto it. Have others done this or is it too impractical? This is primarily a concession to aesthetics coz I like the look of bikini fairings and the Le Mans one keeps it in the Gutz family so to speak. It's also small enough to not dominate the rest of the bike.

I definitely want a centre stand. Can I have one with this 2 into 1 exhaust system? I'm guessing not.
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-ss-v7-2-1/

Maybe I'll stop there for now. Hope this is OK.

Welcome (in advance) to the Famiglia.

Most of your questions are already well answered in this section, just try a search or spend a little more time poking around. In short;
1. 270
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. Yes, outlined on this Forum
6. No
7. You will need a load resistor for the system if you don't want to see an error on the speedo if you convert to LED, i.e.;

Fairing installation sounds interesting, and time/money intensive, so up to you!

No, a center-stand will not work with my 2>1.

With respect to aftermarket exhaust systems:
I see that some come as a complete system (headers and mufflers), and some just as slip-on mufflers. I've never had a FI bike before, so I'm entering a steep learning curve here. In fact, I'm so ignorant about this stuff that I don't even know the relevant questions to ask, so please bear with me. I have searched, but I can't find the answers to these questions - at least not in a form I recognize.
1. Is there a benefit to replacing the headers, such as larger inside diameter or is it just aesthetics?
2. Do the new header systems have cat/cons in them? Where is it in the standard bike?
3. Are the O2 sensors still present with a complete new system? Where are they in a standard bike?
I'm not even sure if I need the O2 sensors or a cat/con. I'm pretty sure that our laws are still pretty lax where motorbikes are concerned. Besides, I'm keen to get rid of superfluous stuff. We have to search around to buy ethanol fuel, so I'll be running on petrol only. We have 91, 95 and 98 octane (RON) available almost everywhere, so which would be the recommended one to use?

I do have a heap more questions, so tell me to stop when the welcome mat is becoming worn. My nearest MG dealer is a little over 260 miles away, and the next closest is 1,630 miles. Not a lot of opportunity to get to either for a chat.

No worries...
1. Yes, larger diameter along with fuel injection map corrections = more power and cooler running.
2. No, cats are in the stock mufflers.
3. Yes, one in each header under the transmission... or at least the bungs for them. They must remain unless a performance map is used to eliminate them.

Hey Dinsdale, how's your brother Doug? Is he still in the clink?
Yea, Spiny Norman keeps him comforted now.

Congrats, btw, you've no idea how very few people know who Doug and Dinsdale Piranha were. For a few years, about 13 years ago, a friend and I ran a home hobby business called The Other Other Operation. He was Doug and I was Dinsdale. It was a web based operation and we sold (and made some) Linux trinkets. My favourite trinkets were a couple of key covers we made - the "Any" key and the "Other" key.

Btw, where is Lac Ste. Marie, Qc? I'm in the Southern-most town in Western Australia (west Oz), Albany. It's the oldest European settlement in West Oz, founded Dec 26th, 1826. So you see we're not 200 years old yet.
'

Lac Ste. Marie, Quebec is a small town (200 people) about 80 km north of Canada's Capital Ottawa. It was settled in 1840. There's a decent sized ski resort here and I live walking distance from it.

Lac Ste. Marie, Quebec is a small town (200 people) about 80 km north of Canada's Capital Ottawa. It was settled in 1840. There's a decent sized ski resort here and I live walking distance from it.
All our skiing is done on water, and even then, seldom on lakes. Most of our lakes are dried out salt pans.

I'd like to follow up on this answer from above if I may, from anyone who knows:

"You will need a load resistor for the system if you don't want to see an error on the speedo if you convert to LED, i.e.;

With flashers I usually simply replace the bulbs with LEDs. I would also usually replace the flasher relay with a load independent one. I find I can't do that, so series resistors are in order for the flashers - qed!!

However, the above reply appears to suggest that LED head and tail lamps will also throw up a system error. Is this so, and if so, what's the work-around? I see that Todd sells LED headlamps, so I assume there's a way to do it.

Ta
Dins

Back